Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Robert Morein Robert Morein is offline

Default America has a great new concert hall

In article , "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"dave weil" wrote in message
The Schermerhorn is finally open. It's a stunning hall and it's
reported to have incredible acoustics. It's very similar to both
Boston Symphony Hall and the Concertgeboux in terms of volume,
layout
and seating capacity. The acousticians tried to combine the best
of
both halls, the volume and projection of the Concertgeobux
combined
with the clarity of the Boston. Everything has been factored in,
from
the seat padding to the design of refracting and reflecting
surfaces.
The hall itself is separated from the "outer box" by a three (or
is
it
two?) inch acoustic gap and all of the mechanicals are isolated
in
the
outer box.

Here's the fact sheet:

http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/res/ssc_fact_sheet_10-31.pdf#search=%22
che
rmerhorn%20acoustic%20design%22

Compare to Verizon Hall in Philly. Verizon Hall is separated from
the
"outer box" via a 10 foot space. The outer box stands free within
the
Kimmel Center, which also houses the smaller Perelman Theater.
Unfortunately, it appears to have serious problems. See
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15291303.htm for a
description
of
the
problems.

The ambitious design is described by the acoustic architectural
firm
he

http://www.artec-usa.com/03_projects/performing_arts_venues/kimmel_cente
/ve
rizon_hall_kimmel_philadelphia.html,

"Verizon Hall may be the only concert hall in the world to be
shaped
as
cello, a design proposed by the world-renowned architect, Rafael
Viñoly.
In addition, the hall includes 260,000 cubic feet of coupled
reverberation
space, motorized adjustable acoustical banners, and a three-piece
vertically moving acoustical canopy system, which hangs above the
stage
area. The moving elements can be adjusted to tailor the room,
visually
and
acoustically, to the needs of the performance."

See
http://blogs.ocregister.com/mangan/a...08/post_6.html

Is Boston's Symphony Hall, that plain rectangular box, still
America's
favorite symphony hall?

It is still right up there with the old Carnegie (and some would
argue
also
the new Carnegie) as the best sounding in this country.

I've not had the pleasure of hearing Symphony Hall, but I can testify
that Carnegie is the best hall that I've ever heard, from a variety
of
audience seats and from the conductor podium, bar none. It's not
even
close to anywhere else in my experience.

Jenn, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

From 17th Ave, turn west on W 57th St. and you're right there!

I just want to point out a slight error forgiveable to any out-of-towner:
It's 7th Avenue. There is no 17th Avenue.
By subway, from Penn Station:
Exit Penn Station on the east side at 32 Street. Cross 7th Avenue, walk
east
one block, and enter the Herald Square subway station. Take the N,R,Q,orW
57th Street.

Oh, OK.....

Jenn, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

PRACTICE! (and be very lucky)

and good!

Hey SOUNDHASPRIORITY:
Question to whom I presume is a NYC local:
If I looked down 7th Ave (away from Central Park, Lincoln Center, etc,
toward the Broadway theater area), would the sky there been filled with
the WTC towers? Just trying to get my bearings. I had such a
wonderful NYC trip, but time didn't allow for a "Ground Zero" visit,
regrettably.

Jenn, Soundhaspriority, aka me, aka Bob Morein, actually resides a bit NW of
Philadelphia, 72.07 miles from the WTC as the crow flies. I consider myself
a "virtual", cultural resident of the Big Apple, having made it the center
of my cultural affections many years ago. To compensate for the fact of not
being an actual NYC resident, I did some research with a mapping program,
DeLorme Topo 6.0. The WTC site is 4.10 miles from the intersection of 7th &
57th. That's about 21,000 feet. The towers were about 1400 feet high. From
7th & 57th, the towers reached about 3.6 degrees above the horizon. The
towers were more closely in line with 5th Avenue, two avenues toward the
east. So I doubt, and do not recall, that the towers would have been visible
from the intersection.

When I come out of Penn Station at 7th & 32nd, the Empire State building is
only two avenues east on 33rd Street. Yet it cannot be seen, because nearer,
but shorter buildings take up a much greater vertical angle.

The view of the Towers I remember best is from the New Jersey Transit train
as it approaches NYC from the south on the Amtrak Northeast Corridor. It
passes over miles of wetlands, of marshes of bullrush barely capable of
supporting a man and his dog (a quote, I can't remember from what), the same
land described in the beginning of The Great Gatsby. From this vantage, the
Twin Towers were a glorious symbol for the many foreign tourists who also
take that train. If Chicago is "the city of broad shoulders", NYC was known
as the city of skyscrapers and fast elevators. It was fun to play tour guide
on that train.

But now the towers are gone, anemically replaced by the Empire State, the
Chrysler Building, and, I think, one more building in the financial district
that I can't name. When the Towers stood, I had ambiguous feelings toward
them. I never went inside. Crossing the WTC plaza, they affected me with
inhuman scale, failing to warm the neighborhood, which relied still on
decrepit old buildings on side streets to provide the amenities that make
even a workday existence bearable.

But now they are gone. I miss them the way I miss the other trademark
aspirations to greatness that this country made before encountering the
limits of growth. I'm not sure why. It brings to mind all the contradictions
of being American: opportunities, some real, some virtual, some imaginary.
Patriotism that tries to imply kinship with strangers, yet cities full of
neighborhoods in which I cannot walk. Usenet newsgroups of vicious, hostile
people. Invitations to kindness, or evil. Real heroes who don't know they
are, and people who imagine themselve such.

On a day like this, I define myself by the illusions I choose to keep, the
hopes I cherish, and willing blindness toward omnipresent evil.

Bob Morein
(215) 646-4894

Sorry guys, forgery.

Robert Morein
Shop "N Bag, Penn

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett bassett is offline

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

From 17th Ave, turn west on W 57th St. and you're right there!

&
[...]

Churches will no doubt be along anytime soon, to correct your mistakes, and
give everyone his expert opinion, on all the above.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

"bassett" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

From 17th Ave, turn west on W 57th St. and you're right there!

[...]

Sorry Bassett. Can't oblige. I thought it an excellent and thought-
inspiring thread.

I have worked on recording projects at the Concertgebouw
on several occasions. A wonderful concert hall with fine-sounding
organ.

Unfortunately, I have never been to Boston's Symphony Hall:-(
Maybe one day:-)

I notice, Bassett, that you had no observations to make on
what Robert, Jen, Dave and Harry wrote above. So why
did you bother to post at all? :-((

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

If I looked down 7th Ave (away from Central Park, Lincoln Center,
etc,
toward the Broadway theater area), would the sky there been filled with
the WTC towers?

No. They were further east. I can tell you from personal experience
that had you stood in the middle of 7th Ave in Midtown looking downtown
on September 11th, one could not directly see the smoke plumes, nor,
later the dust cloud. There was a darkness at the end of the island,
just a general haze, but there are too many tall buildings closer in to
have a clear view that far downtown.

Just trying to get my bearings. I had such a
wonderful NYC trip, but time didn't allow for a "Ground Zero" visit,
regrettably.

Well, it will be a long time before anything gets built there, so you
can check again in the future. It's moving.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett bassett is offline

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
. ..

"bassett" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

From 17th Ave, turn west on W 57th St. and you're right there!

[...]

Predictable as always,, where would we all be without the know-all churches
[he doesn't rate a capital letter to his monica ] giving his valuable
opinion on everything. All correct and in it's place.. How bloody boring.

Why would anyone want to talk about the sewer called Americia, Just don't
remind me. been there, done that. and there woman can't give a good head
job to save there lives. But on reflection, there all a lot like you
churches.. there also into self-promotion.

bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

"bassett" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

m...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com

"dave weil" wrote in message
[...]

From 17th Ave, turn west on W 57th St. and you're right there!

[...]

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett bassett is offline

wrote:

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
t...

"bassett" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I know, it's the company I have been keeping, on these-er news groups.
But not to worry Paul, even you left the U out of manoeuver, curse those
typo's.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
roughplanet roughplanet is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message...

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message...

The Schermerhorn is finally open. It's a stunning hall and
itr's reported to have incredible acoustics. It's very similar

http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/res...pdf#search=%22

Compare to Verizon Hall in Philly. Verizon Hall is separated
from the "outer box" via a 10 foot space. The
outer box
stands free within the Kimmel Center, which also houses the
smaller Perelman Theater.
Unfortunately, it appears to have serious problems. See
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15291303.htm for a
description of the problems.

snip further description for the sake of brevity

[...]

Yep, I'm afraid bassett's gone to the dogs. And I disagree most vehemently
about American women (aaaaaaaaaaah....... what a night).

ruff

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 04:45:16 -0400, "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

By which it might be implied that he is currently in an underground pipe
approximately three feet in diameter.

Or should be.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain Bob Cain is offline

roughplanet wrote:

Yep, I'm afraid bassett's gone to the dogs. And I disagree most vehemently
about American women (aaaaaaaaaaah....... what a night).

But the youngn's (under 50 in my frame of reference) walk and move
like men. The emulation doesn't stop there either.

When I go to Paris I am deeply moved by what they think comprises the
feminine. :-)

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:51:20 -0700, Bob Cain
wrote:

When I go to Paris I am deeply moved by what they think comprises the
feminine. :-)

Deeply moved or deeply disturbed?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:42:18 +1000, "bassett"
wrote:

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

Yes I know, it's the company I have been keeping, on these-er news groups.
But not to worry Paul, even you left the U out of manoeuver, curse those
typo's.
bassett

Unfortunately it wasn't your spelling I was referring to.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
bassett bassett is offline

"roughplanet" wrote in message

Yep, I'm afraid bassett's gone to the dogs. And I disagree most vehemently
about American women (aaaaaaaaaaah....... what a night).

ruff

One night,, My point exactly..

I have a system which up to now has worked quite well, If I get a pat on
the head, and a kind smile, I follow them home.
If on the other hand, they laugh at my long ears, and complain about my
short legs, I retreat back into my kennel and stay there till they've gone.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro

wrote:

When I go to Paris I am deeply moved by what they think comprises the
feminine. :-)

Deeply moved or deeply disturbed?

Quite right Paul,, Those bloody frogs are everywhere.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:51:26 +1000, "bassett"
wrote:

I have a system which up to now has worked quite well,

Did you get an extended warranty on it?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro

wrote:

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.

Yes I know, it's the company I have been keeping, on these-er news
groups.
But not to worry Paul, even you left the U out of manoeuver, curse
those
typo's.
bassett

Unfortunately it wasn't your spelling I was referring to.

I never fail to marvel at Bassett's uncanny ability to mis-interpret almost
everything he reads.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro
atec 77 atec 77 is offline

wrote:

You've gone downhill in the last few months, bassett, and there wasn't
a lot of room to manoevre in the first place.
Yes I know, it's the company I have been keeping, on these-er news
groups.
But not to worry Paul, even you left the U out of manoeuver, curse
those
typo's.
bassett

Unfortunately it wasn't your spelling I was referring to.

I never fail to marvel at Bassett's uncanny ability to mis-interpret almost
everything he reads.

It would appear all that nose rubbing as a naughty piddling pup has

effected his cognitive abilities

( thick as a brick wot )