Posted to rec.audio.high-end
adameve

Default Back to Vinyl?

Anyone following this DRM and Sony BMG story? Now, here is another story
from http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ape-defeats-cd

And here I quote:-
"Applying a piece of opaque tape to the outer edge of the disk renders the
data track of the CD unreadable. A computer trying to play the CD will then
skip to the music without accessing the bundled DRM technology.
"After more than five years of trying, the recording industry has not yet
demonstrated a workable DRM scheme for music CDs," Gartner concluded in a
newly published research note.""

Me think Sony now got to rethink whether to go back to Vinyl or cheaperSACD.

Rgds.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mpresley

adameve wrote:
Anyone following this DRM and Sony BMG story? Now, here is another story
from http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ape-defeats-cd

And here I quote:-
"Applying a piece of opaque tape to the outer edge of the disk renders the
data track of the CD unreadable. A computer trying to play the CD will then
skip to the music without accessing the bundled DRM technology.
"After more than five years of trying, the recording industry has not yet
demonstrated a workable DRM scheme for music CDs," Gartner concluded in a
newly published research note.""

Me think Sony now got to rethink whether to go back to Vinyl or cheaperSACD.

Rgds.

This is a pathetic attempt to control your computer and your freedom
(and probably a violation of law). But it is just not something Sony
cooked up on their own. The blogs have plenty of chatter speculating
that this was done with, if not the full knowledge of Microsoft, at
least their blessing. After all, Microsoft would like nothing better
than to control every PC out there regardless of how low they have to
go; and they are professionals when it comes to going really low.

And where were the antivirus software companies? Given the sorry state
of Windows security, how did they let a malicious rootkit get through?
Is Peter Norton as guilty as Sony in all of this.

Better to use Linux or freeBSD, or another OS that respects freedom (if
you can find one). I'd like to throw OSX into this mix of "white hats",
but I wouldn't trust Jobs as far as I can throw a G-5.

As far as going back to records? It would be better just to never buy a
Sony product again.

michael
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

mpresley writes:

As far as going back to records? It would be better just to never buy a
Sony product again.

Indeed.

Certainly I will not consider Sony products, at least not until
they make some very public apologies and believable statements
about changing their policies.