Brian

Default Beating the Miller Effect

Lately I've been having fun finding small tube amps at estate sales
and restoring them. But in more than one case, I've found that the
frequency response varies with the volume setting. This turns out to
be due to the Miller effect, where the triode grid-plate capacitance
gets multiplied by the tube gain and forms a lowpass filter with the
high-resistance volume control feeding the grid. In one amp the
rolloff was 3 dB down at just 7 kHz with the pot at midsetting.

I've been able to improve the response by shunting the pot sections
with resistors, or by feeding back voltage to the formerly grounded
pot arm, which effectively lowers the pot resistance. But these
methods never completely flatten the response, and they have side
effects. Adding a cascode stage ought to fix the problem, but I really
don't want to do any metalwork modifications. Converting to a pentode
also should work, but for one reason or another this hasn't been
feasible. Is there a simple way to beat the Miller effect?

Brian
Shiva

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Brian -
If i understand you correctly, it's not the Miller effect you're battlin'
with - it's a simple case of an RC network, where the C (a couplin' cap or
some such) satys the same, while the vol. pot it's feeding varies. It's
one of the drawbacks of KISS - the volume also acts like a trle cut at
lower-than max volumes...
Hope this helps & I'm not totally off the mark. Schematics would help...
-dim

John Byrns

In article , "Shiva"
wrote:

Hi Brian -
If i understand you correctly, it's not the Miller effect you're battlin'
with - it's a simple case of an RC network, where the C (a couplin' cap or
some such) satys the same, while the vol. pot it's feeding varies. It's
one of the drawbacks of KISS - the volume also acts like a trle cut at
lower-than max volumes...
Hope this helps & I'm not totally off the mark. Schematics would help...

Isn't the "C" in this case due to the Miller effect, or at least the real
"C" gets greatly multiplied by the Miller effect? Not sure why you say
it's not the Miller effect Brian is battling?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Paul Sanchez

Where are you putting the cathode-foller stage? Before/after the volume
control?
Thanks

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Shiva"
wrote:

Hi Brian -
If i understand you correctly, it's not the Miller effect you're

battlin'
with - it's a simple case of an RC network, where the C (a couplin' cap

or
some such) satys the same, while the vol. pot it's feeding varies.

It's
one of the drawbacks of KISS - the volume also acts like a trle cut at
lower-than max volumes...
Hope this helps & I'm not totally off the mark. Schematics would

help...

Isn't the "C" in this case due to the Miller effect, or at least the real
"C" gets greatly multiplied by the Miller effect? Not sure why you say
it's not the Miller effect Brian is battling?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/

Tim Williams

Put a cap between signal input and pot wiper. Ideally it should equal
the ratio of resistance with respect to the miller C, such that it forms
a similar voltage divider to the pot, only of lower impedance at HF.

Or use a 10 to 100k pot.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Lord Valve

Brian wrote:

[...]

Use cheap speakers. ;-)
LV

Brian

If i understand you correctly, it's not the Miller effect you're battlin'
with - it's a simple case of an RC network, where the C (a couplin' cap or

The problem occurs when the wiper of a pot (500K to 1.3 meg) directly
feeds a tride grid (12AU7, 6CG7, or 6SN7). I can see the rolloff when
placing a 10X scope probe on the wiper. The worst rolloff occurs when
the wiper is at the half-resistance point. It is not bad when near
either end. By a process of elimination, I conclude that the rolloff
is due to the Miller effect (there's nothing else around with nearly
enough shunt capacitance).

Brian
BFoelsch

Not really, short of using a compensated stepped attenuator, as used in test
equipment. This problem is a side effect of using high plate circuit
impedances to get lots of gain per stage.. This is one reason why many
excellent preamps used lots of stages, at less gain per stage. Take a look
at a McIntosh C-20, it even uses two volume stages per channel, partly to
work around this type of problem!

This is a very common problem, particularly in amps with lots of switching.
All those shielded cables running to the front panel take their toll. Some
very popular Heathkit products are among the worst offenders. The worst case
I ever saw was a Heathkit AD-40 tape recorder.

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Gilbert Bates

[...]

Just another piece of information...

It's common for the 'input' capacitance at the grid to form a low pass
with the resistance of what ever the grid see to ground through the
pot. It's known that as you increase the value at the wiper to ground
(turning up the volume) that the low pass point shifts down, grid sees
more resistance. A trick is to insert say a 100K-200K resistor between
the wiper and grid to increase the resistance seen by the grid. This
shifts the low pass point down. There is a little bit of signal
dropped across the new resistance, but is minimal.

Craig

said above Isn't the "C" in this case due to the Miller effect, or at
least the real "C" gets greatly multiplied by the Miller effect? Not
sure why you say
it's not the Miller effect Brian is battling?

That's what I thought but WTFDIK. The Miller capacitance is part of
the input capacitance and "forms a lowpass filter with a corner
frequency determined by the source resistance of the previous stage
and the input capacitance." as described he

http://www.aikenamps.com/MillerCapacitance.html

Cheers
Craig Ryder

BFoelsch

"Gilbert Bates" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed, although there are multiple ways to see "to ground."

It's known that as you increase the value at the wiper to ground
(turning up the volume) that the low pass point shifts down, grid sees
more resistance.

Sort of / kind of / up to a point. Depends a lot on the impedance feeding
the pot in relation to the resistance of the pot.

A trick is to insert say a 100K-200K resistor between
the wiper and grid to increase the resistance seen by the grid.

Why? I thought that adding more resistance shifted the low pass DOWN. I want
to shift it UP!

This
shifts the low pass point down. There is a little bit of signal
dropped across the new resistance, but is minimal.

Why should there be any drop if there is no grid current? Seems to
me like a series resistor would just make the low-pass rolloff even lower!

Call me-
Confused in Connecticut.

BFoelsch

Yes indeed. The OP is battling input capacitance; whether it is due to pure
stray/interelectrode capacitance or the Miller multiplication of this
capacitance is a moot point. However, since this is (presumably) a stage
with gain, there will be a great contribution from the Miller effect.

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
said above Isn't the "C" in this case due to the Miller effect, or at
least the real "C" gets greatly multiplied by the Miller effect? Not
sure why you say
it's not the Miller effect Brian is battling?

That's what I thought but WTFDIK. The Miller capacitance is part of
the input capacitance and "forms a lowpass filter with a corner
frequency determined by the source resistance of the previous stage
and the input capacitance." as described he

http://www.aikenamps.com/MillerCapacitance.html

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Carroll Conklin

Brian, The best way to beat this is to use a Kelvin-Varley divider. This can
be accomplished by using a dual linear 50 or 100 k pot. Wire them so that
the tube and source see constant impedance. i.e.as one resistance is
reducing the other is increasing and compensating.

Carroll
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Gilbert Bates

[...]

Sorry, I should have read more into your words 'lowpass' and '7kHz'.
What I stated does shift it down. I really haven't thought about the
miller capacitance impacting circuit operation at such a low
frequency.

This
shifts the low pass point down. There is a little bit of signal
dropped across the new resistance, but is minimal.

Why should there be any drop if there is no grid current? Seems to
me like a series resistor would just make the low-pass rolloff even lower!

I was talking AC response not DC.

Call me-
Confused in Connecticut.

Brian

Put a cap between signal input and pot wiper. Ideally it should equal
the ratio of resistance with respect to the miller C, such that it forms
a similar voltage divider to the pot, only of lower impedance at HF.

If I understand this right, it appears to compensate exactly at only
one pot setting.

Or use a 10 to 100k pot.

This sounds good, but most of the problem pots are right at the amp
input. What is the smallest input resistance I can get away with,
assuming unspecified tube equipment drives the amp? Will just about
anything use a cathode follower?

Brian

Jeff Goldsmith

The simplest ways to reduce Miller affect capacity is to either reduce
the resistance value of the volume control as is possible, go to a lower
Cg-p tube such as 6BK7 instead of 6FQ7 (for example), or using feedback
to the cathode of the stage after the volume control so that it runs at
lower gain thus reduced miller capacity.
Recording studio amplifiers used transformers to lower the Zout of a
stage to ~600 ohms balanced, the attenuator maintains a constant
impedance to the source and practically no treble loss occurs because of
the low impedance.

Jeff Goldsmith

Brian wrote:

[...]

Ronald

Use cheap speakers. ;-)
LV

Hey that's a very cheap answer !! ;-))

Ronald .

Fred Nachbaur

Brian wrote:
If i understand you correctly, it's not the Miller effect you're battlin'
with - it's a simple case of an RC network, where the C (a couplin' cap or

The problem occurs when the wiper of a pot (500K to 1.3 meg) directly
feeds a tride grid (12AU7, 6CG7, or 6SN7). I can see the rolloff when
placing a 10X scope probe on the wiper. The worst rolloff occurs when
the wiper is at the half-resistance point. It is not bad when near
either end. By a process of elimination, I conclude that the rolloff
is due to the Miller effect (there's nothing else around with nearly
enough shunt capacitance).

Brian

Here's a trick worth giving a try; add a "speed-up" capacitor, for lack
of a better descriptive term, between the top of the volume control and
the wiper. Select it such that you get a flat response where the rolloff
is the worst (ohmic center of pot's rotation).

You're essentially curve-fitting at three points now, instead of just
two. At the top end of the pot, input impedance is sufficiently low as
to be ignored, and response is essentially flat. Same at the low end.
And in the middle, it's been "tweaked."

There will still be some variance in frequency response as you turn the
pot, but it won't be nearly as pronounced as before.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Tim Williams

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
If I understand this right, it appears to compensate exactly at only
one pot setting.

Yup. It won't be flat anywhere but at those three settings. I mean, you
could rip a stepped attenuator out of an old scope and use that, but it'll
be stepped... not continuous... Or you could use a variable cap instead,
and get out the scope readjust it every single time you change the volume
control, but somehow I get the feeling you'll settle for the easiest
solution.... ;-)

Or use a 10 to 100k pot.

This sounds good, but most of the problem pots are right at the amp
input. What is the smallest input resistance I can get away with,
assuming unspecified tube equipment drives the amp? Will just about
anything use a cathode follower?

220k. I've seen several preamps that showed a 12AX7 driving a line.
Not a CF. :-/
I'm sure it can still handle 100k, which I use all the time. Of course,
my signal sources are either SS or this preamp here which has CF outputs.
Hopefully you'll have good equipment, in which case a 12AU7 or similar
will be able to drive 10k no problem.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Brian

Here's a trick worth giving a try; add a "speed-up" capacitor, for lack
of a better descriptive term, between the top of the volume control and
the wiper. Select it such that you get a flat response where the rolloff
is the worst (ohmic center of pot's rotation).

Fred, this idea sounded good. I didn't have an amp handy on the bench
so I modeled the circuit. But I found that when optimized for half
scale, the capacitor does not compensate well above half scale. Worse,
below half scale a very pronounced treble peak set in. I tried
adjusting the compensating C value but I could not find anything
satisfactory. I'll check the model once again, but it is so simple I
don't think there are any errors.

Brian
Brian

This is a very common problem, particularly in amps with lots of switching.
All those shielded cables running to the front panel take their toll. Some
very popular Heathkit products are among the worst offenders. The worst case
I ever saw was a Heathkit AD-40 tape recorder.

For RF cables I use 30 pF/ft as an estimate for cable capacitance. Is
there a similar rule-of-thumb for internal shielded audio wiring?

Brian
Phil Allison

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
This is a very common problem, particularly in amps with lots of

switching.
All those shielded cables running to the front panel take their toll.

Some
very popular Heathkit products are among the worst offenders. The worst

case
I ever saw was a Heathkit AD-40 tape recorder.

For RF cables I use 30 pF/ft as an estimate for cable capacitance. Is
there a similar rule-of-thumb for internal shielded audio wiring?

** Cheap, thin gauge shielded cable can be up to 200pF per ft.

Time to get yourself a DMM with a capacitance range - very handy.

............ Phil

Choky

prick

Brian

** Cheap, thin gauge shielded cable can be up to 200pF per ft.

Great heads-up, Phil. I checked the thin 7" cable attached to the
volume control wiper in one of my problem amps. This short piece
measured 80 pF! I found some Belden 8254 (RG-62/U, 93 ohms) in my junk
box. This stuff measured only 13.5 pF/ft. After replacing the thin
cable with RG-62, I no longer needed the shunt resistors I had added
across the 500k pot.

I think I still have a Miller-effect problem with another amp that
uses a 1.3 meg volume control with a nonshielded wire feeding a 6SN7
with its relatively high Cgp. But this cable capacitance problem was a
real eye-opener.

Brian

Patrick Turner

Brian wrote:

[...]

We are left to assume you have a 1 meg volume pot feeding the grid of a
12AX7,
which might have a typical gain of say 60.

The output Z of the pot in mid position is about 250k,
and the input C of the tube is Cin of the tube x gain = approx 100pF,
and hence you have an RC filter with 250k and 100pF,
which has a pole at 6.36 kHz.

So to reduce the bandwidth limiting of the miller effect, you either have
reduce tube gain and or reduce the input R.
It depends where the volume pot occurs, and if it is after
a passive network for tone controls, then lowing the
value of the volume pot will adversly affect the tone control operation.
But perhaps a 500k pot might be sneaked in without ruining the circuit
performance,
and then series R would reduce to 125k.
Using a 12AU7 as a gain tube with gain =12 might be OK,
and Cin would be reduced 3 times, so the
125k and 33pF would give a pole at 38 kHz.
Pasive tone control pots should never be more than 500k imho,
and perhaps even a 250k gain pot could be used.

Food for thought.

Patrick Turner.

Phil Allison

"Brian"

Phil A wrote:

** Cheap, thin gauge shielded cable can be up to 200pF per ft.

Great heads-up, Phil. I checked the thin 7" cable attached to the
volume control wiper in one of my problem amps. This short piece
measured 80 pF! I found some Belden 8254 (RG-62/U, 93 ohms) in my junk
box. This stuff measured only 13.5 pF/ft. After replacing the thin
cable with RG-62, I no longer needed the shunt resistors I had added
across the 500k pot.

** Cool.

I think I still have a Miller-effect problem with another amp that
uses a 1.3 meg volume control with a nonshielded wire feeding a 6SN7
with its relatively high Cgp. But this cable capacitance problem was a
real eye-opener.

** See if you can track down some Belden 83265 ( RG178B/U ) co-ax -
this is 50 ohm, teflon insulated, silver plated copper wire and only 5/64
inch (1.9mm ) diameter !

Nice stuff.

About 29 pF per foot.