Default Why doesn't somebody make a digital recorder like this?

I use a DAW at home, but taking it out to do location recording is a
PITA. At the same time I really wish the DAW had more analog inputs...I
only have 8 to 10 available at once. I plan to get a MOTU 24 i/o at
some point but again that is a mess of stuff to take out live.

Notebooks can be used these days for live recording....but unless you
bring along your interface, and all the ADAT/TFIF adaptor things, you
are again limited to about 8 - 12 tracks. All the portable interfaces I
see say "24 tracks" but they only have 8 analog inputs/outputs...if you
want more you need to hook up ADAT or TDIF boxes...suddenly you have a
notebook, it's audio interface, one or two other hardware boxes and all
the cabling and problems that go with a four piece solution.

The hardware digital recorders on the other hand are fairly small and
compact, and it's all in one box...converters, disk drives, meters,
etc. But the way they integrate with the computer seems pretty klugey.
The one thing nice about them is they are priced at about or below what
24 channels of analog I/O costs...but integration with the DAW is not
as good as a dedicated firewire/PCI interface

What would be cool is if they made a hardware digital recorder that
could be used as a standalone recorder like they are now...OR in your
studio you hook it up to your DAW via firewire and it acts just like a
regular audio interface...bypassing the internal disk drives but still
letting you use the metering.

I guess the Alesis comes the closest to doing this, but their Firewire
transfer is a separate "dock" that you pull the drive out and then blow
into the computer, right? As far as I know you can't run through the
Alesis "live" as a converter to your DAW, right?

Also the FST format of the Alesis needs to be converted to wav, right?

Maybe I am looking at too narrow of a market niche, but at the prices
they go for, a 24 track digital hardware recorder that could double as
an audio interface for a computer would be really cool...

Analogeezer

Jay Kadis

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

How about multiple FireWire boxes like the MOTU 828mkII or the new Traveler?
Those and a laptop (a fast, powerful, expensive one...) would get you there.
Not cheaply, but without too much mess.

-Jay
x CCRMA, Stanford University x
http://www.offbeats.com/ x
Paul Stamler

wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess the Alesis comes the closest to doing this, but their Firewire
transfer is a separate "dock" that you pull the drive out and then blow
into the computer, right? As far as I know you can't run through the
Alesis "live" as a converter to your DAW, right?

I think you can if you connect its ADAT outputs to a DAW that has a 24-track
ADAT interface. Or am I mixed up?

Peace,
Paul

I do have a rackmount computer, but it's quite deep,. That plus you get
no metering with many of the audio interfaces on the market (the MOTU
stuff is an exception).

I'm thinking about how I can get an HD-24 for about what a MOTU 24 i/o
costs, and use it as a standalone so I wouldn't have to drag out a
computer.

I just think if Alesis/Tascam/Fostex/Mackie came out with a new
recorder that acted as in interface too it might extend the lifespan of
said products.

Analogeezer

Predrag Trpkov

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

I guess the Alesis comes the closest to doing this, but their Firewire
transfer is a separate "dock" that you pull the drive out and then blow
into the computer, right? As far as I know you can't run through the
Alesis "live" as a converter to your DAW, right?

I think you can if you connect its ADAT outputs to a DAW that has a

24-track
ADAT interface. Or am I mixed up?

The goal is to avoid fragile and messy optical cables and be able to use a
single firewire cable to connect the recorder/interface to the computer.

I'm currently looking for something like that. No luck so far.

Predrag

Steve Jorgensen

I think the Yamaha AW2816 and its ilk could do that with the mLAN option
board. Of course, the option board alone is $500 which seems like quite a
rip-off to me when a Firewire port for a PC costs under $50.

On 15 Feb 2005 11:33:27 -0800, wrote:

[...]

play_on

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:39:47 -0800, Jay Kadis
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

I use a DAW at home, but taking it out to do location recording is a
PITA.

Yeah, but no worse than hauling around reel-to-reels like people used
to do. Why not mount your DAW and your i/o interface in a nice
portable rack with wheels? There are computer cases that can be rack
mounted. Then you could just carry that around (with your monitor of
course). I agree though, some type of portable product like you
describe would be very cool.

Al

[...]

dale

get a mac laptop and check out metric halo IO 2882 or ULN2
firewire interface and better quality then almost anything else

http://mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/

dale

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

The hardware digital recorders on the other hand are fairly small and
compact, and it's all in one box...converters, disk drives, meters,
etc. But the way they integrate with the computer seems pretty klugey.

That's because they aren't supposed to operate with computers. They're
recorders. My Ampex MM1100 didn't operate with a computer, why should
my hard disk recorder?

However, if I want to, I can import files recorded on the recorder's
hard drive to a computer and use whatever DAW software I want.

The one thing nice about them is they are priced at about or below what
24 channels of analog I/O costs...but integration with the DAW is not
as good as a dedicated firewire/PCI interface

That's because the only thing they have in common with a DAW is the
files they store.

What would be cool is if they made a hardware digital recorder that
could be used as a standalone recorder like they are now...OR in your
studio you hook it up to your DAW via firewire and it acts just like a
regular audio interface...bypassing the internal disk drives but still
letting you use the metering.

I guess the Alesis comes the closest to doing this, but their Firewire
transfer is a separate "dock" that you pull the drive out and then blow
into the computer, right? As far as I know you can't run through the
Alesis "live" as a converter to your DAW, right?

Since both the analog and digital (Lightpipe) outputs are active all
the time, I'll bet you can put a signal into an analog input, watch
the meters, and get a digital output from the optical outputs. All
you'd need is a 24-channel lightpipe card (rather than Firewire) for
your computer and you'd have what you're looking for. RME makes such a
card.

Maybe I am looking at too narrow of a market niche

You are.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Matt

I completely agree with all of this. I think that if Yamaha can come
out with the mLan that functions as either a standalone digital
mixer/computer digital mixer/control surface then one of the said
companies should try to make a recorder that follows this
standalone/computer trend.

Mike Rivers wrote:
In article .com

writes:

I just think if Alesis/Tascam/Fostex/Mackie came out with a new
recorder that acted as in interface too it might extend the

lifespan of
said products.

I don't think it's in the cards.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

dale

metric halo 2882 has decent metering,
maybe you haven't reviewed it yet as it is firewire mac only
dave mathew band uses them for 24 track recording of their live shows
they were used for foley work during the filming of the passion of
christ and bob katz uses them.

dale

Kurt Albershardt

Mike Rivers wrote:

What the geezer really needs is a 24-channel Firewire interface and a
hardware meter bridge. Now why doesn't anybody make that?

Good question, though it can be (sort of) done with multiple boxes.

Software meters always suck.

I beg to differ, at least with respect to RME's Digicheck.

Dorrough and Mytek both sell wonderful hardware meters, but I don't think most people these days are prepared to pay what good meters cost.

IME the cost of a new graphics card and an additional monitor is quite a bit less (and something I'm seriously considering just so I can have Digicheck up and visible all the time.)

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message ...
Mike Rivers wrote:

What the geezer really needs is a 24-channel Firewire interface and a
hardware meter bridge. Now why doesn't anybody make that?

Good question, though it can be (sort of) done with multiple boxes.

Software meters always suck.

I beg to differ, at least with respect to RME's Digicheck.

Dorrough and Mytek both sell wonderful hardware meters, but I don't think most people these days are prepared to pay what good

meters cost.

IME the cost of a new graphics card and an additional monitor is quite a bit less (and something I'm seriously considering just so

I can have Digicheck up and visible all the time.)

If I had the RME software, the gfx card and the extra monitor, I'd keep the phase
meter up all the time as well. The RME stuff is *very* impressive.

DM

hank alrich

Jay Kadis wrote:

How about multiple FireWire boxes like the MOTU 828mkII or the new Traveler?
Those and a laptop (a fast, powerful, expensive one...) would get you there.
Not cheaply, but without too much mess.

Some folks also combine the MIO with something(s) from MOTU or RME, put
them all in a 2-3 space rack and go.

Now, if they only made U47's the size of ECM101's...

--
ha
hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

analogeezer writes:

I just think if Alesis/Tascam/Fostex/Mackie came out with a new
recorder that acted as in interface too it might extend the lifespan of
said products.

I don't think it's in the cards.

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh....

ha

hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

dallen writes:

get a mac laptop and check out metric halo IO 2882 or ULN2
firewire interface and better quality then almost anything else

But 24 channels worth gets both a little big and expensive, and the
metering isn't all that great.

24 analog channels is 3 rack spaces, and the metering in the MH Console
app is really quite good.

What the geezer really needs is a 24-channel Firewire interface and a
hardware meter bridge. Now why doesn't anybody make that? Software
meters always suck.

You used the MIO Console? I have no quibbles about the metering there,
and MIO also has ladder LED metering, too. RME also has some very nice
metering in software.

--
ha
dale

metric halo also has spectrafoo which is excellent software tools for
monitoring you audio,
both analogue and digital

dale

Geoff Wood

wrote in message
oups.com...
I do have a rackmount computer, but it's quite deep,. That plus you get
no metering with many of the audio interfaces on the market (the MOTU
stuff is an exception).

I'm thinking about how I can get an HD-24 for about what a MOTU 24 i/o
costs, and use it as a standalone so I wouldn't have to drag out a
computer.

I just think if Alesis/Tascam/Fostex/Mackie came out with a new
recorder that acted as in interface too it might extend the lifespan of
said products.

I got a 24i (used), which is great if you're not planning of flying **** out
of the computer when mixing.

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
I think the Yamaha AW2816 and its ilk could do that with the mLAN option
board. Of course, the option board alone is $500 which seems like quite a
rip-off to me when a Firewire port for a PC costs under $50.

Make that "under $11".

geoff

Neil Gould

Recently,
posted:

I use a DAW at home, but taking it out to do location recording is a
PITA. At the same time I really wish the DAW had more analog
inputs...I only have 8 to 10 available at once. I plan to get a MOTU
24 i/o at some point but again that is a mess of stuff to take out
live.

Notebooks can be used these days for live recording....but unless you
bring along your interface, and all the ADAT/TFIF adaptor things, you
are again limited to about 8 - 12 tracks. All the portable interfaces
I see say "24 tracks" but they only have 8 analog inputs/outputs...if
you want more you need to hook up ADAT or TDIF boxes...suddenly you
have a notebook, it's audio interface, one or two other hardware
boxes and all the cabling and problems that go with a four piece
solution.

[...]

If that's what you really want to accomplish, there are other solutions
available. The front end to my computer DAW is a Yamaha AW4416. When going
on a remote, simply substitute the ADAT interface cards with whatever you
require to get up to 24 inputs and record on up to 16 channels in an
all-in-one box that is perfectly integrated. If you need more channels,
buy two AWs and link them via time code. The downside is that you're
limited to no better than 24-bit audio, but I don't see that as a big
problem in most remote environments. When back in the studio, replace the
ADAT cards to transfer the tracks to the computer. If you're industrious,
you could even get some DAW apps to use the AW as a control surface via
its MIDI I/O. Does this meet your needs?

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

hank alrich

Hev wrote:

I just contacted Metric Halo and while they have no release date for a PC
driver now, it does seem like it is on the horizon.

They've been saying that for two years. g Several Windows folks
wanting to go mobile with an MIO have bought Apple laptops.

--
ha
Hev

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
Hev wrote:

I just contacted Metric Halo and while they have no release date for a PC
driver now, it does seem like it is on the horizon.

They've been saying that for two years. g Several Windows folks
wanting to go mobile with an MIO have bought Apple laptops.

I would do that... but I've never owned a MAC. And when I had to use them at
audio school it was never a good thing. Still like Nuendo better than Pro
Tools. Still like PC's better than MAC's. I guess what I'm saying is "which
I could make the leap". I know it wouldn't be too hard with the new MAC OS.
I liked the last few versions when I had to use them. Still hard to drop
that kind of money on a MAC product.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he

Hev

Hev wrote:

I just contacted Metric Halo and while they have no release date for a
PC
driver now, it does seem like it is on the horizon.

They've been saying that for two years. g Several Windows folks
wanting to go mobile with an MIO have bought Apple laptops.

I would do that... but I've never owned a MAC. And when I had to use them
at audio school it was never a good thing. Still like Nuendo better than
Pro Tools. Still like PC's better than MAC's. I guess what I'm saying is
"which I could make the leap". I know it wouldn't be too hard with the new
MAC OS. I liked the last few versions when I had to use them. Still hard
to drop that kind of money on a MAC product.

"wish I could make the leap"

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:
Hev wrote:

I just contacted Metric Halo and while they have no release date for a PC
driver now, it does seem like it is on the horizon.

They've been saying that for two years. g Several Windows folks
wanting to go mobile with an MIO have bought Apple laptops.

Yep. I'm one. It's been longer than two years and I don't
think there is any real intention to do anything for Win.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Mike Rocha

*snip*
Notebooks can be used these days for live recording....but unless you
bring along your interface, and all the ADAT/TFIF adaptor things, you
are again limited to about 8 - 12 tracks. All the portable interfaces I
see say "24 tracks" but they only have 8 analog inputs/outputs...if you
want more you need to hook up ADAT or TDIF boxes...suddenly you have a
notebook, it's audio interface, one or two other hardware boxes and all
the cabling and problems that go with a four piece solution.

*snip*

Well here's my (semi-)mobile setup right now. Two MOTU 896s and my LCD
and tower. Even with that i'm up and running in about 3 minutes. I plan
on buying an external drive and a laptop so that my rig will basically
fit on my lap (hypothetically). Each of the 8 ins has a pre with
independant 48V. Nice clean unit... does just what you need and no more.
I've got tons of my buddies drooling over the ease of use of my rig.

Works like a charm man.

Roach

(btw, using WinXP with Cubase SX... and you can hook up 4 motu's
together at once (32 channels)
hank alrich

Bob Cain wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Hev wrote:

I just contacted Metric Halo and while they have no release date for a PC
driver now, it does seem like it is on the horizon.

They've been saying that for two years. g Several Windows folks
wanting to go mobile with an MIO have bought Apple laptops.

Yep. I'm one. It's been longer than two years and I don't
think there is any real intention to do anything for Win.

I think they're too samll, they haven't the resources to deal with
opening that potential market. It offers both huge sales potential and a
potential Pandora's box of support headaches. At the Emagic-to-Apple
cusp Windows was something like 35% of the Logic market and 70% of its
support costs. I don't think Metric Halo can reasonably go there. Could
be wrong, and perhaps they will get to the pont that there are at least
drivers for their units under some recent Windows version.

--
ha

Yeah there are a ton of things like that, but none of them have more
than 8 - 10 analog ins and outs.

Other than Pro Tools hardware and the MOTU 24 i/o, the market is geared
towards people that record two to eight tracks at once.

Analogeezer