Laurence Payne

Default Bi-wiring - Hogwash?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:17:58 +1100, "Bob Saccamano"
wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

You might. If the wire was expensive enough. But you'd be kidding
yourself.
Barry Mann

In , on 03/01/04
at 01:24 AM, (unitron) said:

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
... I
have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only
have one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by
bi-wiring alone?

If you run bi-wiring in your situation you will be bypassing the
crossover circuitry in your speaker cabinet, thus asking the
individual drivers (woofer and tweeter) to try to reproduce
frequencies for which they were not designed.

[ ... ]

No.

If a speaker provides bi-wire terminals, there are two independent
crossovers inside. (As if there are two independent speakers sharing
the same box, designed to operate in parallel as a single [typically 4
or 8 Ohm] unit.) There is a low pass for the woofer and a high pass
crossover for the midrange and/or tweeter. In this sort of speaker
neither the amplifier or speaker can know and or care if there is a
regular or bi-wire connection in use.

For a speaker that does not provide external bi-wire connections there
may be issues if you attempt to hack the crossover into two pieces.
Some crossovers provide an internal jumper that can be removed to split
the crossover into two sections.

---

About half of the "magic" attributed to improved wiring is caused by
the happy side effect of the mechanical trauma associated with removing
the old wires and inserting the new wires (scraping away much of the
oxides and other contamination that have been slowly degrading the
sound). Generally, the external "link" connecting the two crossover
sections for users not supplying the two sets of wires is poorly
designed and improperly installed. Eliminating that link is an
improvement.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Only if the wire you are using is very thin. If you use a thick enough
wire, there is no benefit.
--------------
Alex

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:03:42 GMT, "Matthew Leonhardt"
wrote:

An amplifier is capable of delivering higher wattage into lower impedances,
hence more loudness.

Unfortunately, there *is* no lower impedance, so no more loudness.

Bob Saccamano

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm still just as confused, even more so,
since there really does'nt seem to be any consensus on the issue.

Audio is one of those areas where there are so many mistruths, myths and
emotions floating around, that all you can trust, and probably should, is
your own ears. If *you* think it sounds better, then it does.

Bob Saccamano wrote:
"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm still just as confused, even more so,
since there really does'nt seem to be any consensus on the issue.

To those who are technically informed, there is consensus.

You decide.

Karl Uppiano

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm still just as confused, even more so,
since there really does'nt seem to be any consensus on the issue.

Audio is one of those areas where there are so many mistruths, myths and
emotions floating around, that all you can trust, and probably should, is
your own ears. If *you* think it sounds better, then it does.

Here's an article that might help: http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:02:46 +1100, "Bob Saccamano"
wrote:

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Thanks for everyones replies. I'm still just as confused, even more so,
since there really does'nt seem to be any consensus on the issue.

Audio is one of those areas where there are so many mistruths, myths and
emotions floating around, that all you can trust, and probably should, is
your own ears. If *you* think it sounds better, then it does.

Only if you don't *know* what's connected at the time. Confusing,
ain't it? :-)

Colin B.

Bob Saccamano wrote:

Audio is one of those areas where there are so many mistruths, myths and
emotions floating around, that all you can trust, and probably should, is
your own ears. If *you* think it sounds better, then it does.

It depends on how you define "sounds better." If you mean that it
makes you happier, then go for it. If you mean that the sound you hear
is materially changed, then it's a very simple matter to measure and
quantify it. If it's not measurable, it ain't there.

Colin