timboritus

Default Mediocre SQ with perfect 12.1's, Inconsistent , rough, sound

I got 2 infinity perfect 12.1's in a .87 cu ft enclosure in the back of
my jeep. Powering them it is a JL 500/1 with an Alpine 9813 HU. I built
the box myself and it is very high quality. I took the time to make sure
everything was strong and sealed. I had a few leaking problems at the
speaker basket and the ring terminals at the box but put gaskets around
the sub and the terminals and I am sure the box is sealed now. It sounds
way better than before but the SQ is still not nearly as good as I have
heard this sub sound. It sounds rough and sharp, and inconsistent. It
doesn't have that smooth rolling bass sound that is is what a great SQ
sub is considered to have. When I fixed the leak I didn't put the
polyfill back in and I thought it sounded good but it was just better
than before so I left it. After a week I realized it was better, but
still not great. Not close to worth the $250 per sub I spent on them
from the authorized dealer. I have tried tweaking every setting on my
amp and hu with no success. The sub is so inconsistent. Some songs I
listen to sound really good (nothing great) and other times It sounds
horrible. It is decent at low volume but as soon as you turn it up, it
gets nasty. It plays everything correctly, the sound quality just sucks.
I know the box is a little small, but the owner of the store I bought
them from said it is ok if I go plus or minus 20% of the sugested 1.0
cuft box volume. Could not having the polyfill in it make that much of a
difference? Does anyone have any other sugestions? I am out of ideas. I
also am running a 50w x 4 amp making it a total of 700 watts rms. Could
I need a cap? Would not having one hurt my sq? I know this sub can sound
better than this. Help!!
--
timboritus
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149811

Sanitarium

If its a jeep CJ/wrangler, its going to be tough. The acoustics in
those vehicles are tough toi overcome. I have yet to hear a good SQ
system in one of those.

IMHO +-20% in enclosure volume is substantial and MY ears would be able
to hear a difference. IMHO the polyfil can make a big difference.

Also note that many recordings will sound better than others, and have
more sub-bass material.

Garrett

timboritus wrote:

[...]

timboritus

I'll try putting the polyfill back. Thanks
--
timboritus
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149811

timboritus

Well, the polyfill is back in but I'm not really sure if there is a
difference. I think it sounds a little more muffled and smooth but it
could just be in my head. I am still get the inconsistency in sound with
different songs. For one chamber of the box I used the tightly packed
polyfill that was in another box I bought from a shop and seems thicker.
The other chamber has polyfill I got from walmart that is really fluffy
but the best stuff I could find, I packed alot in there to make it
thicker. Would it be a problem if there is 2 different kinds of
polyfill? Or if the polyfill is touching the sub?
--
timboritus
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=149811

Ge0

Try reading through these links

http://www.win.net/audtatious/audio/fiber.html

http://www.integracaraudio.com/carau...ces/fiberfill/

--
Ge0
TeamAMP #4 - tech whiz type of guy
Low cost car stereo equipment repair/ modification
Contact me for advice or a quote.
Always interested in buying dead equipment too.
Looking for answers on car stereo topics?
www.mobileaudio.com
www.teamrocs.com
http://go.to/bcae/
Geo uses:
Main Stage = a/d/s/ 336is.2
Rear fill = a/d/s/ 335is.2
Subs = Audiomobile Mass 2012 S24
Head unit = Denon DCT-1000R
Processor 1 = Orion DEQ30
Processor 2 = Tubedriver LDX-23 3-way x-over
Processor 3 = Ge0 brewed digital time delay
Sub Amp = a/d/s/ P4100.2
Main & rear fill amp = a/d/s/ P840.2
Interconnects = Streetwires ZN2.0, custom balanced and optical cabling
Power distribution = Streetwires
Ge0 rides Ventanna and GT double boinger MTB's
Bikes built from deals at WWW.MTBREVIEW.COM
****
"timboritus" wrote in

message
s.com...
[...]

Sonoman

Well, different cd's have different recording settings & quality, even songs
within the same cd have different bass sounds. Some cd's are older than
others and the quality varies with the technology and the budget available
at the time of the recording. Is the bass sound unstable within the same
song? May be you are not used to a higher quality system. Oftentimes a good
system brings out the flaws in a professional recording.

ps: now that I read your post again,the polyfill is not supposed to be
"packed", it should stay fluffy inside the box (anybody, please correct me
if I am wrong).