Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_] Tobiah[_6_] is offline

Default 4-track cassette deck recordings

I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

One trick I learned was to boost the treble on the way in,
and cut it on the way out. It was an effective noise reduction
technique as the net signal would be mostly unchanged, but the
audible tape hiss would be reduced in the high-cut.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/04/2021 12:08 pm, Tobiah wrote:
I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X.Â* I
studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

One trick I learned was to boost the treble on the way in,
and cut it on the way out.Â* It was an effective noise reduction
technique as the net signal would be mostly unchanged, but the
audible tape hiss would be reduced in the high-cut.

A bit like a Dolbying the DBX then....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X. I
studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of embarrassed
to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and numerous
plosives, but here goes.
http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3

Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender Rhodes
and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got home.
A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing I
have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.

(ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:

Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
numerous plosives, but here goes.
http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3

Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
home.
A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only
thing I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too
many moves.

(ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

On 17/04/2021 9:11 am, polymod wrote:

Well, I don't know if I'd call this interesting, and I'm sort of
embarrassed to post this due to the obvious mistakes, bad quality, and
numerous plosives, but here goes.
http://sonicmusic.net/I'm_Mad.mp3

Recorded back in the late 70s on a Tascam Portastudio 244 using a Roland
TR606 drum machine, G&L F100 series II guitar, Minimoog bass, Fender
Rhodes and a Prophet~5 (used as an attempt to fortify a weak drum track).
I had my wallet stolen at work and wrote/recorded this song when I got
home.
A very far cry from my progressive rock roots, but this was the only thing
I have left of the portastudio recordings. Too many years, too many moves.

(ducking from thrown debris) Poly

Nothing to apologise/duck for . A nice little 'rip it up' track.

Whew.....thanks man!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joseph[_10_] Joseph[_10_] is offline

On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 8:30:03 AM UTC-7, polymod wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Very cool. Thanks for sharing it!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5:11:31 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
[...]

Very clean and open sound! Not slammed to the walls as it seems required nowadays

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
[...]

Considering it was recorded on a cassette, then mixed to a cassette, and sat
in a drawer for over 40 years, it's a wonder there's any fidelity at all ;-)
Thank you.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
[...]

_______

Not really a wonder.

If more recent releases were mastered with the same care that
you stored your cassettes, they'd sound just as good!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
[...]

Fostex X-26
https://youtu.be/3nqGhaw1npU

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
I saved up for an eternity when I was a kid and bought a Yamaha MT1X.Â* I
studied
its operation and poured over the block diagram until I understood exactly
what it could do.

I made few recordings with it that were of any note, and none survive.

Does anyone have any examples of interesting recordings that were
made with a similar deck?

One trick I learned was to boost the treble on the way in,
and cut it on the way out.Â* It was an effective noise reduction
technique as the net signal would be mostly unchanged, but the
audible tape hiss would be reduced in the high-cut.

Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" involved a 1982 vintage 4 track. Legend
has it that some of The Pixies records started out on 4 track.

I still have a Tascam 488 MkII bought in 1997. Probably needs a belt by
now. I have all the tapes sealed in plastic bags in boxes. Several
boxes; I don't know how many tapes. The 488 MkII had DBX.

In 2002, I bought a Fostex VF16 and transferred a lot of it to digital.
Some of it sounded pretty good. I ran some tests on the 488. It was
better than it should have been.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 24/04/2021 12:27 pm, Les Cargill wrote:

I still have a Tascam 488 MkII bought in 1997. Probably needs a belt by
now. I have all the tapes sealed in plastic bags in boxes. Several
boxes; I don't know how many tapes. The 488 MkII had DBX.

I had a Tascam 388 once upon a time (8 tracks on 1/4" with DBX). That
got sold when I got a DA-88.

geoff