Jonathan

Default How to get headphone usage on an acoustic piano?

"furdchandler" wrote in message
om...
I play piano at a mid-size church, since most of the playing we do is
by ear, its very hard because the jazz Hammond organ can be very loud,
(you know how we pentecostal christians do it!!!). Many times I cant
hear my own playing on the grand piano ( which the audience can hear
okay through the piano mic connected to the sound system). Sometimes
I dont know if I'm playing the right notes or not. What setup can I
use to mike the piano into some headphones for me to wear during
service so I can hear my own self play?

At our church we have a little headphone amp that the keyboardist uses on
the rare occasion we use a keyboard. I believe it's got XLR in and out, so
you just run the line through that, and then use whatever headphones you're
comfortable with. The headphone amp's got it's own volume control that
doesn't affect the line to the soundboard.

Jonathan

James Boyk

Why not just get the organist--who is a pig, to use the musician's
technical term for who who "covers" another's part--to TURN DOWN HIS
VOLUME?

James Boyk

Roger W. Norman

It's a HAMMOND. My god, James, have you no shame? Tell a Hammond player to
turn down. Why have two perfectly good 147s sitting there if you can't use
them! g

Honestly I don't think I've ever heard a real Hammond player actually blend
with a band, except maybe Booker T. Done a few years of Papa John
DeFrancesco annual concerts and he just THUNDERS through his set. As far as
I can tell, everybody has to blend with the organ, not the other way around,
and that even means at smaller venues. Something to do with the way a 50
watt Leslie amp sounds full out, and I don't know of any Power Soaks for a
Leslie.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"James Boyk" wrote in message
Why not just get the organist--who is a pig, to use the musician's
technical term for who who "covers" another's part--to TURN DOWN HIS
VOLUME?

James Boyk

Wayne

clip
Normally whoever operates the
sound system should be able to help you, but knowing that one approach
to sound reinforcement in a house of worship is to find a volunteer,
who typically doesn't know much but "is a musician."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Would you prefer a person who knows a lot but is tone deaf? Most churches are
negative in both areas I'm afraid.

Wayne

furdchandler

Well folks looks like I solved the problem, I went to Guitar Center
today and picked up a Eurorack UB502 5-input, 2 bus mixer for $30, so
I'll plug my mic on one input and headphones in the headphone jack and
the problem is solved, thanks to all for the input, Oh by the way for
those those that have never been in a pentecostal church (a black one
at that), the Hammond is the featured organ, there is no way to tell
them to turn it down without the congregation getting upset, the dude
I play with has 2 nice leslie cabinets, both like right behind me, it
sound great but I didnt know if I did or not, I have heard other
church bands while I was in the audience and a piano behind a hammond
is workable when the organist places the leslies on away from the band
like in the wall behind the choir stand or something, I have been told
by pro musicians that the organist should always make sure that he is
softer than the pianist, but pentecostal organists ignore this, I also
heard that the other instruments should tune to the piano, which they
ignore as well, but anyway thanks to all for the input

(furdchandler) wrote in message . com...
I play piano at a mid-size church, since most of the playing we do is
by ear, its very hard because the jazz Hammond organ can be very loud,
(you know how we pentecostal christians do it!!!). Many times I cant
hear my own playing on the grand piano ( which the audience can hear
okay through the piano mic connected to the sound system). Sometimes
I dont know if I'm playing the right notes or not. What setup can I
use to mike the piano into some headphones for me to wear during
service so I can hear my own self play?

xy

can you move the organ's sound speakers away from you? the organ can
be loud, but it doesn't have to be in *your* particular ear. put the
speaker right near the organist. that way he/she can feel "loud" and
it won't blow you out personally.

or move the piano away from the organ. or angle the organ speaker so
it doesn't point at you. maybe point the speaker straight up "towards
the Lord" so he can hear the organ in fully glory radiating up at him
as he shines down His Holiness onto the congregation.

the also make these clear plexiglass barriers. they are usually setup
around a drumkit so the drummer doesn't blow out everyone else. but
maybe you can set up a little clear sonic wall for yourself. if
you're sitting down, this could help, because the panels are about 4
feet high and could block some of the sound coming your way. these
things are used regularly in churches, and i haven't heard of any
tendency of the Lord to send a lightening bolt of anger to the
churches that use them, so i'm pretty sure they are "sanctified".

but the simplest thing to try is to point the organ speaker away from
you.

Laurence Payne

I play piano at a mid-size church, since most of the playing we do is
by ear, its very hard because the jazz Hammond organ can be very loud,
(you know how we pentecostal christians do it!!!). Many times I cant
hear my own playing on the grand piano ( which the audience can hear
okay through the piano mic connected to the sound system). Sometimes
I dont know if I'm playing the right notes or not. What setup can I
use to mike the piano into some headphones for me to wear during
service so I can hear my own self play?

Headphones are a nuisance. If the audience can hear you, all you need
is a monitor speaker feeding you what the audience are hearing.

If you can't hear yourself, play softer. Eventually, someone will
notice, and do something about it. Or you'll realise that no-one
cares a damn if you play or not, try a different religion :-)
Kevin Tracy

Now this is a refreshing change instead of the drums or guitar the organ's too
load? 'magine that!

Kevin (you can't make a B3/leslie too loud for R&R, can't be done!) Tracy

Laurence Payne wrote:

I play piano at a mid-size church, since most of the playing we do is
by ear, its very hard because the jazz Hammond organ can be very loud,
(you know how we pentecostal christians do it!!!). Many times I cant
hear my own playing on the grand piano ( which the audience can hear
okay through the piano mic connected to the sound system). Sometimes
I dont know if I'm playing the right notes or not. What setup can I
use to mike the piano into some headphones for me to wear during
service so I can hear my own self play?

Headphones are a nuisance. If the audience can hear you, all you need
is a monitor speaker feeding you what the audience are hearing.

If you can't hear yourself, play softer. Eventually, someone will
notice, and do something about it. Or you'll realise that no-one
cares a damn if you play or not, try a different religion :-)

furdchandler

Actually I like the Organ loud, it gives it a "churchy" feeling, I
just want to hear myself, I dont care if the audience can hear me or
not, if they want to hear me they'll tell the organist to be quieter,
(which they have not done so far) so I figure they like the current
setup, I just need to hear me so I can continue to learn