Default "good" FM radio receiver?

Hello all,

I'm a novice about audio equipment, and I'd like to learn
how to tell a "good" FM radio receiver. What I'm looking for
is not a high-quality raido but a little bit better one than
the one I have now (a cheep $60-ish one combined with CD and
cassette players).

When I moved into my current apartment, my radio gave me a
reasonable reception for my favorite FM radio station. Of course,
there was small hiss noise, but it was OK. Now, the same station
has a bit of sand-storm-like noise; the noise sometimes becomes
intolerable; the reception sometimes drop down to mono. When
I touch the antenna of the receiver in such a situation, the
reception improves a lot.

From these facts, I guess that a little bit better receiver will

solve the problem. The problem is that I have absolutely no clue
on how to tell which model is good. Where should I look? I don't
mind spending $100-$200 for an FM radio receiver only (without CD
player or anything). I don't need high-quality sound; I just want
to get rid of the too-conspicuous noise.

Alternatively, if an additional antenna helps, that may help, too.
But, my receiver doesn't have a connector for an antenna cable. . . .

Thank you,
Ryo

Try improving the current antenna first. If it's just a wire, see
about adding more length to it with a piece of additional wire and a
wire nut. Then move the longer wire around to get the best reception.

Thank you for the advice! Well, the antenna of my radio is
a telescopic metal rod, of the type which is extremely common
for portable radio receiver. Does that mean I would tie a
conducting wire around the rod and extend it around?

Ryo

JANA

Tying a wire to the antenna may or may not help. The antenna is normally
cut-tuned for the FM band. Using a better type of antenna located in a
better position would be the ideal way. Most of the consumer radios in the
moderate to low price range don't offer an external antenna connection. If
you get in to the higher end receivers, you can have an external antenna
connection.

As for choosing a discent FM radio, you would have to look at their spec
sheets. Then again, the low priced radios usually do not come with a spec
sheet. Low end users are not normally concerned about the specs of their
equipment, or even understand what these specs mean.

What you should do in your case, is see if you can make a deal where you are
buying your radio, to see if you can take some radios home for a day or two
to try them. Then you would buy the one you like.

The best solution is put out some discent money and buy a very good radio.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
Try improving the current antenna first. If it's just a wire, see
about adding more length to it with a piece of additional wire and a
wire nut. Then move the longer wire around to get the best reception.

Thank you for the advice! Well, the antenna of my radio is
a telescopic metal rod, of the type which is extremely common
for portable radio receiver. Does that mean I would tie a
conducting wire around the rod and extend it around?

Ryo

AZ Nomad

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:33:09 -0400, JANA wrote:

Tying a wire to the antenna may or may not help. The antenna is normally
cut-tuned for the FM band. Using a better type of antenna located in a
better position would be the ideal way. Most of the consumer radios in the
moderate to low price range don't offer an external antenna connection. If
you get in to the higher end receivers, you can have an external antenna
connection.

Really? What are you talking about? Portable/table radio's? If I was looking
for a "good radio receiver", I'd go with a separate. A junk kenwood can be
had for under $30. Is that cheap enough? It'll have antenna inputs, of
course.

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:33:09 -0400, "JANA" wrote:

The best solution is put out some discent money and buy a very good radio.

Good enough will probably be good enough. No need to pay silly
money.