Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Patch cable recommendation

I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer. I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection. The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it. Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/05/2021 5:30 am, Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer.Â* I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection.Â* The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it.Â* Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

Are they unplugged often, or move ?

Try some Caig DeOxit or Gold on the plugs AND SOCKETS !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 5/14/2021 7:23 PM, geoff wrote:
On 15/05/2021 5:30 am, Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer.Â* I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection.Â* The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it.Â* Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

Â*Are they unplugged often, or move ?

Try some Caig DeOxit or Gold on the plugs AND SOCKETS !

geoff

Maybe that is worth a go. I assumed the problem
was due to shorts in the molded plugs, as they have
been doing that to me since I picked up an electric
guitar in the early 80's.

I never considered that the contacts might need
service. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 5/14/2021 7:23 PM, geoff wrote:
Caig DeOxit or Gold

I'm overwhelmed by the number of products.
Would someone suggest a $10.00 product
that would let me clean my 1/4" cables
and 1402-VLZ Pro jacks?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer. I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection. The plugs are
molded plastic.

This is how cheap cables are. And with the molded ends, you can't really
tell what is going on with them and you can't fix them when they break.

Call Markertek and order some patch cables. Have them made with Switchcraft
or Neutrik connectors. You will be able to open the connectors and verify
they are good in the future, and fix them if they are bad. Just tell the
rep how long you want them and what connectors you want and they'll tell you
how much they will cost to make.

I'd also get a DMM with a continuity test beep and use it to test your
snake. Wiggle all the cables and make sure you get a good solid beep
on each contact. When you get one that is bad, cut off the connectors
on both ends so that you never inadvertently use that line.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16 May 2021 12:59:04 -0000, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

In article , Tobiah wrote:
[...]

--scott

Alternatively buy a bucketload of decent connectors and a big reel of
cable. That was you can always have what you need.
When cheaper connectors go bad, cleaning is usually only a temporary
fix. The problem is that the plating starts to break down
microscopically and you get hairlines of corrosion erupting onto the
surface and causing intermittent connection. Cheap connectors are a
false economy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:30:48 AM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer. I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection. The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it. Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

I found it was usually due to oxidation on the connectors themselves. I used silver polish with a terry cloth towel. Just go outside or the fumes will overwhelm you.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Notable.com Notable.com is offline

Noxon with paper towels works in a pinch- if you clean ALL of it off after cleaning. Keep rubbing till no darkness is left when you rub the connectors. I spin them in my fingers on the paper towel, constantly moving to fresh areas on the Towel. I only use this cleaner on external male connectors. ( tt and1/4inch) It would be too hard to go inside the female parts and get this out.

Also, I advocate soldering your own cables. Belkin, Mogami and Canare cable, and Neutrik connectors... they last for years. Most molded cables are not worth what you pay for them and miserable to repair.
best,
Daniel

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:51:10 PM UTC-4, cedricl wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:30:48 AM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer. I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection. The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it. Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

I found it was usually due to oxidation on the connectors themselves. I used silver polish with a terry cloth towel. Just go outside or the fumes will overwhelm you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Notable.com wrote:

Also, I advocate soldering your own cables. Belkin, Mogami and Canare cabl=
e, and Neutrik connectors... they last for years. Most molded cables are no=
t worth what you pay for them and miserable to repair.

I used to say this, but these days Markertek will make up custom cables with
whatever cable and connectors you want, for only marginally more than it would
cost you to do it in-house. I don't even bother making up cables unless they
are weird one-offs, I just get Canare/Switchcraft stuff made to length.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer.Â* I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection.Â* The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it.Â* Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

A brand I've had luck with is Livewire Advantage. They use
Neutrik ends. I bought a knot of TS cables of that make
in 2012 and haven't had to do anything to any of them.

I'd call my case "gentle use"; obviously rough use will
be different.

They're not the highest quality cable possible. For your use case -
presumably line level - I doubt that matters much at all.

Livewire Advantage seems always priced just above the cost of doing
it yourself. It's just easy to order a bag of new ones should they
fail.

--
Les Cargill