Bob Flint

Default Variac

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:22:25 -0400, "Rich Sherman" wrote:

I just acquired a NOS Variac from a shop that is liquidating it's stock.

Now that I have this useful piece of equipment my next
question is on how to use this to reform caps and bring-up old tube amps
slowly.

Can anyone give me a Variac-for-dummies short do's and dont's list?

Does one use the Variac differently on Tube rectified and Diode rectified
equipment?

I would appreciate some hints.

Thanks,

Rich Sherman

hints? OK...

Remember, when the voltage to a tube amp is low, the tubes won't have filament
voltage to operate...

If you want to form caps with it, remove all the tubes from the amp first. (it
must have SS rectifier - you could temporarily put some in place of the tube
rect just to form the caps. Watch the DC voltage - it could go too high.)

In time you will learn how much voltage an amp needs to run, IE enough filament
juice, and you can play from there.

Mark on the outside dial where 110VAC is, so you can run old equipment designed
for that. Then you can measure how much extra volts you get at 120VAC. If you
think its too high, you can then do something about it.