JJSmithin

Default Near Field monitors needed?

What makes a near field monitor different or better then a good quality 2 or
3 way home stereo speaker? Would a good quality passive home stereo speaker
provide the same quality of sound as a passive studio monitor that is labled
a near field monitor? This for a home studio.

Are Event 2020 monitors considered good? These are not the version 2 I see
online now but an older model.

thanks

Scott Dorsey

JJSmithin wrote:
What makes a near field monitor different or better then a good quality 2 or
3 way home stereo speaker? Would a good quality passive home stereo speaker
provide the same quality of sound as a passive studio monitor that is labled
a near field monitor? This for a home studio.

Yes, but you will find that a _good quality_ passive home stereo speaker is
more expensive than you expect.

Also, studio monitors tend to need to take considerable abuse and they tend
to have a lot of protection hardware in them.

Are Event 2020 monitors considered good? These are not the version 2 I see
online now but an older model.

Personally I can't stand them, but your mileage may vary. Monitors are all
phenomenally inaccurate, especially at this price range, and so it's going to
be a matter of finding monitors with the inaccuracy that you can live with.

ScotFraser

What makes a near field monitor different or better then a good quality 2 or

3 way home stereo speaker?

Marketing.

Would a good quality passive home stereo speaker
provide the same quality of sound as a passive studio monitor that is labled
a near field monitor?

A good speaker is a good speaker. Calling it a studio monitor doesn't make it
sound any better. There is nothing inherent in any "studio monitor" that
distinguishes it from a non-studio monitor other than the targeted end user.

Are Event 2020 monitors considered good?

I suppose somebody might consider these good speakers. I don't like them. The
low end is preposterously hyped, not much sense of three dimensionality,
lacking midrange definition. Then again, I've had to use them occasionally & I
was able to make reasonable judgements with them, knowing I would be mixing &
mastering somewhere else.

Scott Fraser

JJSmithin

Thats a good point. After looking at my workspace, my PC is in a corner and
I dont have that much room for midsize or book shelf size monitors on either
side of it or to place reasonably so I can work and listen without have to
move my listening position. . So I started looking at mini size. M-Audio has
the DX4 (8.5h x 5.75W x 6.25d) which is biamped and small for $150. Also
there is the larger BX5 for $300 which is larger then DX4 but still smaller
then all other bookshelves in that price range. Its 9.85h x 6.5w x 8d. That
is just about the limit is size so fit reasonably on either side of by PC
Display so that I can work and listen without turning my head.

any experience with those monitors?

thx