labpartner

Default soundcraft series 2 vs soundcraft 1600 wich to use?

I'm wondering wich one is the supperior console. or are they about the
same? should i use both? one to track one to mix? sell one and buy
some nice preamps? sell both buy a nicer console? help me! thanks for
te input. RYan
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

i own both consoles, i have a ms-16 and a soundcraft 760 2"24. i like
them both for diffrent reasons, it might just make sense for me to use
them both. is that a bad idea?

Having two consoles and asking which one you should use is rather
unusual. I'd think you've have a preference.

Using both may not be a bad idea if you have the space, but a lot of
that depends on what you do and how you work. You may prefer the sound
of the mic preamps in one and the sound of the mix circuitry in the
other. Or maybe you like the EQ in both, but prefer one for some
applications and the other for other applications.

Unless you have the space (and time to do the wiring) to set up both
consoles and have them arranged so that you can use whatever parts of
each one you perfer for any particular function, you need to make a
choice, and that should be your choice and not anyone else's. All we
can do is offer you some things to consider.

For example, if you need a lot of separate headphone monitor mixes,
the one with the greater number of auxiliar sends has an advantage for
tracking. If you need a lot of auxiliary sends for effects during
mixing, the one with the greater number of auxilay sends may be better
for that application. If you don't mix while recording (for instance,
record the 16 mics that you have on the drums to four tracks), you
don't need to worry about the sound of the mix bus while tracking, so
consider the one whose mic preamps you prefer most of the time. But if
you EQ when you track, you'll need to consider which one has the most
usable EQ. If you decide, for instance, that you love the sound of the
mic preamps in the Series 2, consider standing it up in a corner,
wiring the mic inputs and direct or insert outputs to a patchbay, and
using the 1600 for tracking while mixing.

Stuff like that.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
labpartner

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1099145915k@trad...
In article
writes:

[...]

i do have room, I like the 1600 alot, and the series 2 is a little
less user friendly, so putting the series 2 in the room for the
preamps is what i think ill do. i will have to get some more patch
bays and try to figure a way to set it up in the system with out it
being to confusing. thanks for the advise, is a hard one when you are
dealing with vintage stuff. I guess im luck to have two very nice mint
vintage consoles, i will use them both to make great music. thanks R
Predrag Trpkov

"labpartner" wrote in message
om...
I'm wondering wich one is the supperior console. or are they about the
same? should i use both? one to track one to mix? sell one and buy
some nice preamps? sell both buy a nicer console? help me! thanks for
te input. RYan

Series 2 is much more colored and compresses like hell, even if you only use
the preamps and send signals to a recorder via insert sends. I happen to
like that sound very much, but wouldn't want to track exclusively through
the console preamps.

I love mixing through it, though.

Predrag