Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

Old August 10th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

Default Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

On 10/08/2018 5:35 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 10/08/2018 08:12, Trevor wrote:
>> On 10/08/2018 2:39 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

>>> If everyone wanted the highest quality record player, there would be
>>> no cheap record players, and cheap people wouldn't play records.
>>> That's not good.

>> Why not? Less people ruining records on cheap turntables for no
>> logical reason would be a good thing IMO.

> Because many people buying records to play on cheap turntables is what
> pays for the recording and manufacture. The way the cheapskates then
> often go on to buy the same recordings on CD or as an MP3 download, due
> to their disappointment with the quality of vinyl playback, is also a
> help towards the set up costs.
>
> If only audiophiles bought vinyl, the market would be so small you'd be
> paying five or six times the current price for an LP, assuming it was
> actually financially worth making them in the first place.

Since I haven't bought any vinyl for 30 years, I'm hardly worried! :-)
The idea of someone paying 3 or 4 times the price of a CD to play it on
a crappy turntable does amuse me though. :-)

Old August 10th 18, 12:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson > wrote:

>If only audiophiles bought vinyl, the market would be so small you'd be
>paying five or six times the current price for an LP, assuming it was
>actually financially worth making them in the first place.

Which is what the market was like in the 1990s. It was a very limited
audiophile market, and the only records being pressed were special audiophile
pressings at five or six (or ten) times the current market rate. The
current craze has dropped prices a lot (although there are a lot of pretty
crappy-sounding discs being issued these days which would never have sold in
the 1990s too).

Old August 11th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 7:49:05 PM UTC-4, Brassplyer wrote:
> Ever heard an exotic turntable in action? Do you have one? Do you feel the difference between it and say a correctly set up Technics SL1200MK2 is night and day?

Audio technica makes a line of what I would consider high end cartridges. I'd like to see some sales figures. When I questioned one of their folks about it at NAB, he said, "You have no idea!!!" in a way that made me think they too were surprised by the market. At the top of their line is a $5K USD cartridge. Holy crap!!!

https://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-b...s..pl?lang=eng
Old August 12th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ralph Barone > wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the history lesson Scott. Did anyone ever plot the equivalent of
>> the Fletcher-Munson curves for cocaine?

> Not that I can find, and I did a bunch of medline searches a decade ago.
> If anyone knows of any research on how marijuana or cocaine changes hearing
> perception (not research on long-term changes in hearing.. there are plenty
> of those) I'd love to see some.
> --scott

I'd think you could use Don Felder's first solo record as a data source.

--
Les Cargill