Tony Fernandes

Default Sony CDX C-90 Question

I've never really noticed this before..not sure if it's always been this way
or something new. Lately I've noticed that the bass level tends to be more
exaggerated at lower volume levels. But when I turn up the volume, past
3/4, the sound is more linear.

I've experienced this with head units using a LOUDNESS feature, but this is
not a feature of this particular unit.

Anyone?

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

Tony Fernandes

Wow...that's odd. Isn't low-level linearity a trademark of any high-end HU?
I believe I am correct when I say the C-90 is right up there with a few
other select best-of-the-best HUs. Right?

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

The bass turning itself down at high volumes is not an issue with low level
linearity, it a design function. It works exactly like a loudness function
that turns down at high volume. It's to keep the system from clipping at
that frequency. Only fairly high end deck will do this on the loudness and
the C90 is the only one that I know of that does it on the bass and treble.
Basically it's supposed to be like that and it's a good thing to have on
there.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

Well I have to say I'm pretty surprised at that. I can't stand having to
turn down the bass at lower volumes only to turn it back up again at higher
volumes. I had always been under the assumption that any unit w/o a
loudness function, or ones with one that was turned off, that the frequency
response would remain more or less linear throughout the volume range. The
better the HU the more flat the curve would be.

I've had top models from Eclipse, Alpine & Nakamichi and none of them did
this. I honestly didn't notice this on my Sony for quite some time...and I
ALWAYS notice stuff like that. Just freakin' weird I tell you!

Sorry...I'm venting, not arguing.

Thanks,

Tony

--

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

I understand. The C90 does a TON of stuff a lot of other high end units
doesn't, i.e. bypassing the tone controls altogether and the ability to
change the type of filter the D/A converter uses. I still wish I hadn't
sold mine.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Bryan

I wish I never sold mine either. I liked almost everything about the unit
except for the damn display... I hope my new Denon DCT Z1 keeps me happy
when I install it

Bryan

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Fernandes

That's so funny guys, b/c this is the second C90 I've owned. The first one
I returned becuase I didn't like the display and I wasn't keen on having all
those menus to go through just to change the contrast for example.

Then I purchased a Nak CD-700 for a while. Best sounding HU I've ever
owned. But it was TOO simple!! LOL Now I'm back with the C90.

Tony