Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Hermann

Default mixing live jazz recording (Earlier Thread Recording Jazz Drum Kit)

hello everybody,
a few weeks ago i asked here for some advice about recording a live jazz
trio with singer.
Thanks again to Thomas, Nate and Scott for their helpful advice.

things got a bit complicated at the gig, musicians arrived with their
instruments 15 minutes before the start of the show and i had to record
a real piano instead of the digital piano which i was expecting.
So there was not much time for a soundcheck or trying things out.

I'm now trying to get a usable mix out of the tracks i have.
Problematic tracks in my opinion are the two Piano tracks:
I'm missing the lower strings, they are hard to hear.
The kick drum is nearly not hearable, only when it was hit hard it's
hearable over the OH mikes.
The double-bass didnt have a pickup, but a big-condenser mike below the
bridge, which was ok. The additional U87 i used perhaps 1 ft away is not
really usable. Since the stage was very small, there is more drums and
piano than Bass on the U87.

I did a rough mix of one song and it would be great to get some feedback.
I'm not sure if I already overcompressed the individual tracks?
I had some problems dealing with the dynamics, i used some compression
and some manual gain-riding.
The vocal could perhaps also need some more presence?
Here is the link. Thanks for any feedback.

Chris

http://www.wabisabimusic.de/livemix