Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

Default Recommendations for Computer Speakers?

All -

Sorry for the extensive crossposting, but I wasn't sure which group was
best targeted by this request for information and opinions.

Thanks to the generosity of my brother, I have $200 to spend at Amazon
and I have determined that my primary need is a new set of speakers for
my Macintosh. I have loaded my entire CD library into iTunes and would
like to begin using it as the playback-system-of-choice so I can begin
selling off these little silver coasters. Everything's been encoded as
AAC (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz), so the quality should be pretty decent.

I have been running an original Cambridge SoundWorks system until just
recently, but unfortunately it began cutting out on me as it warmed up.
I'm certain that I could have it repaired, but I wanted to see if there
might be a better system available to replace it. (In the meantime, I
have been limited to an original set of Bose Roommates. They make some
noise, but it isn't very pleasing!)

The only demands I'll place on my new system are music reproduction (of
all genres). I am not a game player, nor do I expect to use the system
for surround-sound DVD playback. I just want a set of speakers that I
can plug in, sit back, and enjoy.

Please let me know what you would recommend and, more importantly, what
you'd avoid. If I need to spend a bit more than $200, that's OK.

And for the record, this is a 466 MHz G4 Macintosh running OSX 10.4.11
and iTunes 7.5 (although I can't imagine why any of that should matter
very much).

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all!

Mudge