Anything to say on Speakons

Old July 22nd 20, 05:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Mike Rivers wrote:

==================

> (a) are (at least so far unique to loudspeakers so you won't mistakenly
> plug a cable from a microphone into a loudspeaker and wonder why it's
> not working,

** XLR mic cables cannot be used with speakers - cos the two versions are physically incompatible.

The speaker version might be plugged into a mic and not work or do damage - but I have never seen an example of the latter.

..... Phil
Old July 22nd 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:

====================

> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P
> connectors either, all of which are popular for speakers.

To "daisy chain" speakers only requires each box to have two sockets wired in parallel. The type of connector is NOT relevant.

Mic leads can be directly used as extensions - but speaker leads cannot without an "joiner" box.

Bewa Cargill is totally clueless.

...... Phil

Old July 22nd 20, 01:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 7/21/2020 9:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors either,
> all of which are popular for speakers.
>
> But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

What variety of daisy are you talking about here? Of course you can
daily-chain common XLR cables with a male on one end and another. What
you can't do is connect something in parallel without some special
arrangements, either a Y adapter or a speaker that's built for
daisy-chaining to another speaker, with a parallel-connected
opposite-gender XLR added to the connector panel.

Of course you can stack banana plugs as long as they have a "stacking"
hole in them. But that isn't universal.

Old July 22nd 20, 06:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_]

Mike Rivers > wrote:

> On 7/21/2020 9:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote: > You can't daisy-chain XLRs,
> 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors either, > all of which are
> popular for speakers. >
> > But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

> Of course you can stack banana plugs as long as they have a "stacking"
> hole in them. But that isn't universal.

I use banana plugs for all my P.A. speakers. Every speaker has three
sets of sockets in parallel so that an incoming signal can be fed
onwards to at least two more units. The entire system is standardised
on 100v line, so everything is in parallel and impedance matching
becomes a non-concept (as long as the amplifier can handle the total
load).

The inclusion of a tapped transformer in each loudspeaker unit allows
balancing of sound levels and I have an auto-transformer that can be
used to reduce the level to a whole group of speakers simultaneously.
Ordinary switches on a plastic box with banana sockets at the back can
be used to switch groups of speakers in or out.

The whole system is extremely versatile and adaptable to almost any
small to medium-sized outdoor event. Some of these smaller events are
sketchily planned, so the ability to re-rig in response to some
unforseen circumstance while the event is in progress can be a
life-saver. The system has also coped reasonably adequately with the
sort of small and medium-sized indoor music events where it is mainly
needed for sound reinforcement.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Old July 23rd 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

geoff wrote:
> On 22/07/2020 1:43 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> geoffÂ* > wrote:
>>> Why should that be any more difficult for daisy-chaining than XLR
>>> female/male or jack ins/outs on a speaker, which are usually 'panel'
>>> anyway ?

>> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors
>> either,
>> all of which are popular for speakers.
>>
>> But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.
>> --scott
>>

> I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors mounted
> on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle for any
> connector.

It did.

For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two
1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

A time-honored way to set up especially a bass rig is to use a pair of 8
ohm boxes in parallel driven by a 4 ohm amp.

Not an issue with controlled configurations where you want things to
hook up only one way and can spend some engineering making it that way.

> Just don't hang too much cable-weight on those piggy-backed bananas !

I've never used those in anger.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 23rd 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> geoff > wrote:
>> Why should that be any more difficult for daisy-chaining than XLR
>> female/male or jack ins/outs on a speaker, which are usually 'panel'
>> anyway ?

> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors either,
> all of which are popular for speakers.

Seems like every MI grade box made with 1/4" panels had two jacks in
parallel.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 23rd 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Les Cargill wrote:

===============

> For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two
> 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
> Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

** Because most bass ( and many other) amps now have TWIN speakon outlets.

What an idiot remark you posted.

As usual.

...... Phil

Old July 23rd 20, 08:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 22/07/2020 12:26 pm, geoff wrote:
> On 22/07/2020 1:43 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> geoffÂ* > wrote:
>>> Why should that be any more difficult for daisy-chaining than XLR
>>> female/male or jack ins/outs on a speaker, which are usually 'panel'
>>> anyway ?

>> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors
>> either,
>> all of which are popular for speakers.
>>
>> But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

> I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors mounted
> on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle for any
> connector.
>
> Just don't hang too much cable-weight on those piggy-backed bananas !

Yes, much prefer Speakon in and out on every speaker. Banana plugs
barely adequate for heavy speaker cable when NOT piggy backed!

Old July 23rd 20, 08:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 23/07/2020 11:20 am, Les Cargill wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>>>
>>> You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors
>>> either,
>>> all of which are popular for speakers.
>>>
>>> But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

>> I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors mounted
>> on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle for any
>> connector.

> It did.
> For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two
> 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
> Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

You are kidding right? All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.
Most have for a couple of decades. Last century it wasn't so common I
guess. I did have to convert a very old speaker that had XLR's and phone
sockets only. But that was 80's vintage!

Old July 24th 20, 01:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Dieter Michel

Les,

> For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two > 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
> Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

I recently bought a bass instrument loudspeaker from
Barefaced Audio with two Speakons wired in parallel.

Best,

Dieter