Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how it wasrecorded or something else in the production pipeline?

Old July 28th 20, 06:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

Ty Ford:

By AM I meant not the AM Band but the format. I read such,
in print, over thirty years ago before the internet took off.
Old July 28th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Irwin:

Then what the hell did I read back in 1980-something?

MTS stereo was an improvement in broadcast TV sound, not just spatially, but in the
way it was carried on the broadcast channel. I could have sworn the documentation
I was reading mentioned AM modulation prior to the MTS transition.

And I'm not referring back to the pre-war days, when program audio was simulcast over a
local AM radio station either.
Old July 28th 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/07/2020 5:12 am, wrote:
> Ty Ford:
>
> By AM I meant not the AM Band but the format. I read such,
> in print, over thirty years ago before the internet took off.

Morning ?

Old July 29th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff:

"Morning"?

What does time of day have to do with anything?
Old July 29th 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>Peter Irwin:
>
>Then what the hell did I read back in 1980-something?

I don't know.

You can tell the pix carrier is AM and the sound carrier is FM by the way
they degrade as the signal strength drops. You'll have a good sound carrier
as the pixture gets worse and worse and then all of a sudden the sound drops
out of full FM quieting. The effect is sudden, unlike the effect on the
picture.

There were some folks who were arguing in favor of FM encoding of the video
signal too, but that was too much bandwidth for consumer grade detectors
in 1939. So instead we got vestigial sideband AM.

>MTS stereo was an improvement in broadcast TV sound, not just spatially, but in the
>way it was carried on the broadcast channel. I could have sworn the documentation
>I was reading mentioned AM modulation prior to the MTS transition.

Nobody actually used MTS in the US, sadly. Some stations broadcast it, but
hardly anyone was set up to receive it. It still didn't fix the central issue
which is that video people don't care about sound.

Old July 29th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>Nobody actually used MTS in the US, sadly.

_________
Then how was I getting stereo sound OTA broadcast from '84-85 -
after which my family started subscribing to cable?
Old July 29th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Don Pearce > wrote:
>> The worst thing with white-up was that the signal amplitude was
>> proportion to brightness, so it was impossible to find the black
>> level. Sync would start to roll on bright scenes and the brightness
>> would breathe in and out as the scene's peak brightness changed.

> For audio people, the first thing is that if the peak brightness was too
> high, the thing would overmodulate and the splatter would cause buzzing in
> the audio. This was most common with character generators set to make bright
> white titles... the buzzing continued as long as the titles were on the
> screen and of course the audio people were blamed.
>
> Video is evil.
> --scott

There's a comedy show "Tim & Eric: Awesome Show Great Job!", and
they used those old character generators ( some of the show was
intentionally built around a public access channel aesthetic ).

The sound wasn't done with the old equipment, but they'd still have the
noise.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 29th 20, 03:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>>Nobody actually used MTS in the US, sadly.

>_________
>Then how was I getting stereo sound OTA broadcast from '84-85 -
>after which my family started subscribing to cable?

MTS sets existed... but not many people bought them. And there were not
many broadcasts distributed in stereo.