Posted to rec.audio.tech
Maestro Mysterieux Maestro Mysterieux is offline

Default Connecting left and right amps to one speaker

Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?
Both amps have the same signal going to it. Can I just connect the
wires which lead from the amps together and then connect that to a
wire going to the speaker? Is there anything I must watch out for?

I have mics and instruments going into a mixer. Their signals go
equally to the right and left amps of a stereo power amp. I.e. the
"pan" controls are all set to the middle position.

The power amp is a NIKKO 220 (120W + 120W) and the speaker is a Yamaha
SM15IV (Program [whatever that means] 500W, MAX 1000W). The amp takes
bare wire at the speaker output and the speaker takes a phono plug.

I appreciate your advice.

Alan

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?

Yes. Unless you're very lucky, you're likely to let all of the Magic
Blue Smoke out of the amplifier's final transistors.

Both amps have the same signal going to it. Can I just connect the
wires which lead from the amps together and then connect that to a
wire going to the speaker? Is there anything I must watch out for?

Unless the signal amplitudes coming out of the two amp channels are
precisely identical, all of the time (and this is going to be very
difficult to ensure) you'd be wandering along the ragged edge of
disaster.

If you ever feed different signals to the two channels of the amp -
for example, if you happen to bump the "pan" control, or change the
bass or treble boost on one channel more than the other - then the two
amp channels will be "fighting" one another for control of the
speaker. Each channel is likely to look like something between a
low-impedance load (even a short circuit) to the other.

Again, if you're very lucky, the amp's output-protection circuitry
will react rapidly and successfully enough to keep you from blowing up
the amp. There may be nasty side effects (e.g. the amp may shut down,
or make distressing noises from the speaker when this happens).

If you're not very lucky, the output transistors will obligingly
sacrifice themselves ($$$) to protect the life of the amp's fuses
($.10) and you'll be in for a big repair job.

I appreciate your advice.

As you can guess, my advice is "Don't Do That!"

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:25:42 -0700, Maestro Mysterieux wrote:

Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?

Yup. Each amp will shunt the other. It will reduce the total output
and, perhaps, blow the amp.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Maestro Mysterieux wrote ...
Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?

Yes. The two amplifiers (left and right) will fight with each
other over who gets control of the speaker.

Both amps have the same signal going to it. Can I just connect the
wires which lead from the amps together and then connect that to a
wire going to the speaker?

NO.

Is there anything I must watch out for?

A good deal on a replacement amplifier?
(Or a good deal on repairing your broken amp)

I have mics and instruments going into a mixer. Their signals go
equally to the right and left amps of a stereo power amp. I.e. the
"pan" controls are all set to the middle position.

The power amp is a NIKKO 220 (120W + 120W) and the speaker is a Yamaha
SM15IV (Program [whatever that means] 500W, MAX 1000W). The amp takes
bare wire at the speaker output and the speaker takes a phono plug.

Use only one side of the amplifier if you have only one speaker.
Or use your amplifier in "bridged" mode (look it up in your
amplifier's user manual).

This is somewhat a generalization. There may be SOME
amplifiers that could take paralleling the outputs, but it
would not be reasonable to advise you from this distance
to try it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Maestro Mysterieux wrote:
Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?
Both amps have the same signal going to it. Can I just connect the
wires which lead from the amps together and then connect that to a
wire going to the speaker? Is there anything I must watch out for?

Yes, you must watch out for bad sound and blown-up amplifiers.

I have mics and instruments going into a mixer. Their signals go
equally to the right and left amps of a stereo power amp. I.e. the
"pan" controls are all set to the middle position.

The outputs are still likely to be not *identical*. Faders will not track
perfectly. It will be like having two car lashed together driving down the
motorway, each doing a slightly different speed (smell burning rubber and
strained powertrains ?).

The power amp is a NIKKO 220 (120W + 120W) and the speaker is a Yamaha
SM15IV (Program [whatever that means] 500W, MAX 1000W). The amp takes
bare wire at the speaker output and the speaker takes a phono plug.

I appreciate your advice.

Don't do it.

What you could do (but not a good idea if you needed to ask...) is get/make
a bridging adaptor and use the amps in bridge mode ( + out thru speaker to +
out on other channel. But the speaker impedence would need to be double the
individual channel recommended output impedence.

Or you could just use one channel, or buy another speaker.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:25:42 -0700, Maestro Mysterieux Maestro wrote:

Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?

No problem if you don't mind having it sound like **** and lasting only a few
weeks.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Maestro Mysterieux Maestro Mysterieux is offline

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Apparently the amp I have is not made to be bridged.

You might want to see and possibly correct this Wiki entry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

Here is another interesting link:

http://sound.westhost.com/project14.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Maestro Mysterieux wrote ...
Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Apparently the amp I have is not made to be bridged.

You might want to see and possibly correct this Wiki entry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

A prime example of how a wiki can go wrong. This is the most
incompetent thing I have seen online in several months. If the
rest of that wiki is equivalent, the entire website should be shut
down before someone starts a fire or electrocutes themselves.

Here is another interesting link:

http://sound.westhost.com/project14.htm

OTOH, Rod Elliot knows what he is talking about.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Maestro Mysterieux wrote in message

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Apparently the amp I have is not made to be bridged.

You might want to see and possibly correct this Wiki entry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

**Complete ********. I suggest that, unless you know exactly what you are
doing, you should not attempt to bridge an amplifier which is not
specifically designed to be bridged. BTW: Bridging is not what you
originally asked about.

Here is another interesting link:

http://sound.westhost.com/project14.htm

**Yep. Nothing wrong with that. Read it and ignore the nonsense on with Wiki
site.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?

No problem if you don't mind having it sound like **** and lasting only a

few
weeks.

A few seconds more likely.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Maestro Mysterieux wrote:

Is there a problem connecting both the left and right amps of a stereo
amp to one speaker?
Both amps have the same signal going to it. Can I just connect the
wires which lead from the amps together and then connect that to a
wire going to the speaker? Is there anything I must watch out for?

I have mics and instruments going into a mixer. Their signals go
equally to the right and left amps of a stereo power amp. I.e. the
"pan" controls are all set to the middle position.

The power amp is a NIKKO 220 (120W + 120W) and the speaker is a Yamaha
SM15IV (Program [whatever that means] 500W, MAX 1000W). The amp takes
bare wire at the speaker output and the speaker takes a phono plug.

I appreciate your advice

If you put enough series resistance on each output, it will work. Some amps are designed to do this,
most all are not.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Maestro Mysterieux wrote:

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Apparently the amp I have is not made to be bridged.

You might want to see and possibly correct this Wiki entry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

Here is another interesting link:

http://sound.westhost.com/project14.htm

Some bridge an amp with the line isolators talked about here on RAT.
All you do is reverse the connections on one side. It works, but you can't load
down the amp with too little impedance.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (Don Pearce) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Most all.... Which? Most, or all? Can't be both.

If you take all amps, most are not going to work. I never really tried it.
I have not even tried it with my Crown amp. I think I have a Peavey
that also parallels. If you have a beefy amp, paralleling will at most
provide only twice the power, where bridging can quadruple the power.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
Maestro Mysterieux wrote ...

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
Apparently the amp I have is not made to be bridged.

You might want to see and possibly correct this Wiki entry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

A prime example of how a wiki can go wrong. This is the most
incompetent thing I have seen online in several months. If the
rest of that wiki is equivalent, the entire website should be shut
down before someone starts a fire or electrocutes themselves.

A wiki is only as good as it's contributors. Sorta like usenet. Don't
believe everything your read on the internets.

In the case of WikiHow (the wiki with the article), they've got serious
QC issues...

On another topic, did you know that the population of elephants has tripled?

//Walt