Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Default Connecting a DVD player to a TV with an F connector

Joy wrote in
news
My daughter has a small TV with just an RG-6 F connector
input. I want to hook up a DVD player to it.

I was looking at a DVD player which has several jacks on the
back...

The first three are RGB
Then an S-Video
The next group is
Video (yellow)
COAXIAL (orange)
R-Audio (red)
L-Audio (White)

Can I just connect the coaxial plug from the DVD player to the
TV? Where would I get a cable that has an RCA plug at one end
and an F type connector at the other?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks so much!

Joy

No Joy, you need a device called a modulator that will take the
video signal from the video or s-video output from the player,
plus the sound connections, and convert them to a television
signal, usually on channel 3 or 4. Radio Shack, amongst other
retailers, sells them.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joy Joy is offline

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:39:28 -0400, Bob Quintal
wrote:

[...]

I did see that modulator in an old RS catalog.
So what is the coaxial output used for? This DVD player

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4810670

seems to just play stuff so it shouldn't be an input jack.

I got this picture of the rear jacks from the above site.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dvd.jpg

The guy at RS just told me on the phone that a single cable from the
coaxial output to the F connector may work. If they had a cable with the
right connectors, that is.
(RS doesn't seem to be nearly as well stocked as before). Now I'm thinking
he's wrong. Still, I like to learn things, so what IS the coaxial output
used for?

Thanks again!

Joy

Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob bob is offline

Joy wrote:

My daughter has a small TV with just an RG-6 F connector
input. I want to hook up a DVD player to it.

You need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...63UWS?v=glance

Or do it the easy way: Walk into any Best Buy, or Circuit City, or
whatever the equivalent is near you, and tell them you want to hook up
a DVD player to an old TV that doesn't have composite inputs. They will
sell you a little black box with a composite input and an output that
looks like what's on the back of your TV. Connect using common sense.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Joy" wrote...
I got this picture of the rear jacks from the above site.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bjkass123/dvd.jpg

The guy at RS just told me on the phone that a single cable from the
coaxial output to the F connector may work. If they had a cable with the
right connectors, that is.

No offense, but the "guy at RS" may have been flipping
burgers and asking if you want fries with that last week.
Its hard to find good help.

(RS doesn't seem to be nearly as well stocked as before).

Do you mean stocked with merchandise, or stocked with
people who know what they are talking about? :-)

Now I'm thinking he's wrong. Still, I like to learn things, so what IS
the coaxial output used for?

The "coaxial" (orange) connector is for digital audio.

The "F-connector" on the TV set is for antenna/RF/cable
signals. No other kind of input will work. None of the
outputs from that DVD player will directly connect with
the antenna input on your TV receiver.

If you have a TV receiver with ONLY an F-connector RF/
antenna input, the only way of connecting that DVD player
is to use a modulator.

Radio Shack shows two modulators currently on their website...
15-2541 "Easy Answers Stereo DV Install Kit" $19.99
15-2526 "RF Modulator Video Component Adapter" $24.99
I thought they used to have a cheaper one, but they seem to
be trying to go "up-scale".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joy Joy is offline

Ok. An RF Modulator thingy is the way to go.
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice!

Joy
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Joy" wrote in message
news
Ok. An RF Modulator thingy is the way to go.
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice!

Nobody has mentioned plugging it into a VCR if you have one with RF out
(most do)
In fact you can even use one that no longer works properly to tape, and can
be had for nothing on any garbage dump.
Of course size may be an issue in that case.
An even better alternative would be to plug it into a DVR that has RF out,
but a lot of those don't.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Joy" wrote in message
news
My daughter has a small TV with just an RG-6 F connector
input. I want to hook up a DVD player to it.

Been there, done that.

I was looking at a DVD player which has several jacks on
the back...

The first three are RGB
Then an S-Video
The next group is
Video (yellow)
COAXIAL (orange)
R-Audio (red)
L-Audio (White)

Can I just connect the coaxial plug from the DVD player
to the TV?

No. The input to the TV is RF, and all the outputs of the DVD player are
video.

Where would I get a cable that has an RCA plug
at one end and an F type connector at the other?

You need more than just a cable.

Is there a better way to do this?

Yes, like everybody else says, get a modulator that transforms video and
audio into RF.

The irony is that for about $40 you can get a modulator, or for about $50
you can get a VCR that includes a pretty servicable modulator, another tuner
and oh, by the way a whole operational VCR. I guess you can take this as a
hint that if you have an old VCR kicking around the house, voila! there's
your solution!

Actually, you can get fairly servicable modulators for far less than $40,
this one for example:

http://www.smarthome.com/7764t.html

Radio Shack's Model: 15-2526 is another example of a modulator - about $25.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
The irony is that for about $40 you can get a modulator, or for about $50
you can get a VCR that includes a pretty servicable modulator, another
tuner and oh, by the way a whole operational VCR. I guess you can take
this as a hint that if you have an old VCR kicking around the house,
voila! there's your solution!

Not necessarily. Remember that DVD players are required
to implement Macrovision encoding, and VCRs are required
to interperet it. Many modern VCRs will not even pass-through
Macrovision encoded video (as from a DVD player).
I have seen this first-hand.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mr.T" wrote ...
Nobody has mentioned plugging it into a VCR if you have one with RF out
(most do)

But many VCRs won't pass-thru Macrovision-encoded video
(as from that DVD player), so this is not necessarily a solution.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Joy" wrote in message
news
My daughter has a small TV with just an RG-6 F connector input.
I want to hook up a DVD player to it.

I was looking at a DVD player which has several jacks on the back...

The first three are RGB
Then an S-Video
The next group is
Video (yellow)
COAXIAL (orange)
R-Audio (red)
L-Audio (White)

Can I just connect the coaxial plug from the DVD player to the TV? Where
would I get a cable that has an RCA plug at one end and an F type
connector at the other?

Is there a better way to do this?

The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors in and
out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110. Not only will
you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.tech

normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors
in and out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110.
Not only will you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu is offline

On 2006-09-07, Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors
in and out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110.
Not only will you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a recorder.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors
in and out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110.
Not only will you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors
in and out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110.
Not only will you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

One would need a converter. A VCR would work good, except, sorry,
no stereo, unless the audio is fed separate.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GregS" wrote in message

In article , "Richard
Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that
has F connectors in and out. Consider the Lite-On
5005 on sale at Costco for $110. Not only will you be
able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a
recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

One would need a converter. A VCR would work good,
except, sorry,
no stereo, unless the audio is fed separate.

AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"GregS" wrote in message

In article , "Richard
Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that
has F connectors in and out. Consider the Lite-On
5005 on sale at Costco for $110. Not only will you be
able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a
recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

One would need a converter. A VCR would work good,
except, sorry,
no stereo, unless the audio is fed separate.

AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

No they don't, or I should say most don't. They do not use a stereo
modulator. I do not know of one VCR that does.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

I used to believe that also. But it appears that all the ones
made in the last several years are mono :-( It could be for
one (or more) of these reasons: a) cost cutting; b) assumption
that if you are using RF, you likely have a low-end (mono)
TV receiver; c) licensing fees for the stereo protocol (Dolby)?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:28:44 GMT, GregS wrote:

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"GregS" wrote in message

In article , "Richard
Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that
has F connectors in and out. Consider the Lite-On
5005 on sale at Costco for $110. Not only will you be
able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a
recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

One would need a converter. A VCR would work good,
except, sorry,
no stereo, unless the audio is fed separate.

AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

No they don't, or I should say most don't. They do not use a stereo
modulator. I do not know of one VCR that does.

Even if they did, they'd still barf on the macrovision.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

I used to believe that also. But it appears that all the ones
made in the last several years are mono :-( It could be for
one (or more) of these reasons: a) cost cutting; b) assumption
that if you are using RF, you likely have a low-end (mono)
TV receiver; c) licensing fees for the stereo protocol (Dolby)?

I think licensing was a main factor.

I was checking out a Sony DSR-45A. What
a machine, but I don't think it even has an RF out.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:

AFAIK, stereo VCRs convert stereo audio into a stereo TV signal.

I used to believe that also. But it appears that all the ones
made in the last several years are mono :-( It could be for
one (or more) of these reasons: a) cost cutting; b) assumption
that if you are using RF, you likely have a low-end (mono)
TV receiver; c) licensing fees for the stereo protocol (Dolby)?

It's a combination of A and C, I believe. Television stereo uses MTX,
which is based on technology that depends on patents held by dbx. In
order to build an MTX-compatible encoder (such as a DVD player or VCR
would need) you need to license the IP from dbx.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2006-09-07, Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
normanstrong wrote ...
The best way to do it is to buy a DVD recorder that has F connectors
in and out. Consider the Lite-On 5005 on sale at Costco for $110.
Not only will you be able to play DVDs, but record them as well!

Indeed. A heckuva deal.

Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.

I think the OP said the player had coax output; & I'm not
familar with all makes & models of DVD players ever made.

Do you work at Radio Shack?

That statement makes you a ****head. I never worked for Radio
Shack nor do I feel the necessity to be "politically correct",
which is really politically incorrect, & state that I don't
have any connection with Radio Shack. Considering your
@intel.com id, such remarks by you are totally expected
of someone from Intel.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
Radio Shack has F to RCA adaptors; much cheaper than a recorder.

The DVD player *does not* output any kind of RF signal
that would work into the F-connector on the TV. No kind
of simple connector-adapter will work for this situation.
Do you work at Radio Shack?

One would need a converter. A VCR would work good, except, sorry,
no stereo,

In fact *many* VCR's are stereo. However macrovision protection may be an
issue in some cases, as someone else pointed out.

unless the audio is fed separate.

I can't imagine a TV having separate audio inputs and no video input. But
you could feed the audio to a HiFi or HT system.

MrT.

SACD player recommendation insoc Audio Opinions 34 April 15th 06 08:02 PM
DVD player audio distortion tk Tech 9 August 17th 04 09:18 AM
MP3 player with best hardware + software UI Bennett Haselton Tech 18 June 19th 04 11:57 PM
HT disconnect CD player in Geo Metro? FasDeth Car Audio 0 April 26th 04 10:27 PM
Looking for a portable CD player with a real resume feature Bice General 0 July 27th 03 04:19 PM