Robert Easton

Default 3 subs off 2 amps?

Ok, I know you can do this if the subs are DVC and if you do it the amps
should be the same. But what I want to know is if it is advisable to do
this. I currently have 2 rockford fosgate 1050s's and I like them But I want
to run 3 subs that will require a little more power.

Roxtar

"Robert Easton" wrote in message . ..
Ok, I know you can do this if the subs are DVC and if you do it the amps
should be the same. But what I want to know is if it is advisable to do
this. I currently have 2 rockford fosgate 1050s's and I like them But I want
to run 3 subs that will require a little more power.

People hook up 2 amps to DVC subs all the time, nothing wrong with
that.... Never did it myself, but I know it's common. If I was
contemplating a setup like you're proposing, it wouldn't even have
occurred to me that it *might* be a problem, I'd just do it... What's
the difference between that and hooking up 2 channels of the same amp
to each voice coil?
Scott Gardner

Roxtar wrote:

"Robert Easton" wrote in message
. ..
Ok, I know you can do this if the subs are DVC and if you do it the amps
should be the same. But what I want to know is if it is advisable to do
this. I currently have 2 rockford fosgate 1050s's and I like them But I
want to run 3 subs that will require a little more power.

People hook up 2 amps to DVC subs all the time, nothing wrong with
that.... Never did it myself, but I know it's common. If I was
contemplating a setup like you're proposing, it wouldn't even have
occurred to me that it *might* be a problem, I'd just do it... What's
the difference between that and hooking up 2 channels of the same amp
to each voice coil?

The difference is that he's trying to drive three subs with two amps.

Nothing wrong with it from a theoretical standpoint, but I'm trying to
figure out how you would actually wire the subs so that you could drive
three DVC subs with two channels of amplification, while delivering the
same power to each sub AND keeping the load impedance correct for the amps.

The only thing I've come up with so far would be if each voice coil is 8
ohms. Then, you could take one coil from each sub, wire these three coils
in parallel for a 2.66-ohm load, and drive that with one of the amps. Then
do the same for the remaining three voice coils and drive them with the
other amp. As long as the amps are 2-ohm stable into a mono load, all
should be well.

It would be better if each coil in the sub was 1-ohm, but I don't know how
many of those there are out there.

Scott Gardner

Sub's and Amps Tre Cool Car Audio 1 January 23rd 04 02:17 PM
Car Audio Amps and Subs David Car Audio 1 January 15th 04 02:31 AM
Any opinion on Cadence amps & subs?! David Car Audio 4 December 17th 03 01:30 AM
Please help configure my subs with correct amps Dean Car Audio 1 September 1st 03 12:58 AM
Tons of stuff to sell - amps, head unit, processors, etc. Ge0 Car Audio 3 August 5th 03 04:24 AM