Posted to rec.audio.car
Mook Johnson

Default 4 channel 40 - 75w/ch (RMS) amp recommendation

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality amp in the 4 x 50 watt
range.

I'm not looking for competition amps just something for the causal listener
driving 2 pairs of JL audio tr690 6x9s.

It won't be cranked to the max ever and mostly run at low volumes (wifes
car).

I'm looking for low noise, good reliability (in this lite application),
minimum turn-on/off thump. must not be "nasty" on the high end should be
more smooth then harsh.

Head unit will be a Pioneer deh-p6800mp

thanks

Looking at

Soundstream xta 360.4 - $99 at Frys
Apline MRP-F250 - $125 ebay
Pioneer GM-6100F - ~$100 ebay

How are other budget brands like?

Profile (good comsumer ratings on crutchfield, etc)
Lightning Audio (look cheezy but ok?)
Audiobahn
Sony

opinions?

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=269-164
These are great quality, especally for the price.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

In article , "Mook Johnson"
wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent quality amp in the 4 x 50 watt
range.

I'm not looking for competition amps just something for the causal listener
driving 2 pairs of JL audio tr690 6x9s.

It won't be cranked to the max ever and mostly run at low volumes (wifes
car).

I'm looking for low noise, good reliability (in this lite application),
minimum turn-on/off thump. must not be "nasty" on the high end should be
more smooth then harsh

A good amp won't color your sound, meaning that what comes out of HU gets
amplified then colored by your speakers.

Head unit will be a Pioneer deh-p6800mp

thanks

Looking at

Soundstream xta 360.4 - $99 at Frys

I have not used this model, but they have always made solid amps.

Apline MRP-F250 - $125 ebay

Good sounding, very sensitive to alternator or RCA noise, melt when pushed
hard.

Pioneer GM-6100F - ~$100 ebay

Same as above.

How are other budget brands like?

This are a budget fleamarket brands, but will run your 6x9's all day long with
the exception the sony, Sony build quality is really poor, it's hit or miss.

Profile (good comsumer ratings on crutchfield, etc)
Lightning Audio (look cheezy but ok?)
Audiobahn
Sony

opinions?

I personally like MTX amps, they are rock soild and fairly cheap on Ebay. They
have fixed repair rates with a super fast turn-around time (something of the
size that you are looking at is about $45 with return shipping) if you have a
bad day and short or burn out a speaker or if someone hooks up booster cables
the wrong way this comes in very handy.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

A good amp won't color your sound, meaning that what comes out of HU gets
amplified then colored by your speakers.

I agree. Today's amps, even the cheaper ones, will not "color" the sound.
The problem with asking a question like "which amp should I buy" in this
group is that you are likely to get a different answer from every poster. I
guess the only advice I would give you is to try and stay away from the
"swap-meet" brands (Rockwood, Visonik, Pyle, Legacy, etc.) as these
amplifiers lack the quality of the major brands. While this will likely not
effect sound quality, IT WILL effect the longevity of the amp.

Also, Ebay is great place to shop for amps if you don't mind used. I have
bought some really great gear on Ebay at a FRACTION of the retail price.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
mook Johnson

I'm looking for the "value" amps for the guys that won't stuff them in a
cramed up space and run them at full clip all day long.

Back in the early 90's the value amps that had excellent sound quality were
Sherwood and Alphasonic. I've owned and compared these to the higher end
Punch and HK amps of the time and found no difference in sound quality
before clipping.

I'd buy these again in a minute but they are no longer available.

I'm looking for a similar "value" amp today.

I'd heard that the old names have shuffeled around and nolonger represent
the quality they used to.

Any recommendations for 4 x ~50WRMS amps for under ~$150

Not looking for the best (save the arguing for another thread), just a good
solid amp that won't hisss, whine if wired correctly, or die after the first
pothole.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

OK, well I use a Jensen amp in my system (among other amps) and have been
very pleased with it. The build quality is EXCELLENT and it has all the
usual features. Despite the reputation Jensen may have, I have nothing but
praise for these amps (well, at least mine). The JPA460 has 4 X 60 watts
RMS (150 watts X 4 dynamic power).

AVDeals has it for $140.98, check out
http://caraudio.avdeals.com/amplifiers/JPA460.htm

Sounds like it perfectly fits your needs.

MOSFET

"mook Johnson" wrote in message
I'm looking for the "value" amps for the guys that won't stuff them in a
cramed up space and run them at full clip all day long.

Back in the early 90's the value amps that had excellent sound quality
were Sherwood and Alphasonic. I've owned and compared these to the higher
end Punch and HK amps of the time and found no difference in sound quality
before clipping.

I'd buy these again in a minute but they are no longer available.

I'm looking for a similar "value" amp today.

I'd heard that the old names have shuffeled around and nolonger represent
the quality they used to.

Any recommendations for 4 x ~50WRMS amps for under ~$150

Not looking for the best (save the arguing for another thread), just a
good solid amp that won't hisss, whine if wired correctly, or die after
the first pothole.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Rob Kulp

[...]

It's more than what you are looking to spend, but Elemental Designs makes an
excellent product and carries a 3 year warranty.
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...atures&cur=USD

Amplifier model Nine.4 65x4 @ 4ohms @ 12.5v

Rpb

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Also, I would check out PartExpress as recommended by the first poster (see
the link he has). They are selling Aura amps DIRT CHEAP (it's a factory
discontinue deal or something). Aura is a pretty reputable brand and they
usually sells for lots of $$$, but I think you can find a four channel in
your price range.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

In fact, the more I think about it, you would be foolish to buy ANYTHING
ELSE!!!!!

GET THOSE AURA AMPS WHILE THEY LAST!!!!

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

I just ordered my Aura 4x50. Also ordered a 2x150. Will be here
friday!

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
mook Johnson

Let me know how you like it.

"mastarecoil" wrote in
message ...

I just ordered my Aura 4x50. Also ordered a 2x150. Will be here
friday!

--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
mook Johnson

Hey MOSFET,

I think I remember reading that you worked at phoenix gold for for a while.
How doe PG ampl abailable to day stack up? Were there any radical changes?

PG used to be a top of the line brand.

m...

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Amp is arriving today....however, wont have a chance to play with it for
a while.

--
mastarecoil
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, I worked there in the late nineties and early 2000's. I don't work in
this industry anymore, however (it's still my #1 hobby. though), so I really
can't tell you anything about today's PG amps. From what I have heard
second hand from end-users, dealers and installers, they still make decent
quality gear, but my gut tells me they are not the "****" they used to be in
the late nineties (though I personally would NEVER use any other
interconnect except PG). Maybe someone who works in the industry (retailer,
installer) could offer more insight.

MOSFET

"mook Johnson" wrote in message
Hey MOSFET,

I think I remember reading that you worked at phoenix gold for for a
while.
How doe PG ampl abailable to day stack up? Were there any radical
changes?

PG used to be a top of the line brand.

m...

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, PLEASE let us know how you like it as I'm considering buying one (or
more) of those just to have on hand for the future (in case one of my amps
blows up or if a friend needs an amp). At those prices, it is simply a
STEAL!

MOSFET

"mastarecoil" wrote in
message ...

Amp is arriving today....however, wont have a chance to play with it for
a while.

--
mastarecoil

Posted to rec.audio.car
mastarecoil

Browsing around on various car audio board the reviews are awesome, not
its not top end, but its worth well more than $100.

As an extra bonus, I think it looks really nice too. I plan to have my
amps exposed on my install, so having them look nice is a big plus for
me. I might paint them silver (they are gray) to match my car. I am
not a fan of the flashy looks of a lot of the stuff out there
(especally in the lower price range). Quality was my top concern
though, and I am confident that thats what I will be getting.

--
mastarecoil