albert

Default ### Why do this happen to my audio cd's ??? ###

Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? Can using the
fast forward (ex moving from song # 1 to song# 7 )options on your
audio player cause scratches on the the CD ?

I always check the audio CD's I buy and Im lucky enought that 99% of
the ones Ive bought have no scratches when new. Of these 99%
scratchless CD when new
, I noticed that some of them ( specially those I listen to quite
often ) have some scratches. Though these scratches did not result in
skipping nor was there any changes in audio quality, I just wonder why
these scratches came about. My CD player is NOT the portable type so
its just in one place stationary and level . My Cd's are only played
in that player ( Sony brand ) I clean my CD player often and I dont
touch the backside (silverside) of the CD. Im sure no one else touches
them either. I lock my Cd's up after use and Im the only one who has
the keys to it.
David Wood

Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? Can using the
fast forward (ex moving from song # 1 to song# 7 )options on your
audio player cause scratches on the the CD ?

No, not unless your CD player is somehow defective.
jriegle

The CD player uses light to read the data on the disk. There is no physical
contact other than the center spindle area. It is possible a defective
player could scratch the disk.

If the data side has minor scratches, it is rather easy to polish them out
with plastic polish or automotive finish wax.

I have also seen these overpriced pieces of Mylar that are placed on to the
CD and protect it from scratches.

John

"albert" wrote in message
m...
[...]

TCS

On 29 Sep 2003 04:05:43 -0700, albert wrote:
... I clean my CD player often and I dont

You've probably ruined the lens on your cd player.

scraping off dust (read: tiny abrasive rocks) off the lens at high speed
is not a good thing.

The best thing you can do with your cd lens cleaning kit it toss it in the
trash.

TCS

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:10:05 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Too much cleaning can ruin the CD player's lens. If it goes blind
enough, it can smack the lens into the CD while trying to focus.

You shouldn't post when you haven't the slightest ****ing clue about the
subject.

Kevin McMurtrie

wrote:

Too much cleaning can ruin the CD player's lens. If it goes blind
enough, it can smack the lens into the CD while trying to focus.

You shouldn't post when you haven't the slightest ****ing clue about the
subject.

You shouldn't post, period.

Having the lens hit the CD is a problem in some players. The player
looses tracking, the linear focusing motor relaxes, and the lens bounces
undamped. Sony electronics are often marginal or poor in quality so I'd
suspect that it's one that can do it. The poster mentioned frequent
cleaning, which isn't a great idea.
albert

(Dick Pierce) wrote in message . com...
(albert) wrote in message om...
Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? Can using the
fast forward (ex moving from song # 1 to song# 7 )options on your
audio player cause scratches on the the CD ?

I always check the audio CD's I buy and Im lucky enought that 99% of
the ones Ive bought have no scratches when new. Of these 99%
scratchless CD when new
, I noticed that some of them ( specially those I listen to quite
often ) have some scratches.

What kind of scratches?

Are they nice and circular, concentric with the center of the disk,
either all the way around or partial arcs? If so, they would indicate
that there is something touching the disk while it's spinning.

Are they perfectly straight scratches, maybe even parallel to one
another? If so, that might indicate a problem occuring when the CD
drawer is opening or closing.

Are they random direction, length, very different from CD to CD? If
so, these are problem scratches resulting from improper handling.

Thanks for the responce guys I appreciate it. As far as cleaning I
only use a CD lens cleaner. Its like a CD that has some soft brushes
that you play for about 15 sec. The scratches are random in direction
, length and different from CD to CD. If this is the result of
improper handling then I dont know what Im doing wrong. I dont touch
the silver side of the CD, I dont bend the cd. When placing the CD on
the player I make sure its placed level. The CD player is in a fixed
location and my cd player is a Sony which I bought brand new. After
listening I take ample care in removing the cd and place it back in
its individual plastic case . This is why Im really surprised on why
these scratches occur specially now that you guys have made it known
to me that The CD player uses light to read the data on the disk so
there is no physical
contact other than the center spindle area. I think I would take my
player to a Sony service center to see if its the CD player which is
the cause of this.

Is the audio quality of Mp3 as good or better than those on CD ? Im
considering making MP3 copies of all my CD .

Mark D. Zacharias

I have seen the occasional unexplained circular pattern of scratching which
_might_ indicate the lens hit the disc. From a technical standpoint, this
seems nearly impossible, since the lens would have to push up about another
2 or 3mm. If the drive IC "rails out" I suppose it's possible.

Mark Z.

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message

wrote:

Too much cleaning can ruin the CD player's lens. If it goes blind
enough, it can smack the lens into the CD while trying to focus.

You shouldn't post when you haven't the slightest ****ing clue about the
subject.

You shouldn't post, period.

Having the lens hit the CD is a problem in some players. The player
looses tracking, the linear focusing motor relaxes, and the lens bounces
undamped. Sony electronics are often marginal or poor in quality so I'd
suspect that it's one that can do it. The poster mentioned frequent
cleaning, which isn't a great idea.

TCS

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:26:28 GMT, Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
I have seen the occasional unexplained circular pattern of scratching which
_might_ indicate the lens hit the disc. From a technical standpoint, this
seems nearly impossible, since the lens would have to push up about another
2 or 3mm. If the drive IC "rails out" I suppose it's possible.

it isn't and it doesn't. McMurtrie was simply talking out his ass again.
Sofie

Mark D. Zacharias:
Yes, I agree with you.....
I also have seen this circular pattern of scratching but I think it is
usually attributed to when the CD is ejected it sometimes in some CD players
can still be spinning when it hits the tray..... also, the cartridge
machines by JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, can cause a little "normal" wear and tear
when they "handle" the CD....... the worse offenders are the automotive/car
CD player that take in a single CD from the front....... the rollers can
mar the surface of the disc.... especially if they are worn or dirty.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
newsZxeb.9827
I have seen the occasional unexplained circular pattern of scratching

which
_might_ indicate the lens hit the disc. From a technical standpoint, this
seems nearly impossible, since the lens would have to push up about

another
2 or 3mm. If the drive IC "rails out" I suppose it's possible.
Mark Z.

Harry Muscle

"albert" wrote in message
m...
(Dick Pierce) wrote in message

. com...
(albert) wrote in message
om...
Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? Can using the
fast forward (ex moving from song # 1 to song# 7 )options on your
audio player cause scratches on the the CD ?

I always check the audio CD's I buy and Im lucky enought that 99% of
the ones Ive bought have no scratches when new. Of these 99%
scratchless CD when new
, I noticed that some of them ( specially those I listen to quite
often ) have some scratches.

What kind of scratches?

Are they nice and circular, concentric with the center of the disk,
either all the way around or partial arcs? If so, they would indicate
that there is something touching the disk while it's spinning.

Are they perfectly straight scratches, maybe even llel to one
[...]

Do you store your CDs in jewel cases or those sleeves? If it's the sleeves
then it's probably them scratching it (it's happened to me). If in jewel
cases, do you ever spin the CD in the jewel case (ie: to align the label
with the case)? If so, then the scratches might be coming from that.

Harry

Richard Crowley

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote ...
Unless the scratches are causing your player to skip,
I wouldn't use the polish. When you polish, you are
thinning out the protective layer.

No. The side you are polishing (the "bottom") is completely
flat and featureless. The information (data pits) are on the
OTHER SIDE of the disk (i.e. under the "label").

Polish enough, and you will damage the disc.

You'd have to polish for years to wear through the entire
thickness of the disk.

OTOH, any significant scratch or poke on the "label" side
is likely fatal and cannot be repaired.

Best bet is to figure out what is scratching your discs
and fix that problem.

Certainly.

Rusty Boudreaux

"albert" wrote in message
m...

that you play for about 15 sec. The scratches are random in

direction
, length and different from CD to CD. If this is the result of
improper handling then I dont know what Im doing wrong. I dont

touch

Something is obviously touching the disk. The random
direction/length is most often caused by improper
handling...usually when jammed back into the jewel case (although
you seem to be careful) or thrown into the player tray. My guess
is it's getting scratched when you place it in the tray or take
it out. Some players will drop the CD back onto the tray before
the disk is stopped...but this usually results in predominantly
circular scratches.

Get a new blank CDR or pristine CD. Run it through a few
iterations of in/out of the jewel case and CD player and inspect
after each step. Hopefully you will see when the damage is
occurring.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
(albert) wrote:

(Dick Pierce) wrote in message
. com...
(albert) wrote in message
om...
[...]

You don't have to use MP3. You can save them uncompressed (lossless) if
you have the hard drive space for it. Uncompressed CD data is about
10.1MB a minute.

MP3 encoders vary greatly in quality in that there are many ways to
calculate how to encode music using limited bandwidth. LAME is supposed
to be one of the better ones. The AAC/MPEG 4 format can be very good
but it's not as widely supported yet.
DougC

albert wrote:

Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? ....

Because you shouldn't be playing your CD's, silly.---You rip them to a
computer as 192 Kb/sec MP3's, and then run the computer's good-soundcard
audio output into your amp's line-in. Then you can store all your
expensive/rare CD's in a secret underground vault where they are safe.
Ta Daa! ........ -For super-extra bonus points, get some jukebox
software (Musicmatch Jukebox is one)--it is wonderful to be able to set
up a playlist spanning your entire music collection, that resumes on the
playlist wherever it left off last time you used it.
~

Richard Crowley

albert wrote:
Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? ....

PLAYING them will NOT cause scratches unless something
is dramatically wrong with your player.

OTOH, HANDLING them is what causes scratches. Whether
manually or (in some cases even) via automation like changers,
etc.

Arny Krueger

"DougC" wrote in message
albert wrote:

Will audio CD get scratches if they are played often ? ....

Because you shouldn't be playing your CD's, silly.---You rip them to a
computer as 192 Kb/sec MP3's, and then run the computer's good-soundcard
audio output into your amp's line-in. Then you can store all your
expensive/rare CD's in a secret underground vault where they are safe.
Ta Daa! ........ -For super-extra bonus points, get some jukebox
software (Musicmatch Jukebox is one)--it is wonderful to be able to set
up a playlist spanning your entire music collection, that resumes on the
playlist wherever it left off last time you used it.
~

There's no doubt that MP3 processing at least occasionally causes some sonic
compromises. Given that big hard drives are cheap, there's nothing difficult
about going the no-compromise route and just ripping and playing .WAV files.

At this time it seems to me that iTunes is the best deal going for
integrated ripping and music library management.