David Satz

Default TLM 103 and RNP combination

"Billy Bee" wrote:

Has anyone been using a Neumann TLM 103 with a RNP preamp? [ ... ]
From what I've read in earlier threads, the TLM seems to soar with
some preamps and less so with others.

The TLM 103 is a bit of a rough customer for some preamps--it has very high
output levels and it demands more current for its phantom powering circuit
than older, transformer-equipped condenser designs tended to draw. So there
are some preamps that don't work properly or reliably with it.

Fortunately the RNP isn't one of them--its inputs can take over a Volt of
signal without clipping, and its phantom powering implementation passes my
usual test (the voltage is within spec when ca. 4.5 mA per channel is being
drawn--the TLM 103 needs only about 3 mA).
Ricky W. Hunt

"David Satz" wrote in message
om...
The TLM 103 is a bit of a rough customer for some preamps--it has very

high
output levels

I can't run my TLM103 on the preamps I have over unity gain (miking moderate
vocals at 12"). Which is fine but I was wondering does this mean (after
phantom powering of course) it could be connected directly to a tape deck
(with no mic preamp) or any line level input? I've read about things like
that but have never done it so I have no experience.

David Satz

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

I can't run my TLM103 on the preamps I have over unity gain (miking
moderate vocals at 12"). Which is fine but I was wondering does this
mean (after phantom powering of course) it could be connected directly
to a tape deck (with no mic preamp) or any line level input? I've read
about things like that but have never done it so I have no experience.

Well, "moderate" vocals probably wouldn't drive the line inputs of your
tape deck to very good levels, unfortunately; you'll most likely need some
amount of preamplification, or else the recording will be noisy.

Just from curiosity, what preamps do you have now that you can't use?

If your tape deck has balanced inputs with an impedance greater than 1 kOhm,
you can try connecting the microphone directly (after phantom powering as
you say). However, it's very important that you not send the phantom
powering voltage into those line inputs, since that could damage them.

Again, what type of phantom power supply would you be using, and does it
have transformers or blocking capacitors on its outputs to prevent DC
from being passed along to the next component in line?
Ricky W. Hunt

"David Satz" wrote in message
m...
Well, "moderate" vocals probably wouldn't drive the line inputs of your
tape deck to very good levels, unfortunately; you'll most likely need some
amount of preamplification, or else the recording will be noisy.

Just from curiosity, what preamps do you have now that you can't use?

The ones I've have work just fine. It seems like I remember reading (years
ago of course) about some pieces of equipment being so hot you could connect
them directly to a tape deck (which I don't use anymore but I guess it would
be the same with any line input). I've just noticed that I can never turn
above unity gain so I was just wondering. "Just to know" kind of thing.

Scott Dorsey

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:
output levels

I can't run my TLM103 on the preamps I have over unity gain (miking moderate
vocals at 12"). Which is fine but I was wondering does this mean (after
phantom powering of course) it could be connected directly to a tape deck
(with no mic preamp) or any line level input? I've read about things like
that but have never done it so I have no experience.

Yes. Get one of the little $50 outboard phantom supplies. Make sure it
has blocking caps if you're plugging into things without input transformers.
The best-sounding preamp is no preamp at all.

Garthrr

In article Thlbb.538333$o%2.235430@sccrnsc02, "Ricky W. Hunt"
writes:

I can't run my TLM103 on the preamps I have over unity gain (miking moderate
vocals at 12"). Which is fine but I was wondering does this mean (after
phantom powering of course) it could be connected directly to a tape deck
(with no mic preamp) or any line level input? I've read about things like
that but have never done it so I have no experience.

I ran a TLM 103 into a phantom power unit and then straight to recorder one
time when recording floor tom. I dont think many vocals would drive the mic
hard enough to get a hot signal to tape.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Ricky W. Hunt

"Garthrr" wrote in message
I ran a TLM 103 into a phantom power unit and then straight to recorder

one
time when recording floor tom. I dont think many vocals would drive the

mic
hard enough to get a hot signal to tape.

Thanks. Just wondering for if ever put in a pinch.