Posted to rec.audio.car
Scott[_2_] Scott[_2_] is offline

Default Maybe a dumb question but...

I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to my
new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not work now.
It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will not play and
the display does not light up. Could this be because of an anti theft
device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the car, I moved the
old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Scott

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Scott wrote:
I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to my
new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not work now.
It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will not play and
the display does not light up. Could this be because of an anti theft
device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the car, I moved the
old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Are you sure BOTH power feeds are working? It needs both constant,
unswitched power (usually a yellow wire) as well as switched Accessory
power (usually a red wire). Make sure both are connection and energized.

In this case, it sounds to me like you have constant power, but not
switched.
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Scott" wrote in message
I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to my
new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not work
now. It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will not
play and the display does not light up. Could this be because of an anti
theft device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the car, I
moved the old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Sounds like you may not be getting power to the red ACC wire.
What year and type vehicle is it. Some newer vehicles do not have
A ACC wire and need a speacial wire harness adapter to work (mostly GM's)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

e-nigma wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to my
new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not work
now. It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will not
play and the display does not light up. Could this be because of an anti
theft device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the car, I
moved the old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Sounds like you may not be getting power to the red ACC wire.
What year and type vehicle is it. Some newer vehicles do not have
A ACC wire and need a speacial wire harness adapter to work (mostly GM's)

I've seen some (mostly VWs, I think) that don't have an ACC feed at all,
you have to tap into the IGNition for switched power.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Scott[_2_] Scott[_2_] is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
e-nigma wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to
my new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not
work now. It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will
not play and the display does not light up. Could this be because of an
anti theft device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the
car, I moved the old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any
help is appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Sounds like you may not be getting power to the red ACC wire.
What year and type vehicle is it. Some newer vehicles do not have
A ACC wire and need a speacial wire harness adapter to work (mostly GM's)

I've seen some (mostly VWs, I think) that don't have an ACC feed at all,
you have to tap into the IGNition for switched power.

It is a VW, it's a 97 Jetta. I will check on the wire first thing in the
morning. However, wouldn't it stand to reason that if the other unit was
working in the VW, shouldn't this one too? Thanks for all the great
replies.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Scotty Scotty is offline

e-nigma wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

In my 92 jeep i had to hard wire everything, i put the acc with the
power and it works great... maybe u can try that

Posted to rec.audio.car
Scott[_2_] Scott[_2_] is offline

e-nigma wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
I recently got a new (used) car and moved my older Aiwa cdc-x504mp to
my new car because of it's ability to play mp3s. Anyway, it will not
work now. It will eject a disc so I know it's getting power, but it will
not play and the display does not light up. Could this be because of an
anti theft device within the radio? Just to make sure it wasn't the
car, I moved the old radio back into the car and it works fine. Any
help is appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Sounds like you may not be getting power to the red ACC wire.
What year and type vehicle is it. Some newer vehicles do not have
A ACC wire and need a speacial wire harness adapter to work (mostly GM's)

I've seen some (mostly VWs, I think) that don't have an ACC feed at all,
you have to tap into the IGNition for switched power.

I checked this morning and there is a red wire there, however it is not in
the same location as it is with my other car. On the plug (pardon my
ignorance for not knowing the proper term), the yellow wire is in the corner
then the red, with the black (ground) under that. On the new car the black
and red are reversed.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

e-nigma wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I'd say simply swap the wires, but if they're wrong now, that could be
even more wrong. Best to get in there with a multimeter and check it out.

Actually, if the ACC line was hooked up to the ground wire on the deck,
it's quite possible you've blown the fuse (check the fuse block for the
"Radio" fuse), and you'll have to replace that as well.

Dumb question but no where else to go buck Car Audio 4 November 15th 04 08:40 PM
Cat TV/DVD dumb question Tha Ghee Car Audio 0 January 15th 04 07:38 AM
Dumb Question? Onyi C. Ejiasa Car Audio 1 August 25th 03 09:41 PM
Dumb question Bill Ruys Pro Audio 14 July 28th 03 03:38 PM
another dumb question... SeaN Car Audio 6 July 14th 03 11:56 PM