Sean

Default TJ won't start w/viper alarm

I have a 98 Jeep TJ Sport in which I had a Viper 300 ESP (+ field
sensor 508d) installed a couple of years ago. Everything was working
fine up until a couple of weeks ago when I was unable to start the
jeep after trying to deactivate the alarm. No combinations of buttons
on the alarm/valet switch appeared to work. Eventually it worked, but
I had to disconnect the battery and wait about 10 minutes.

I'm in a similar situation now where the jeep won't start but the
battery disconnect isn't working. When I put the key in the ignition
and turn to ON, the dash lights come on. When I turn to START,
nothing happens. Any further attempts to turn the key to ON result in
no dash lights at all. I have to disconnect the battery again, wait,
and then the dash lights will turn on. I still can't get it started.

I've gone under the dash and unplugged everything that went into the
alarm, all it is doing now is hanging on to some taped wires. Nothing
is connected to it. This didn't seem to do the trick either, although
I didn't wait much time after I unplugged before I tried to start.
(The Jeep is stuck in a mall parking lot and I have to get a ride out
there).

Is there anything else I can do here to get it started?

Thanks
DougW

Sean did pass the time by typing:
[...]

It won't start when unpluged as the ignition wires run
through the viper unit. What good would it be if a thief
just had to unplug the unit?

Don't know how they wired your unit so there is little I can suggest
apart from contacting the place that did the install. It could be a
blown fuse in the viper (check the power runs for in-line fuses or
the case for a fuse symbol).

Long story short, you need to get back in touch with the installer
or find the installation instructions and reverse the install.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

On 15 Nov 2003 09:42:37 -0800, (Sean) wrote:

[...]

i once had the same problem on my z28 ... The problem ended up being
the starter kill. I had to push a seceret button the installer made
under my dash to make the thing start again. So contacting your
installer is probbly the best solution.

Sean

Thanks for the replies.

I got it figured out. Plugging the control unit out was a
recommendation from the shop, one that didn't pan out. It took well
over 30 minutes to get to the unit and unclip ALL the zip ties that
made it impossible to plug even one of the wires from the unit. If
you ever want a quality job done on installation in the Boston area,
check out Parkway Sound in Everett. I can't speak of the actuall
alarm (Viper 300 ESP) but those guys tied up every single thing they
could have.

I went to the directed website and downloaded the installation manual.
It looked like I had two problems: getting power to the jeep and
then starting it. I was only ever able to get power from the battery
by unplugging both the ground and the power cable and letting the jeep
sit for 10 minutes. The battery was just fine, a clean 12-13 volts.

With power solved I just had to get the ignition to power the starter.
Based on the manual I saw that there was a starter-kill relay
attached to the alarm control unit. I checked out the ignition line
on the jeep and saw that it was split with a green and black line
going into the relay. I tried the short the green and black together
with no luck so I just pulled them both out and rejoined the jeep
ignition line. The jeep started right up.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote in message ...
You need a battery.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Sean wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

Tha's one way to fix it, but now your started kill isn't working so someone
could break in and drive away with the alarm going off. I'd have the relay
replaced asap.

Paul Vina

om...

Sean wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

But of the realy is stuck open it won't matter of you put it in valet since
the relay contact isn't moving. What he did was the only way to get it
started again. He should get the relay replaced though. It should be
covered by the shop's labor warranty.

Paul Vina