Lysle Huber

Default EQUALIZERS BECOMMING EXTINCT?

I went to Alpine's website to look for an EQ to replace the 3321(I once
had). The 3321 had the slide controls and subwoofer switch on the front. I
like this EQ due to the ease of adjusting sound and the 1/2 DIN size. Alpine
appeared not to have any of this type of EQ any more. I have noticed some
stores selling the ERG-180 but I have heard it is being discontinued (and it
is not on Alpine's website). I have seen Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood carry
similar ones like the Alpine but I am not sure about the quality of these. I
did have a DEQ 7600 by Pioneer but sold as it wouldn't fit in my new vehicle
along with my head unit.

Are these types of EQs still worth getting or is the trend going to be for
more elaborate processors?

Happy Guy

"Lysle Huber" wrote in message
.. .
I went to Alpine's website to look for an EQ to replace the 3321(I once
had). The 3321 had the slide controls and subwoofer switch on the front. I
like this EQ due to the ease of adjusting sound and the 1/2 DIN size.

Alpine
appeared not to have any of this type of EQ any more. I have noticed some
stores selling the ERG-180 but I have heard it is being discontinued (and

it
is not on Alpine's website). I have seen Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood carry
similar ones like the Alpine but I am not sure about the quality of these.

did have a DEQ 7600 by Pioneer but sold as it wouldn't fit in my new

vehicle
along with my head unit.

Are these types of EQs still worth getting or is the trend going to be for
more elaborate processors?

I also had a 3321. It was really a great unit and hard to replace with any
other product.
Alpine replaced it with the 3322 which had a rotary dial instead of the
slider for sub xover freq
I still have mine and may still use it in a future project.

Check eBay for used models if you really liked it.

jp

Lower end ???? I don't know what brand your talking about, but if Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc...HU's are low end quality, I don't know what in the hell you use.....
"John Durbin" wrote in message .. .
which is too bad, because many of the outboard EQ's sound a helluva lot better than the cheesy digital EQ built into lower end and mid-level HU's these days.

JD

"Happy Guy" wrote in message
[...]

jp

Ok dude, so explain why they are in extinction ?????????? DUDE??????????
"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message . ca...
all those brands make cheesy, low end models dude...so back down. he's right. an audiocontrol EQ will have 100 times more control over the sound than the digital p.o.s. built into pretty well any head unit.

you need to get into a rockford symmetry type system to get digital processing thats any good...believe Pioneer has a Premier piece thats of similar nature...

we don't go THAT far very often where i'm at, so I'm not too familiar with the products in that arena.

Hamilton Audio
Car Audio, Security and Performance

"Happy Guy" wrote in message
[...]

John Durbin

path of least resistance, end users with little or no experience, you
name it ...

It's not that you can't have good processing in a HU, it's just that
you don't typically get it until you're way up at the top end of most
brands' product line. Good DSP costs money just like good analog
processing does - cheap chip sets = mediocre performance, where ease of
use becomes the dominant characteristic and SQ suffers.

JD

wrote in message
Lower end ???? I don't know what brand your talking about, but
if Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc...HU's are low end quality, I
don't know what in the hell you use.....

"John Durbin"
.. .

"Happy Guy" wrote in message

m...