Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Spam Causes MicroSoft To Kill Newsgroups

On 2010-05-06 said:
"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
I have been tempted to set up my own news server several times.
There's a pretty simple set of rules that can be applied to keep

the crap out.
1. Limited to newsgroups that I actually participate in, to make
it easier for me to moderate.
2. Must be a registered user to post. Since I'd have to add users
by hand, it would definetly be a small set of people posting
throught my server. 3. All messages with binary content will be
dropped. 4. Same for cross-posted messages.
5. Same for messages with headers matching known spammers or
trolls. 6. Same for messages from google groups. Maybe I could
figure out a reliable way to add exceptions for known quality
posters - if google adds something to the headers to uniquely
identify the poster that's outside of their control.
So it'd have a killfile and filters enforced on the server side,
but still part of the usernet. All of the usenet goodness, but

without the garbage.
I applaud your ambition. You could keep bad clients off your user
base, but filtering the feeds might be more work than it's worth.
But still, if you started a movement, it would be back to the
usenet of the old, with responsible sysops keeping it clean. It
would be like going back to the era when usenet was carried on
Arpanet via 1200 baud modems, but with all the advantages of high
speed internet.

SOme still operate that way. My other access to this group
operates in much the way SEan describes.

We forget that there are many reasons to keep usenet,
fidonet and other such services operating as they are.
Plaintext is the only way to go for band limited channels.

WHo might use band limited channels? FOlks in third world
countries using regular public switched copper twisted pair
phone lines, folks using radio, even folks using some
satellite technologies as demand increases.
FIdonet with its compressed bundles of messages and
articles, with its robust transfer protocol kept me
connected with my favorite usenet groups and some email even
when my phone line was so damned poor last fall that my
connection would bomb out. IF it bombed out using my
fidonet feed (where I also post to this group quite often)
if the connection bombed, it saved the bundle where it was,
and next time I connected resumed transfer at that point,
instead of grabbing from square one. Good ol' zmodem with
fault recovery.

Regards,

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
Remote audio in the Memphis, Tn. area: see
www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , wrote:

WHo might use band limited channels? FOlks in third world
countries using regular public switched copper twisted pair
phone lines, folks using radio, even folks using some
satellite technologies as demand increases.

What about people spending their whole summer at music festivals in the
middle of nowhere with limited connectivity?

The panix shell account has absolutely marvelous; I'd never be able to get
anything done without it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Scott Dorsey writes:

I wrote:

WHo might use band limited channels? FOlks in third world
countries using regular public switched copper twisted pair
phone lines, folks using radio, even folks using some
satellite technologies as demand increases.

What about people spending their whole summer at music festivals in
the middle of nowhere with limited connectivity?

YEp, there too! CAmpers, boaters, etc.

A friend of mine who works offshore says he uses sailmail
and winlink via hf radio channels in preference to the bird, because he can get his mail, wehreas with the bird on the
pitching deck he has a problem keeping the dish aimed at the bird.

The panix shell account has absolutely marvelous; I'd never be able
to get anything done without it.

I still intend to call those folks and set one of those up
g.

Regards,
Richard
--- timEd 1.10.y2k+

REmote audio in the Memphis, Tn. area: see www.gatasound.com

* Origin: (1:116/901)
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site

Spam Causes MicroSoft To Kill Newsgroups stv Pro Audio 7 May 16th 10 10:47 PM
Newsgroups diminishing Dead Nuts Vacuum Tubes 9 September 9th 09 02:40 PM
newsgroups will die.... yes Pro Audio 22 March 23rd 08 02:31 PM
MP3 Player Newsgroups Patrick Audio Opinions 1 October 7th 03 12:43 PM