Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default intercom systems for remote truck

HI folks,

I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.

CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. I've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.

I note in a recent thread all sorts of interesting things
going on with RTS, ifb capabilities, all sorts of good
stuff. Just curious what's out there and whether it would
be really something to think about budgeting for in the near
future for an upgrade.

STill analog front end in the rig, so traditional analog
connections preferred instead of having to do all the
patching with a gui and a mouse. BUt some capabilities I"d
like to add to an intercom in future a

seamless transition from two-way radios to hard wired comms
once we're up and operational.

Failing an upgrade can my older RTS system interface with
newer flavors seamlessly?
sHould I just bite the bullet and switch to clearcomm?

Don't really need ifb and other program feed capabilities
over intercom as I can always use a distribution amp and an
aux or something similar if needed.

Suggestions of systems to look at and ball park U.S. dollar
figures? U.S. sources that deal walk in or over the phone
also appreciated g.

Bedfore you ask, my two channels of RTS meet any needs I've
had so far, but I've just got this rig in a position where
it can actually go to work, three mechanics and lots of
hassle later g.

THanks,

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 26, 8:49*pm, wrote:
[...]

The older RTS should integrate seamlessly. I would invest in a good
RTS to Clearcom interface. That is where your major problems will come
up. I'd call Clearcom directly and ask them which interface to get
(they might even make one). Talk to Mark. He's a wealth of information
and has been there as long as I can remember. They're in Alameda now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Apr 26, 11:49 pm, wrote:
HI folks,

I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.

CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. I've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.

Sounds like a simple 2 wire party line system.

I note in a recent thread all sorts of interesting things
going on with RTS, ifb capabilities, all sorts of good
stuff. Just curious what's out there and whether it would
be really something to think about budgeting for in the near
future for an upgrade.

STill analog front end in the rig, so traditional analog
connections preferred instead of having to do all the
patching with a gui and a mouse. BUt some capabilities I"d
like to add to an intercom in future a

seamless transition from two-way radios to hard wired comms
once we're up and operational.

It is easy enough to integrate a RF/wireless basestation and RF
beltpacks into an existing hardline system. Just takes a cable.
Actual radios can be done too I think, with the right interfaces.

Failing an upgrade can my older RTS system interface with
newer flavors seamlessly?
sHould I just bite the bullet and switch to clearcomm?

Call Telex/RTS and tell them what you want to do. For TV trucks
and studios, what is often typical is an ADAM mainframe system for
studio/truck and remote communications, and there is an interface that
connects to the party line 2 wire systems on the floor, such as you
have. The interface provides the conversion between the 2 and 4 wire
systems (party line systems are 2 wire) and supplies power for the
beltpacks. Phone interfaces are incorporated through the ADAM matrix,
and you build the IFB's in software.

But unless you are actually going to book as a full blown video
production truck, probably adding wireless beltpacks to your existing
system makes better financial sense. If you do a location TV
production gig, they can hook you into their truck's ADAM system easy
enough.

Don't really need ifb and other program feed capabilities
over intercom as I can always use a distribution amp and an
aux or something similar if needed.

Well - IFB's are a bit tricky if you want a producer to be able
to listen on an intercom key to talent. You have to set up a listen
key source (the talent's mic or an incoming remote location feed), a
destination (the talent's ifb unit, or the phone going back to the
remote,) and what you are sending to that destination (a program feed
or somekind for the the talent's ifb, or a mix minus for a remote
location.) And the intercom has to actually interupt the program
going to talent when you hit the intercom key, or it can be hard for
talent to hear what you are saying.

Suggestions of systems to look at and ball park U.S. dollar
figures? U.S. sources that deal walk in or over the phone
also appreciated g.

Bedfore you ask, my two channels of RTS meet any needs I've
had so far, but I've just got this rig in a position where
it can actually go to work, three mechanics and lots of
hassle later g.

Not cheap stuff. Try Full Compass or Dale Pro Audio.

Will Miho
NY TV /Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.

CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. I've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.

I note in a recent thread all sorts of interesting things
going on with RTS, ifb capabilities, all sorts of good
stuff. Just curious what's out there and whether it would
be really something to think about budgeting for in the near
future for an upgrade.

An upgrade to a newer RTS system? Maybe, if you need any of the
additional capabilities. But one of the nice thing about the Telex
system is that you can mix new and old stuff together without any problem.

STill analog front end in the rig, so traditional analog
connections preferred instead of having to do all the
patching with a gui and a mouse. BUt some capabilities I"d
like to add to an intercom in future a

seamless transition from two-way radios to hard wired comms
once we're up and operational.

Unfortunately nothing connecting simplex radio links to duplex wired
intercom systems is seamless, but there is a simple box you can get that
will do the job with your current system. One stuck mike can cause real
distruption, though.

Failing an upgrade can my older RTS system interface with
newer flavors seamlessly?

Yes.

Should I just bite the bullet and switch to clearcomm?

No, the Telex system is generally very superior as far as noise rejection
goes... the lines are all balanced and you don't have any of the noise issues
that you get with Clearcomms. It's more expensive than Clearcomm, though.

Suggestions of systems to look at and ball park U.S. dollar
figures? U.S. sources that deal walk in or over the phone
also appreciated g.

Bedfore you ask, my two channels of RTS meet any needs I've
had so far, but I've just got this rig in a position where
it can actually go to work, three mechanics and lots of
hassle later g.

I would, however, get a Telex-to-Clearcomm interface box, because sooner
or later you're going to be at an event where the video guys are using
clearcomm and you're going to have to talk to them.

There are still a couple people out there using old Western Electric systems,
believe it or not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

HI WIll, was hoping you'd chime in here.
On 2009-04-26 said:
I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.
CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. I've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.

Sounds like a simple 2 wire party line system.

Yup.

I note in a recent thread all sorts of interesting things
going on with RTS, ifb capabilities, all sorts of good
stuff. Just curious what's out there and whether it would
be really something to think about budgeting for in the near
future for an upgrade.
STill analog front end in the rig, so traditional analog
connections preferred instead of having to do all the
patching with a gui and a mouse. BUt some capabilities I"d
like to add to an intercom in future a
seamless transition from two-way radios to hard wired comms
once we're up and operational.

It is easy enough to integrate a RF/wireless basestation and RF
beltpacks into an existing hardline system. Just takes a cable.
Actual radios can be done too I think, with the right interfaces.

YEp, doesn't look hard were I to roll my own.

Failing an upgrade can my older RTS system interface with
newer flavors seamlessly?
sHould I just bite the bullet and switch to clearcomm?

Call Telex/RTS and tell them what you want to do. For TV trucks
and studios, what is often typical is an ADAM mainframe system for
studio/truck and remote communications, and there is an interface
that connects to the party line 2 wire systems on the floor, such
as you have. The interface provides the conversion between the 2
and 4 wire systems (party line systems are 2 wire) and supplies
power for the beltpacks. Phone interfaces are incorporated through
the ADAM matrix, and you build the IFB's in software.

WILl have to do that, thanks!

But unless you are actually going to book as a full blown video
production truck, probably adding wireless beltpacks to your
existing system makes better financial sense. If you do a location
TV production gig, they can hook you into their truck's ADAM system
easy enough.

THat's what I figure, since we're audio only. HOWever, I"ve
got a local video production outfit that would like to
operate out of my truck as well, so looking at what's going
to be needed, as if we work with him this is going to
complicate our comms needs even further.

snip

Well - IFB's are a bit tricky if you want a producer to be able
to listen on an intercom key to talent. You have to set up a listen
key source (the talent's mic or an incoming remote location feed), a
destination (the talent's ifb unit, or the phone going back to the
remote,) and what you are sending to that destination (a program
feed or somekind for the the talent's ifb, or a mix minus for a
remote location.) And the intercom has to actually interupt the
program going to talent when you hit the intercom key, or it can be
hard for talent to hear what you are saying.

YEp, have worked with that a bit years ago, but would think
if there's a need we'd be working with a video truck as well
g.

Suggestions of systems to look at and ball park U.S. dollar
figures? U.S. sources that deal walk in or over the phone
also appreciated g.
Before you ask, my two channels of RTS meet any needs I've
had so far, but I've just got this rig in a position where
it can actually go to work, three mechanics and lots of
hassle later g.

Not cheap stuff. Try Full Compass or Dale Pro Audio.

Thanks for the pointers. LEast we know we can still
interface with more modern iterations when need arises.
Thanks again.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On 2009-04-26 said:
I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.
CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. ÿI've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.

snippage

The older RTS should integrate seamlessly. I would invest in a good
RTS to Clearcom interface. That is where your major problems will
come up. I'd call Clearcom directly and ask them which interface to
get (they might even make one). Talk to Mark. He's a wealth of
information and has been there as long as I can remember. They're
in Alameda now.

Thanks, was thinking of doing the build on one from scratch,
saw a couple of pointers to circuits to roll my own for such
an animal. WIll compare costs of doing the bench work etc.
myself and see what they have to say. Thanks!

Thing is, if the gear doesn't work and you built it, that reflects
more on your company then if something Telex built fails (RTS is part
of Telex now). Then you just blame the POS that the folks at Telex
sent you, and since everyone you work with uses the same gear they
sympathize. Industry standards are more expensive, but that's in a
way the price you pay for CYA - sometimes a good business strategy.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2009-04-27 (ScottDorsey) said:
Hoped you'd weigh in on this as well g.
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
I'm fairly familiar with clearcomm as I've worked with it.
CUrrently my remote truck is wired for two channels of
intercom which come out of the i/o panel as xlr male. I've
two channels of RTS, older model, quite a bit older in fact.
I note in a recent thread all sorts of interesting things
going on with RTS, ifb capabilities, all sorts of good
stuff. Just curious what's out there and whether it would
be really something to think about budgeting for in the near
future for an upgrade.

An upgrade to a newer RTS system? Maybe, if you need any of the
additional capabilities. But one of the nice thing about the Telex
system is that you can mix new and old stuff together without any
problem.

WHich negates the need for an upgrade of existing rts a bit,
which is helpful.

seamless transition from two-way radios to hard wired comms
once we're up and operational.

Unfortunately nothing connecting simplex radio links to duplex wired
intercom systems is seamless, but there is a simple box you can get
that will do the job with your current system. One stuck mike can
cause real distruption, though.

YEp, always. IN fact, I had that problem the other day
working a walk-a-thon with local hams. THere's one old guy
that every time he shows up at one of these things we have
the "stuck mic" problem. I almost cringe when he's on the
list of volunteers and I'm supposed to be net control
grin.

reason I'd like radio link possibility is that my rover can
stay a rover a bit longer and communicate with us on the
circuitfor a bit. ONce I can put him on the wire it's
goodbye radio, until needed again. Seamless change over
might be real handy without me having to remember to grab
the two-way radio in the heat of battle g.

Should I just bite the bullet and switch to clearcomm?

No, the Telex system is generally very superior as far as noise
rejection goes... the lines are all balanced and you don't have any
of the noise issues that you get with Clearcomms. It's more
expensive than Clearcomm, though.

I've a clearcom compatible telephone handset around, but an
interface is in my future g.

There are still a couple people out there using old Western
Electric systems, believe it or not.

wOw! I guess it shouldn't surprise me.
THought I saw some months ago a link to homebrew rts to
clearcom interface, but think I was mistaken. GUess a call
to Alameda Ca. is in my near future g.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2009-04-27 said:
[...]

YEp, and that has to be factored into the price. I'll
acquire a regular clearcom station as well though, whatever
I do. There are times that I won't want or need to hear
everything that's on the clearcom. GOod example is
recording etc. of a performance, the sr and lighting with
other crew folks can get pretty chatty I've noted over the
years. "I've heard more than once the old "check out the
chick in the third row with the halter top and all the tits
.... " and such banter.

intercom, phone style Pro Audio 5 August 9th 06 06:31 PM
Essential MIc locker for remote truck [email protected] Pro Audio 22 July 12th 06 08:23 PM
remote truck or trailer [email protected] Pro Audio 13 July 6th 06 07:20 PM
remote truck or trailer [email protected] Pro Audio 0 July 6th 06 01:12 AM
intercom project Brandon Anderson Pro Audio 20 June 12th 04 03:50 AM