Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Superhet Superhet is offline

Default 5AR4 ID

I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

"Superhet" wrote in message
I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.

It looks very Russian to me, perhaps a Russian 5V4?

Does it have the "flying saucer" getter(s)?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Superhet Superhet is offline

Yes it does. I really doubted it was from Germany and don't trust RS to
really know where it was made. I guess I'll check it out in a test rig
for a while before using it in an amp. Thanks.

maxhifi wrote:
"Superhet" wrote in message
I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.

It looks very Russian to me, perhaps a Russian 5V4?

Does it have the "flying saucer" getter(s)?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

Most of Radio Shacks tubes were re-branded in Korea, dont know about
this one though.

Superhet wrote:
I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

I've got a pair of RS EL34's which are Mullard xf2's. Your 5ar4 may be
a vintage German or British tube. Is a link from here possible for the
picture?

Bob H.

maxhifi wrote:
"Superhet" wrote in message
I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.

It looks very Russian to me, perhaps a Russian 5V4?

Does it have the "flying saucer" getter(s)?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Superhet Superhet is offline

I think this one is not the real deal
http://home.nycap.rr.com/zenithradio/5ar4.JPG
I did a test of a few of these I have using a 680vac supply and a 4.6K
230 watt resistor load( about a 100 ma draw) and this tube came up 20v
short from other 5AR4 types including NOS GE and NOS Mullard and used as
well as NOS Sovtek.

maxhifi wrote:
"Superhet" wrote in message
I put a picture of this tube on alt.binaries.pictures.radio. Does anyone
know who made this tube. It was from Radio Shack.
It looks very Russian to me, perhaps a Russian 5V4?

Does it have the "flying saucer" getter(s)?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

"Superhet" wrote in message
Yes it does. I really doubted it was from Germany and don't trust RS to
really know where it was made. I guess I'll check it out in a test rig for
a while before using it in an amp. Thanks.

Ned Carlson recently answered another post, explaining that this was a
method of avoiding cold war taxes. I have a russian 80 which looks similar -
strange to see a cathode type 80.

I think that tube is just fine - only don't use it to full GZ34 ratings -
pretend it's a 5V4 (which it is) and all will be well

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Superhet wrote:
I think this one is not the real deal
http://home.nycap.rr.com/zenithradio/5ar4.JPG
I did a test of a few of these I have using a 680vac supply and a 4.6K
230 watt resistor load( about a 100 ma draw) and this tube came up 20v
short from other 5AR4 types including NOS GE and NOS Mullard and used as
well as NOS Sovtek.

It doesn't look like any of my 5AR4's. This consists of Amperex,
Mullard, Sovtek, new and old stock Chinese, Japanese, U.S.
The only one which has a dome top is my JJ. It looks like a
Slovac/Russian tube, probably old stock. Of course, who knows what
came out of East Germany?
I have an old stock Chinese 5ar4 which is actually a great tube, and it
has a flattened top as well and have no other similarities except for
the cheesy base.
The base looks chinese or russian/slovac. The envelope is not straight
in the base, which I don't usually see on German tubes (it doesn't mean
it doesn't happen, just that it's not usual).
None of my 5ar4's have the side mica guides, either.

The innards may be from another rectifier type, re-pinned for this
tube, which may explain the different specs.

If they survive and work, and the voltage drop isn't too much of a
proble, enjoy. I still use that old Chinese 5ar4 as a bench tube,
because it's reliable.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
TweedGuy TweedGuy is offline

"Bob H." wrote in message
ps.com...

Superhet wrote:
[...]

I've got a bunch of these and they are real cheap 4 pin subs for a GZ34. I
use them in 5Y3 applications since that's all they really can handle. Bought
in Russia, made all over the world according to their stencils. Definately
3rd string players.

John

Question on RCA 5AR4 Dave Vacuum Tubes 5 July 3rd 06 05:48 AM
Sovtek 5AR4: damaged or just crappy? [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 25 December 17th 05 04:55 PM
--FA nr Tubes & transformers , 5ar4 , tele 12ax ,& more--FA nr Tubes &transformers , 5ar4 , tele 12ax ,& more--FA nr Tubes & transformers ,5ar4 , tele 12ax ,& more GKB Marketplace 0 January 4th 04 01:07 AM
--FA nr Tubes & transformers , 5ar4 , tele 12ax ,& more GKB Marketplace 0 January 4th 04 01:03 AM
--FA nr Tubes & transformers , 5ar4 , tele 12ax ,& more GKB Marketplace 0 December 29th 03 01:39 AM