Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

What's the 741 doing btw ?

Don't have the slightest idea, reading schematics is like Greek to me.
Though it's there and there is only one. Perhaps something to do with the
mono switch?

If you have the schematics - can you scan them ( master section a tleast )
and post in alt.binaries.schematics.electronics ?

I'll take a look. Would be able to advise better.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

I don't have a scanner, got a fax machine?

Yup.

My bad to post it here but here goes ( dial international access ) ( then UK
code - 44 ) followed by 1727 then 765452.

Plain paper fax btw. Only understands A4 ( international ) paper size - not some
of the funny US sizes. Try one page first to see how it goes.

Graham

Matt Macchiarolo

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

I don't have a scanner, got a fax machine?

Yup.

Fax is transmitting. I won't give out your fax number. :-)

741 is in section A-4 of the lower schematic (Left Bus).

Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

I don't have a scanner, got a fax machine?

Yup.

Fax is transmitting. I won't give out your fax number. :-)

741 is in section A-4 of the lower schematic (Left Bus).

Ok - got it.

Is that the size you got it ? A bit on the tiny side. Having trouble
reading it.

The good news is that the 741 clearly isn't in the audio path ( as I
suspected ).

I'm having trouble reading the U numbers but the ICs for the bus amps are
the ones ( one on each page ) that are on the top left hand corner - note
the connections to BUS GND and a 10UH inductor. Looks like one half of
the dual op-amp is the bus amp - the other half is the fader buffer -
pretty classic.

If *anything* is going to make a difference - it's them !

The resistor values around the bus amps aren't *too* bad regarding
thermal noise but I would use lower. But that's a re-design.

Graham

Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks Pooh! Next time I'm in the UK I will buy you a pint of Greene King!
Until then I will raise a glass of Old Speckled Hen to you!

Both schematics are on one page, 8.5x11...fairly tiny.

Those op amps are U1A and U1B, a=left b=right. . Those are the summing amps,
correct? You don't think the U5's (section D-4) could be a factor? All those
are 5532's. The manual includes a PCB diagram so I can find those pretty
easily.

If you were to replace those resistors, what would you recommend?

And what does that 741 do?
"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

[...]

Eric K. Weber

Is this noise the same on both channels.... if so it's more likely either a
power supply issue or a design issue.

Rgds:
Eric

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

It's just the master faders. No channel faders are up.

Ok - sounds like noisy bus amps.

Most likely a / some 5532s. There's going to be some circuitry following

them
though that could also be influencing things.

If you can identify the op-amp that's the bus mix section - then selective
replacement as a test would make sense.

I guess it's possible a chip's gone noisy - but it's rare. Maybe the

Peavey guys
know something they're not letting on about ?

Graham

Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Thanks Pooh! Next time I'm in the UK I will buy you a pint of Greene King!
Until then I will raise a glass of Old Speckled Hen to you!

Cheers then !

Both schematics are on one page, 8.5x11...fairly tiny.

Those op amps are U1A and U1B, a=left b=right. . Those are the summing amps,
correct?

Ok - wondered if that might be so.

You don't think the U5's (section D-4) could be a factor? All those
are 5532's. The manual includes a PCB diagram so I can find those pretty
easily.

The other op-amps operate at high signal levels so the noise contribution there
won't be an issue.

No need to replace.

If you were to replace those resistors, what would you recommend?

Well, I'd most likely use something like 4k7 feedback Rs in place of 22k. You
can't do that without altering the channel values though or the gain structure
gets screwed.

And what does that 741 do?

Given the quality of the fax it's tricky to say. Is there a peak led there
though. Maybe that's it ?

TI's part number for the DIL 5532 is NE5532AP btw.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...t/ne5532a.html - log in as a tech and
request samples !

Philips / Signetics have stopped making it. NJR / JRC ( New Japan Radio
Corporation ) also source it.

Graham

Matt Macchiarolo

Those op amps are U1A and U1B, a=left b=right. . Those are the summing
amps,
correct?

Ok - wondered if that might be so.

According to the signal path diagram, they correspond to the summing amps.

You don't think the U5's (section D-4) could be a factor? All those
are 5532's. The manual includes a PCB diagram so I can find those pretty
easily.

The other op-amps operate at high signal levels so the noise contribution

there
won't be an issue.

No need to replace.

If you were to replace those resistors, what would you recommend?

Well, I'd most likely use something like 4k7 feedback Rs in place of 22k.

You
can't do that without altering the channel values though or the gain

structure
gets screwed.

Gotcha.

And what does that 741 do?

Given the quality of the fax it's tricky to say. Is there a peak led there
though. Maybe that's it ?

Ah yes, that makes sense to be the signal/peak LED circuit, it uses a
bicolor LED that is green with signal and red when within 3dB of clipping,
according to the manual...

When I get a chance I'll swap out those 5532's and we'll see what
happens...thanks for all your help!!

Scott Dorsey

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

The resistor values around the bus amps aren't *too* bad regarding
thermal noise but I would use lower. But that's a re-design.

Might be a good idea to measure them and see that they are still the values
that the schematic says they should be. That's a possible noise source...
not so common with modern film resistors but it happens.

Eric K. Weber

It should scale to A4 with no problem.... and if he is calling from the
USA.. it's

011 44 1727 765452

011 international prefix...
44 UK country code....

Rgds:
Eric

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

I don't have a scanner, got a fax machine?

Yup.

My bad to post it here but here goes ( dial international access ) ( then

UK
code - 44 ) followed by 1727 then 765452.

Plain paper fax btw. Only understands A4 ( international ) paper size -

not some
of the funny US sizes. Try one page first to see how it goes.

Graham

Pooh Bear

"Eric K. Weber" wrote:

It should scale to A4 with no problem.... and if he is calling from the
USA.. it's

Ssssh ! It's a secret !

Yeah, it came through OK.

Had some past trouble with the 'legal' size paper though.

Pretty much all paper sizes here ( and rest of world ) are now international
standards. Just the USA goes its own way with the stuff you enherited from us
Brits mainly I think - lol.

Graham

Matt Macchiarolo

Well I just pulled the master module and it looks like it has been modded..
the 5532 in question seems to have been replaced with an LT1358, and some of
the others were replaced with TLE2082's, along with some other components
that were added. This console had 5 input channels modified by Audio
Upgrades, it looks as if the master module has been modified as well...looks
like I'll be calling Jim again.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Matt

"Matt Macchiarolo" wrote in message
[...]

Phil Allison

"Matt Macchiarolo"
For you op-amp experts I need some advice...

Just got a new (old) mixing console, Peavey/AMR 2400, and there is a
noticeable level of noise in the master module when I pull up the faders,
even though there is no signal from any of the channels.

** Bet you have selected every mic channel simultaneously - right ?

Bet you have the monitor speakers next to your ears in a quiet room -
right ?

Bet you have a monitor amp with less than 1 volt input sensitivity -
right ?

Do I sound just a bit cynical ?????

Yep - cos I just spent hours, at the owners insistence, removing a faint
buzzing noise from a studio monitor amp that ONLY EXISTED when the input was
open circuit !!!!!

................. Phil

Phil Allison

"Matt Macchiarolo"

"Phil Allison"

Just got a new (old) mixing console, Peavey/AMR 2400, and there is a
noticeable level of noise in the master module when I pull up the

faders, even though there is no signal from any of the channels.

** Bet you have selected every mic channel simultaneously - right ?

Bet you have the monitor speakers next to your ears in a quiet
room - right ?

Bet you have a monitor amp with less than 1 volt input
sensitivity - right ?

No, no and no.

** So you selected no mic channels at all ???

Have the speakers miles away in a noisy room ????

Have an amp with more than 1 volt sensitivity ?????

See the rest of this thread.

** The answers to my simple questions are not there.

.............. Phil

Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

No, no and no. See the rest of this thread.

Don't bother abour Phil, he's our resident rodent / troll.

He loves to jump to conclusions based on everyone else being stupider than him
!

Some actually *are* but not many.

Regds, Graham

Phil Allison

"Matt Macchiarolo"

Well I just pulled the master module and it looks like it has been
modded..
the 5532 in question seems to have been replaced with an LT1358, and some
of
the others were replaced with TLE2082's, along with some other components
that were added.

** The LT1358 and TLE2082 are not low noise ICs - they are high speed
ones.

Some audiophool "gong beater" has been let loose at the desk.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear"

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

No, no and no. See the rest of this thread.

Don't bother abour Phil, he's our resident rodent / troll.

** Says a pathetic pommy ****** who *failed to ask* the basic questions and
so wasted a lot of ASCII.

He loves to jump to conclusions based on everyone else being stupider than
him

** See above - the Pooh Brain just proved that assumption was good again.

.............. Phil

Pooh Bear

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Well I just pulled the master module and it looks like it has been modded..
the 5532 in question seems to have been replaced with an LT1358, and some of
the others were replaced with TLE2082's, along with some other components
that were added. This console had 5 input channels modified by Audio
Upgrades, it looks as if the master module has been modified as well...looks
like I'll be calling Jim again.

Ok - I pulled up the spec sheet for the LT1358.

It's a kind of 'esoteric' device.

http://www.linear.com.cn/prod/datash...l?datasheet=83

I wouldn't put it in an audio path without careful evaluation.

Suggest you replace parts with originals ! They probably worked fine !

Then it might sound better.

Idiots who do unsubstantiated 'upgrades' should be shot. I believe you have
access to guns in the USA ? Just joking !

Graahm