Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default mac daw users, what software do you use?

i'm thinking about buying a prism orpheus. it would replace my tango
24 converters, m audio profire lightbridge interface, alesis rack
monitor mixer and mackie big knob monitor controller. in addition to
being all in one, the converter quality is supposed to be top tier.
so it's an enticing move.

BUT...

i'll have to give up pro tools. i use pro tools mpowered now. I like
pro tools, I'm pretty good with it and i'm comfortable. i don't do
much fancy production. I use it as a tape machine and a mixer. i
record live instruments, very occasionally overdub, do my edits,
slicing, fades, etc... and then automate a mix using a fader surface.
then bounce to disk and use peak to normalize and burn discs. voila,
done.

so for that type of workflow, what software should i be looking at?
i'm on mac 10.4.11 G4 processor and cannot upgrade to 10.5 without
getting a computer. which is not out of the question, but i'd like to
avoid it at least for now. It seems my options are logic, digital
performer and cubase. i don't have any experience with any of them
and need to try to get some hands on one way or the other. do they
offer demos? i looked at apple's site for logic and didn't see a demo
version anywhere.

the reason i like pro tools is because it makes sense in terms of the
mixer window and the edit window. it really feels like a tape machine
and inline console, so i'm comfortable. i want that feel on something
i can use with the orpheus.

The orpheus does have an adat direct mode, but you lose the mixer
functionality of it. which means i would still need my big knob,
alesis mixer and maudio interface. at that point i'm spending $5k for
converters (albeit very good ones). If i go that route (and thus get
to stay with pro tools) then I might also consider just getting a
mytek ad/da (around $4k) or lynx aurora (around $2500 with the adat
card). but, like i said the appeal of the orpheus is the all in one
idea.

so any input is greatly appreciated.

Nate
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Nate Najar wrote:

[...]

Post this into DAW-Mac.

Rickymix took that suggestion and is now figured out.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar