Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Default Onyx 800R DB25 Cables.

Hey guys;

I have an 800R in bound. I am looking at making a cable to do the DB25 --
8 1/4" Balanced output to connect it to my mixer for monitoring purposes.
Will any DB25 cable do? I am not too worried about quality (would crosstalk
be that bad with an unshielded cable?) at this point as it's just for
monitoring. I will be looking at using the other DB25 port for the line in.
For that I would probably look at an audio specific cable. Does it matter
really? Can you buy computer cables that have the individual cables
shielded?

Just wondering before I consider buying the input cable. Have any of you
been through this already?

Cheers;
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Hey guys;

I have an 800R in bound. I am looking at making a cable to do the
DB25 -- 8 1/4" Balanced output to connect it to my mixer for monitoring
purposes. Will any DB25 cable do? I am not too worried about quality
(would crosstalk be that bad with an unshielded cable?) at this point as
it's just for monitoring. I will be looking at using the other DB25 port
for the line in. For that I would probably look at an audio specific
cable. Does it matter really? Can you buy computer cables that have the
individual cables shielded?

Just wondering before I consider buying the input cable. Have any of you
been through this already?

Cheers;
Steve

Steve, I have a couple of these cables. They really are snakes with
shielded signal paths, terminated at one end to a DB25. In other words,
they are fundamentally different from computer cables.

There is a shielded IEEE cable spec, but I do not know if the way that the
signals and grounds are paired corresponds to the Mackie cable.

My examination indicates that the Hosa cables in this category seem to be
as well made as the more expensive alternatives. See
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._DB_25_to.html .
It's nicely made, with larger diameter pairs than some of the more
expensive custom stuff.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Yes, the Mackie Onyx DB25 connectors are wired exactly the same as the
Tascam analog DB25 connectors. Therefore the Hosa DBD series cable that Bob
mentions would be perfect for the job. They are designed for balanced I/O,
so all the right pairs should be twisted, eliminating crosstalk.

Bill.