Default Burning (reliable) audio CDs?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units. In particular, I have
long tracks (60 minutes or more), but there will often be skips in them. I'm
using the Linux program "cdrecord" to burn.

Should I be using high quality media? Or perhaps burning slower? Or???

Thanks for any tips...

Richard
Arny Krueger

wrote in message

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

You might want to play them on players that were designed to play CD-Rs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems
with skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units.

More likely consumer units that are old or in a bad state of repair.

**bg**

Hey Richard,

I've burned hundreds of CDs and had only one failure, likely something I
did, that was at least a year ago.

I buy the cheapest I can find, brands mean dick.

Try recording at a slower speed. Still have problems, must be yer burner or
process...likely not the discs IMHO.

Cheers,

-rj---
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

wrote in message ...
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units. In particular, I

have
long tracks (60 minutes or more), but there will often be skips in them.

I'm
using the Linux program "cdrecord" to burn.

Should I be using high quality media? Or perhaps burning slower? Or???

Thanks for any tips...

Richard

Kurt Albershardt

**bg** wrote:

I buy the cheapest I can find, brands mean dick.

OK, right.

Geoff Wood

wrote in message ...
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units.

It's the inexpensive consumer units that are 'unreliable' then.

In particular, I have
long tracks (60 minutes or more), but there will often be skips in them.
I'm
using the Linux program "cdrecord" to burn.

Should I be using high quality media? Or perhaps burning slower? Or???

No, use a high quality OS ! (joking). I would be a little suspicious of
doing anything 'realtime' in Linux, but that's not based on experience. I
guess if the CD-R ain't a coaster, then the drive has done it's thing OK.

Seriously though, CD-Rs are at best a compromise. Their reflectivity is a
fraction of that of replicated CDs, not to mention any other factors. &4
minute CDs should have a pre-groove that is wider than 80s, and easier to
track. But these days I suspect 74 minute media is really 80 minute media
with an ATIP programmed to say 74.

So one does the best one can, which is to find a media that gives consistant
results on the widest range of players. Traditionally this has been Mitsui
or Taiyo Yuden. I find SKC to be consistant and highly 'compatible', and is
a real manufacturer.

geoff

Ben Bradley

On 27 Oct 2004 17:20:48 -0400, wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks,

Use 74 minute CDR's (still available from specialty/recording
supply places such as tapewarehouse.com, not available retail for
years, Mitsui appears to be a good brand) if the recording will fit,
and if it won't, consider trimming it so it does. The original CD
format specified, IIRC, 63 minutes, and longer playing time is
technically out of spec, and the longer the playing time, the more out
it is and the more likely older players won't play it.
It used to be that 1x was burning speed for the lowest errors and
widest compatibility, but the new burners sold nowadays for $40-$50
have a minimum speed of 4x. Try different speeds and see if/how much
difference it makes.

but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units. In particular, I have
long tracks (60 minutes or more), but there will often be skips in them. I'm
using the Linux program "cdrecord" to burn.

Should I be using high quality media? Or perhaps burning slower? Or???

Try all these, but read (at least some of)
http://www.cdrfaq.org
first, it may answer lots of your questions.
Test each brand/speed/other variables combination on every CD
player you have, or at least on the older models. If you don't have an
older model, go to a thrift store and buy one. I have a 1980's vintage
Multitech player that CREAKS when the tray slides open and closed, but
it plays the CDR's I make. This is the crudest, most time-consuming
but most effective way to make CDR's that will reliably play in the
widest range of players.

Thanks for any tips...

Richard

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Raglan

wrote in message

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to burn
*reliable* audio CDs.

You might want to play them on players that were designed to play CD-Rs.

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems
with skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units.

More likely consumer units that are old or in a bad state of repair.

I'd be suspicious of the original poster's CD burner and/or burning
software. I've churned out hundreds of CD-Rs on the cheapest possible
Chinese media using an oldish Creative burner, Nero software and a
willing teenager, and they all play on (afaik) all consumer equipment.
We've sold lots of them at gigs, with my phone number on them, and
I've never had a complaint.

The old burner's max speed is 8X, so maybe that accounts for it. But I
doubt it.

These CDs have been relatively short (about 25 mins) but I've also
burnt compilations of my own that have gone to 80 minutes. They play
fine on my hi-fi, my crap car system and my boom box.

I had lots of trouble with skipping a few years ago when I was using
an even older burner and first-generation Adaptec software, if I
remember correctly. I would be inclined to wonder about the original
poster's Linux burning software, which may well be flaky.

Raglan

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

It used to be that 1x was burning speed for the lowest errors and
widest compatibility, but the new burners sold nowadays for $40-$50
have a minimum speed of 4x. Try different speeds and see if/how much
difference it makes.

I use 10X on my 24x and 48x drives and it seems to work fine with
garden variety blanks. One problem I've been having (which seems to be
settled for the moment with Taiyo Yuden Silver blanks) is finding
modern CDRs that work in a 1X (real time) recorder. Those Verbatum
disks that look like 45 RPM records are 16X last time I checked, and
they might be fine, but I never got around to trying them before
finding a blank that worked.

but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units.

This is a function of the player. If the disk will play on any one
player, it's technically OK, but there are no parameters you can
measure or even specifications you can verify that will assure
playability under the worst of conditions.

If your business is delivering working CDRs, you just have to
experiment to find blanks that work well in your drives. If you're
making CDRs for convenience, be prepared to make a replacement now and
then. And if you find someone with a player that can't play any of
your disks, tell them to get a new player or get theirs fixed. Life is
tough and a little unpredictable in the consumer electronics world.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Geoff Wood

"Troy" wrote in message
Taiyo Yudens will work at 1X also HHB makes a line of high end CDs
designed
to work under 4X,they are perfect for mastering.

.... and of course "Audio" CD-R media must work at 1x .

geoff

Ben Bradley

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:22:59 GMT, "Troy"
wrote:

OK....whatever that means??????

He surely means CDR's sold as "Music CD-R"s that have the bit set
that tells a standalone recorder that it's okay, these have the "Tape
Tax" paid on them, and this tax allegedly makes its way to the
recording artists who get pirated on these consumer recorders. You can
use these "Music CDR's" as data CDR's in a computer CD/RW drive, but
data CDR's won't record in a consumer standalone recorder.

"Troy" wrote in message
Taiyo Yudens will work at 1X also HHB makes a line of high end CDs
designed
to work under 4X,they are perfect for mastering.

... and of course "Audio" CD-R media must work at 1x .

geoff

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Geoff Wood

wrote:

OK....whatever that means??????

He surely means CDR's sold as "Music CD-R"s that have the bit set
that tells a standalone recorder that it's okay, these have the "Tape
Tax" paid on them, and this tax allegedly makes its way to the
recording artists who get pirated on these consumer recorders. You can
use these "Music CDR's" as data CDR's in a computer CD/RW drive, but
data CDR's won't record in a consumer standalone recorder.

.... and and (presumably) they work at 1x , unless the recorder buffers the
signal and writes in bursts. Or else one would have to sing multiples of
octaves higher than normal !

geoff

Richard Kuschel

I'm using standard 80 minute CDR blanks, but I have a lot of problems with
skips when I play them on inexpensive consumer units. In particular, I
have
long tracks (60 minutes or more), but there will often be skips in them.
I'm
using the Linux program "cdrecord" to burn.

Should I be using high quality media? Or perhaps burning slower? Or???

Thanks for any tips...

Richard

Don't use standard 80 minute CDR's , use 74 Minute CDR's. Mitsui (MAM) may be
the only manufactuter of these now, they are the only thing I use for Masters
and if a client has a problem with one of the duplicates that I make on 80
minute CDR's I replace it with one of the Mitsui 74's.

I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available for
burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I never had
trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

Richard H. Kuschel
Geoff Wood

"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message
Don't use standard 80 minute CDR's , use 74 Minute CDR's. Mitsui (MAM) may
be
the only manufactuter of these now, they are the only thing I use for
Masters
and if a client has a problem with one of the duplicates that I make on 80
minute CDR's I replace it with one of the Mitsui 74's.

I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available for
burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I never had
trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

I had about a 60% failure rate when media was that price. But I had an
HP4020i ....

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:10:26 +0200, Geoff Wood wrote:
"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message
I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available
for burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I
never had trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

I had about a 60% failure rate when media was that price. But I had an
HP4020i ....

The HP4020i was later: in 1995 writer about $1300, media pices about $8,
but I recognize the failure rate. But if you remember that prices, DVD
writers at $75 CD media at $0.20 and DVD media at $0.60 seems quite a
bargain.

Yeah, I was actually paying around @ NZ$25 which was US$15 at the time, I
think...

geoff

Ty Ford

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:44:07 -0500, greggery peccary wrote
(in article ):

[...]

could be your burn speed. since newer software &/or burners usuall only
burns 8x minimum. some better burners allow slower more accurate burning of
audio files.

I've heard conflicting reports about burn speed. In the early days slower
seemed better when problems happened. A few years ago, someone put forth the
idea that, in some cases, faster was better.

Don't know what to make of it, but I've been using TaiyoYuden Golds and some
Mitsui silvers. The Golds have been very solid. Just starting to use the
MAM-A Mitsuis.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Rob Reedijk

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Don't use standard 80 minute CDR's , use 74 Minute CDR's. Mitsui (MAM) may be
the only manufactuter of these now, they are the only thing I use for Masters
and if a client has a problem with one of the duplicates that I make on 80
minute CDR's I replace it with one of the Mitsui 74's.

I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available for
burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I never had
trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

I have a question: Do all Mitsui CDRs actually say "Mitsui" in the middle?
One of the local stores sells ones as Mitsui that don't have that written
in the middle. My choices are limited in that I am using the ink-jet
printables and there are only a few choices if you don't want the white
ones.

Rob R.
Richard Kuschel

I have a question: Do all Mitsui CDRs actually say "Mitsui" in the middle?
One of the local stores sells ones as Mitsui that don't have that written
in the middle. My choices are limited in that I am using the ink-jet
printables and there are only a few choices if you don't want the white
ones.

Rob R.

No, Now they say MAM-A , they changed the name, but they are the same discs.

they are also available in silver inkjet printable as well as white.

Richard H. Kuschel
Scott Dorsey

Rob Reedijk wrote:
Richard Kuschel wrote:

Don't use standard 80 minute CDR's , use 74 Minute CDR's. Mitsui (MAM) may be
the only manufactuter of these now, they are the only thing I use for Masters
and if a client has a problem with one of the duplicates that I make on 80
minute CDR's I replace it with one of the Mitsui 74's.

I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available for
burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I never had
trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

I have a question: Do all Mitsui CDRs actually say "Mitsui" in the middle?
One of the local stores sells ones as Mitsui that don't have that written
in the middle. My choices are limited in that I am using the ink-jet
printables and there are only a few choices if you don't want the white
ones.

Not all of them do, BUT lots of stuff is also rebadged inaccurately too.
If your drive can interrogate to see what the identification code on the
blank is, this will tell you a lot.
J. Joyce

Start out with a Plextor Premium from Newegg (~$75) with true EFM,
etc. A bargain.
Familiarize your self with Plextools Pro.

Download the free Eac (Exact Audio Copy)
Invest in a reliable burning software that suits your needs--I use
CDRWin but there are several out there. Nero is useful but not that
reliable.

Calibrate the CD offset for both reading and writing. Offset values
are listed on the internet if you do not wish to bother with the test
CDs. This will ensure that you can produce exact copies for archival
work as well as mastering.

Take a selection of known wave files, burn them to CD @ 4x

Rip the wave files to the HD and use the file compare of EAC to see if
they are them same.

Repeat this process a few times.

They should be EXACTLY the same EVERY time.
This is a bit of an oversimplification, and does not touch on subjects
like AWS, but that is more or less the best strategy I have seen so
far. And to be practical, I don't get the clicks that you referred to
anymore.

Repeat this process with a variety of CD burners and media and you
will notice that they are often NOT exactly the same. Usually the
errors are in the range of a few hundred samples but at high speeds
you will see way more errors. If I do a calibration run for all my
gear, I usually get a few over 2000 samples., and these usually come
from the DVD burners, which generally neither burn nor real digital
audio very well.

For critical burning, use only Taiyo Yuden, especially blue dye. The
plextor will also allow you to turn up the laser power slightly for
fussy players such as car players. I keep a couple of very marginal CD
players here to test for compatibility, and burning a CD @ 4x onto TY
has always played in any player

The advanced tools for the plextor will show you the optimum speed for
your CDs by showing you the number of errors. For CDs that I sell, I
always burn at 4x. For less formal wear and tear, I use 12x. On
inexpensive media I often see dropouts at low speed--I just burned an
HP cd tonight that was full of missing samples.

Burning sample accurate CDs used to be very complicated, now it is
inexpensive and the hard work has been done. Everyone has different
ways of doing this; for mastering I like to know that the CD that
leaves here is an exact copy of the final bounce.

In addition, there are now many masters that were burned onto CDs
which are starting to slowly go bad, and these techniques will allow
you to burn longer lasting masters as well as recover all of the audio
from the old ones--even material in the leadin/leadout areas for
drives that were not offset corrected.

Plextor error correction is I believe natively supported in Samplitude
and Sequoia; I haven't tested it, but in any case the ripping
algorithms are better in EAC and Plextools.

The EAC program is useful for many types of audio recovery from poor
quality disks. A 24x plextor is generally considered to have the best
lens for his kind of work, and the can often be found on Ebay, ymmv.

For most work, the Plextor Premium is fine.

If jitter is a problem you may consider the yamaha burners. They are
hard to find. The Yamaha is not as reliable a reader as the Plextor,
but can burn larger pits in the CD.

Several of the Lite-on burners are good if you wish to save a few
dollars, but they do not have the advanced features of the Plextor.
and the price of the plextor has come way down now.

If you work with horrifically scratched CDs you might consider a
Cyberdyne as well, due to the perfect C2 recovery, but the 24x plextor
might be even better.

jj

J. Joyce writes:

[...]

Dear J:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Finally, someone admits that this is a real
problem, and I'm not imagining it. It just amazes me that this has not been
solved yet. I guess like everything in the PC world, you should assume it
does not work unless it can be proven otherwise!

Richard

hank alrich

Mannr wrote:

Finally, someone admits that this is a real
problem, and I'm not imagining it. It just amazes me that this has not been
solved yet. I guess like everything in the PC world, you should assume it
does not work unless it can be proven otherwise!

A Mac's a "PC", too, and using both the built-in burner of a 2002
TiBook, an outboard Gplyph/Plextor Wildfire burner, and a standalone HHB
burner I have never burned a coaster that wasn't my own damn fault. I
generally use Costco TDK's for bulk stuff, and Fuji for a supposedly
better CDR and Mitsui 8x for supposedly even better. But whateve I've
used, no coasters, no skips, and so forth. So it isn't a problem for
everybody or for all systems.

--
ha
James Perrett

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Don't use standard 80 minute CDR's , use 74 Minute CDR's. Mitsui (MAM) may be
the only manufactuter of these now, they are the only thing I use for Masters
and if a client has a problem with one of the duplicates that I make on 80
minute CDR's I replace it with one of the Mitsui 74's.

I've been burning CDR's since the Sony was the only machine available for
burning ($30,000 for the machine/software and $35.00/disc.). I never had
trouble until the CDR 80's came out.

I'm still a little worried about Mitsui discs since the company
re-structured a couple of years ago. There's a guy on the mastering web
board who has done a fairly comprehensive test of different media
recently and the Mitsui error rates were far higher than any other
quality brand. This ties in with anecdotal reports of poorer quality
that I've heard. Older Mitsuis gave me the lowest C1 error rates that I
have ever seen but I've not dared to buy newer Mitsuis until someone
could confirm that the quality is still there - so far the only evidence
that I have seen suggests that T-Y or Verbatim are the ones to go for.

Cheers.

James.

Geoff Wood

"James Perrett" wrote in message

I'm still a little worried about Mitsui discs since the company
re-structured a couple of years ago. There's a guy on the mastering web
board who has done a fairly comprehensive test of different media
recently and the Mitsui error rates were far higher than any other
quality brand. This ties in with anecdotal reports of poorer quality
that I've heard. Older Mitsuis gave me the lowest C1 error rates that I
have ever seen but I've not dared to buy newer Mitsuis until someone
could confirm that the quality is still there - so far the only evidence
that I have seen suggests that T-Y or Verbatim are the ones to go for.

I recall something on CDR-Info or wherever from the year dot that gave
Mitsui a high error count on some particular burner at some particular speed
( I think that was in the days when 8 was 'tops'). In which case I wouldn't
be too worried....

geoff