Default Capacitor, how to find out what size?

Im anticipating that I will need a capacitor with my current setup. I
havent finished the install yet but I think more power will be needed.
How do you know what size cap to get? Is there a formula or something?

Ive also heard that its possible to get too large a cap. Any truch to
this? and or can a cap too big damage the amp(s)

Thx

MZ

"http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/rac-faq_2.html#SEC21"

--
Mark
that was easy...

wrote in message
Im anticipating that I will need a capacitor with my current setup. I
havent finished the install yet but I think more power will be needed.
How do you know what size cap to get? Is there a formula or something?

Ive also heard that its possible to get too large a cap. Any truch to
this? and or can a cap too big damage the amp(s)

Thx

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:04:16 -0500, thelizman

Im anticipating that I will need a capacitor with my current setup.

You won't.

havent finished the install yet but I think more power will be needed.
How do you know what size cap to get? Is there a formula or something?

Many shops will tell you 1 fd / 1000 watts. Then they'll sell you one.
The latter should cast suspicion on the former.

Ive also heard that its possible to get too large a cap. Any truch to
this? and or can a cap too big damage the amp(s)

No. It won't. But it doesn't matter - you won't need a cap anyway.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

So what's your course of action when a customer complains about
flickering or dimming headlamps/dash lights, but he's not having any
battery charging problems? Do you tell him to "suck it up and live
with it", or do you sell him a high-capacity alternator or lower-ESR
battery that he doesn't really need?

I don't believe capacitors will make your system "louder", "cleaner",
or "hit harder", but I have seen small capacitors fix lighting
problems when the charging system was otherwise adequate.

Scott Gardner

electricked

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
[...]

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

--Viktor

MZ

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher
power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

....which may or may not be more effective in the light dimming department
than the cap.

EFFENDI

MZ wrote:

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher

power

alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

...which may or may not be more effective in the light dimming department
than the cap.

Agreed. I thought I would need a cap for my system but ended up being
able to get a new alt and double the amperage for less than the
'reccomended' size cap i would 'have' to buy.

EFFENDI

Brandon Buckner

That all depends on what was meant as "higher power". I know I can get
either a new slightly more powerful alternator or get my current
alternator rewound to a higher rating (say about 95 amp or 100 amp) for
around $100 for my Contour. It may not be a 200+ amp alt, but it'd be
"higher power" than my stock 80-85 amp.

Brandonb

Captain Howdy wrote:

Where do you shop, $100 for a higher power alternator?

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

--Viktor

electricked

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
news
Where do you shop, $100 for a higher power alternator?

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher

power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

--Viktor

What I meant was spend those $100 toward a new alternator. I never said
you'll find an alternator for $100. That won't even buy you stock one, even
rebuilt stock for most vehicles.

--Viktor

Tha Ghee

wrote:

Scott Gardner

With the 100 bucks I would spend on a cap, I'd rather buy a new higher

power
alternator.

Just my 2 cents.

--Viktor

I dont' know of a higher power alt you can get for $100 unless you get the
factory upgraded amp. unless a lower ESR batt. is in the plans a cap is
very cost effective.

thelizman

Scott Gardner wrote:

So what's your course of action when a customer complains about
flickering or dimming headlamps/dash lights, but he's not having any
battery charging problems?

Bull****. If their stock electrical system can't supply the current to
keep lights from dimming, then they are having charging problems. They
need to upgrade their ground paths (hint: that stock 10 gauge to the
fender isn't helpting), sometimes the alternator, but the last thing you
should think about adding to an otherwise healthy electrical system is a
cap. Caps really only become necessary on large multi-amp systems.

Do you tell him to "suck it up and live
with it", or do you sell him a high-capacity alternator or lower-ESR
battery that he doesn't really need?

There's the keyword: "sell". There's more money to be made selling
people caps and batteries than a few feet of heavy gauge wire.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
Scott Gardner

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:55:30 -0500, thelizman
wrote:

Scott Gardner wrote:

So what's your course of action when a customer complains about
flickering or dimming headlamps/dash lights, but he's not having any
battery charging problems?

Bull****. If their stock electrical system can't supply the current to
keep lights from dimming, then they are having charging problems.

I disagree. Alternators only need to be able to keep up with the
*average* current demands of the car's electrical system, and as
you've pointed out in another thread, average current draw can often
be surprisingly low.

If you can drive around all day with the headlamps on and the stereo
cranked up without draining your battery, then the alternator is
obviously keeping up with the average current demand, even if you get
some flickering of the dash lights or headlamps during short periods
of peak demand. Rather than replacing the alternator with a
higher-capacity model, one or more small, well-placed capacitors can
stop the dimming problem. However, I think we both agree that the
sound quality/SPL level won't be affected.

I think that upgraded alternators are often recommended when they're
not needed, although I agree that capacitors are needlessly installed
MUCH more often.

Scott Gardner

Eric Desrochers

Scott Gardner wrote:

So what's your course of action when a customer complains about
flickering or dimming headlamps/dash lights, but he's not having any
battery charging problems? Do you tell him to "suck it up and live
with it", or do you sell him a high-capacity alternator or lower-ESR
battery that he doesn't really need?

The dealer would of course try to sell a cap but for the rest of the
world, understanding that a small light flickering is a non-issue and
move on seem like the sensible choice to do.

My 0.02
--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
thelizman

Eric Desrochers wrote:

The dealer would of course try to sell a cap but for the rest of the
world, understanding that a small light flickering is a non-issue and
move on seem like the sensible choice to do.

My 0.02

Here's some change: That light flickering is a symptom of unstable
voltage. Ripples in voltage can damage digital electronics, cause
malfunctions, and other problems. Ignoring this is not a sensible thing
at all.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

Eric Desrochers

thelizman wrote:

Eric Desrochers wrote:

The dealer would of course try to sell a cap but for the rest of the
world, understanding that a small light flickering is a non-issue and
move on seem like the sensible choice to do.

My 0.02

Here's some change: That light flickering is a symptom of unstable
voltage. Ripples in voltage can damage digital electronics, cause
malfunctions, and other problems. Ignoring this is not a sensible thing
at all.

From my Alpine CDA-9815 HU user manual :

Nominal voltage : 14.4 (11-16 volts permissible)

Looks like they can take quite a variation after all! Sensible circuits
should have filtred and regulated power supplies and I bet it's the case
in quality equipment.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
MZ

Here's some change: That light flickering is a symptom of unstable
voltage. Ripples in voltage can damage digital electronics, cause
malfunctions, and other problems. Ignoring this is not a sensible thing
at all.

The fluctuation every time you start your car is more severe than the
dimming associated with the audio system.

Hell, Eddie Runner calls the dimming a feature...

Tha Ghee

"thelizman" wrote in message
Eric Desrochers wrote:

[...]

how can there be ripples in DC voltage??

correct box size for 10" pil Car Audio 1 March 1st 04 05:55 AM
how to choose box size for 10" pil Car Audio 2 February 27th 04 11:29 PM
JL and WinISD don't agree on enclosure size Simon Juncal Car Audio 2 January 12th 04 03:52 PM
Want an audio system but dont have the cash? get the cash find out how Ohpineda General 0 August 3rd 03 07:57 PM
Want a new car audio system but dont have the cash? get cash now find out how Ohpineda Car Audio 0 August 3rd 03 07:53 PM