Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hla Thein

Default Audacity: how to split long tracks to shorter tracks

I've got a long recording (language lessons) that I want to split into
shorter tracks. I've just downloaded Audacity and trawled through the
Help pages but I can't see how to do what I want.

Can someone please explain? TIA for advice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
anahata

Hla Thein wrote:
I've got a long recording (language lessons) that I want to split into
shorter tracks. I've just downloaded Audacity and trawled through the
Help pages but I can't see how to do what I want.

Can someone please explain? TIA for advice.

Mark a section that you want to export, then select File - "Export
Selection as WAV". Repeat till done...

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison

"anahata" wrote in message
Hla Thein wrote:
I've got a long recording (language lessons) that I want to split into
shorter tracks. I've just downloaded Audacity and trawled through the
Help pages but I can't see how to do what I want.

Can someone please explain? TIA for advice.

Mark a section that you want to export, then select File - "Export
Selection as WAV". Repeat till done...

Or, click on the file where you want to split it up, go up to the Edit
pulldown menu, select "cursor to end". That will split the file into two
tracks. You can repeat that as many times as you'd like. However, Anahata's
suggestion also works well if you want to immediately save the individual
chunks of audio.

dave

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Home: 01638 720444 Mob: 07976 263827

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adam Goldman

Hla Thein wrote:
I've got a long recording (language lessons) that I want to split into
shorter tracks. I've just downloaded Audacity and trawled through the
Help pages but I can't see how to do what I want.

Can someone please explain? TIA for advice.

Besides the approaches already suggested, you can place the cursor
each place you want a trackmark, then press Ctrl-B to put a label there.
When you're finished you can use "Export Multiple" to split into separate
files based on the labels.

If this is for a CD you can also set the cursor to snap to frame intervals
so the sizes of the resultant tracks will be "CD legal" without padding.
Bewa this setting may be lost when you exit and restart Audacity.

-- Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hla Thein

Many thanks Anahata, Dave and Adam: I will go and put your advice into
practice. John

Posted to rec.audio.pro