RoKKo

Default C451E-CK1 Capsule...Sad day for me...

Hi everyone...

I used to think that my c451+ck1 wasn't ok. Poor sensitivity...lacking
low end... but couldnt actually determine if it was broken or not.
Yesterday i finally decided to carefully open the capsule...
surprise!!! the membrane is partially loose...hell!!! it's not
actually broken but not attached to the edge (25% aprox)

What should I do? where should I send it? to who?

Please Help...

BTW I'm in Lima-Perù...

Regards

Rocco Flores Oneto
Twist Turner

I would try emailing AKG, I'm pretty sure they still support them
although I could be wrong. Occasionally capsules pop up on ebay as
well, probably in the $50 range I would guess.

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70

Scott Dorsey

RoKKo wrote:
I used to think that my c451+ck1 wasn't ok. Poor sensitivity...lacking
low end... but couldnt actually determine if it was broken or not.
Yesterday i finally decided to carefully open the capsule...
surprise!!! the membrane is partially loose...hell!!! it's not
actually broken but not attached to the edge (25% aprox)

What should I do? where should I send it? to who?

Send it to AKG service in Nashville, TN. I think they also handle all
the South American service as well. Mark the box as being equipment
returned for repair.
RoKKo

(Ty Ford) wrote in message And please let them know you don't want any of their old brass C414 capsules!

::IT'S A JOKE::

haha... no way! i'm a big fan of teflon pans and capsules as well... i
hope they came out with a teflon ck1 as well...

Regards

Rocco

RoKKo

My local AKG dealer still have: 2 451EB bodies (black and silver). And
something i probably overlooked: 1 CK5 capsule. I thought it was an
omni capsule or some bizzare AKG experiment... The guy at the shop
told me it wasn't actually broken... just the foam... i didnt want to
look further...a broken CK capsule is enough for me... But now i've
been reading the CK5 is actually a very usable cardiod capsule. What
does broken or worn foam means? If the foam fits inside...how can it
be broken? I'm going to try it on monday.
If it sounds correct should I worry about the foam? does it
desintegrates inside the "ball"? Lastly how much should I pay for it?

Thanx

Rocco
David Satz

RoKKo wrote:

What should I do? where should I send it? to who?

AKG Acoustics in Nashville, Tennessee (USA) can repair CK-1 capsules.
They repaired one for me last year, and it seems to be fine now.
Preben Friis

"RoKKo" wrote in message
m...
My local AKG dealer still have: 2 451EB bodies (black and silver). And
something i probably overlooked: 1 CK5 capsule. I thought it was an
omni capsule or some bizzare AKG experiment... The guy at the shop
told me it wasn't actually broken... just the foam... i didnt want to
look further...a broken CK capsule is enough for me... But now i've
been reading the CK5 is actually a very usable cardiod capsule. What
does broken or worn foam means? If the foam fits inside...how can it
be broken? I'm going to try it on monday.
If it sounds correct should I worry about the foam? does it
desintegrates inside the "ball"? Lastly how much should I pay for it?

If the foam or rubber suspension is completely destroyed you can always use
the CK1-S that is inside a CK5 ... a bright version of the CK1 cardioid
capsule...

/Preben Friis

RoKKo

"
If the foam or rubber suspension is completely destroyed you can always use
the CK1-S that is inside a CK5 ... a bright version of the CK1 cardioid
capsule...

/Preben Friis

I'm going to take a look at this CK5 tomorrow... do you mean a CK1S
capsule is actually inside the CK5?

Regards

Rocco Flores Oneto

Preben Friis

"RoKKo" wrote in message
om...

I'm going to take a look at this CK5 tomorrow... do you mean a CK1S
capsule is actually inside the CK5?

Yes ... a genuine CK1-S with case and all. I disassembled one of mine and
took a picture.

http://hiq.homepage.dk/studio/CK5.jpg

I didn't try to remove it from the grille, but I guess it should be
possible.

/Preben Friis

Frank Vuotto

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:17:26 +0100, "Preben Friis"
wrote:

I didn't try to remove it from the grille, but I guess it should be
possible.

Yes, they screw out, BTW, inside the CK5 is a prime hiding place for
oxidation. Not that I'm complaining, I got my pair at a pawn shop for
$25 each. They were oxidized and didn't work without extreme
crackling. The owner though they were dying.They must have been used
for tom mikes because they had 20 db pads and the CK5's meshes were
very mangled

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Preben Friis

"Frank Vuotto" wrote in message

Yes, they screw out, BTW, inside the CK5 is a prime hiding place for
oxidation. Not that I'm complaining, I got my pair at a pawn shop for
$25 each. They were oxidized and didn't work without extreme
crackling. The owner though they were dying.They must have been used
for tom mikes because they had 20 db pads and the CK5's meshes were
very mangled

You don't have any real reason to complain, even my near perfect ones makes
crackling noises when they are not cleaned properly.... and the 20 dB pads
alone goes for up to around $50-100 a piece...! :-)

/Preben Friis

david

In article , Frank Vuotto
wrote:

Not that I'm complaining, I got my pair at a pawn shop for
$25 each. They were oxidized and didn't work without extreme
crackling. The owner though they were dying.They must have been used
for tom mikes because they had 20 db pads and the CK5's meshes were
very mangled

More likely used for hi hat.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
RoKKo

Ok. Thanx you my friends.

I got this deal today at my AKG distributor.

1 CK5 $80. Dry foam. Rubber ok. Capsule CK1s inside ok.
1 C451EB $80. Just as new. Black.

At the end of the day I got a new mic for $160. I decent deal I guess.

About my original unit I found out that a couple of capacitors need to
be replaced in the body/preamp too. Now US AKG wants me to deal with
their distributors in Lima, but the truth is that these guys doesn't
give a ****e about sending my mic to the US. An option is to send it
to some friend in the US but i really dont know if all this effort
will be convenient.

At this point i prefer to sell it for $100 including shipping to US or
wherever. I should cost another $100 to repair---so at the end you
should have a perfect unit for $200... which seems fair to me. Any
offers?

I'm going to begin a thread about this later...

Regards

Rocco Flores Oneto...

RoKKo

ok ok... i should stay within audio limits... i'm no good taking
pictures with my TRUST digital camera... anyway this is the C451 i'd
sell. Cosmetically it's just perfect...

http://free.hostdepartment.com/r/roc...451YMXL603.jpg
http://free.hostdepartment.com/r/roc...KGC451ECK1.JPG

Regards