Usenet Service

Old March 31st 21, 10:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Usenet Service

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.
Old March 31st 21, 10:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:08:46 -0400, mcp6453 > wrote:

>I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
>group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
>I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
>there is such a thing these days.

Eternal-September is free and very good.

Old April 1st 21, 11:30 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:08:46 -0400, mcp6453 > wrote:

>I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
>group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
>I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
>there is such a thing these days.

Eternal-September is free and very good.

I second that motion.

Poly

Old April 1st 21, 01:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ClumsyWetPilotDevil66

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> there is such a thing these days.

I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10, or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well
Old April 1st 21, 03:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Liz Tuddenham

mcp6453 > wrote:

> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> there is such a thing these days.

I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Old April 2nd 21, 06:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/04/2021 1:53 am, ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
>> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
>> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
>> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
>> there is such a thing these days.

> I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10, or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well

That would be "Holmez" ?

Old April 2nd 21, 03:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:57:44 AM UTC-4, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> mcp6453 > wrote:
>
> > I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> > group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> > I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> > there is such a thing these days.

> I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
> and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
> that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

Thanks Liz. I've also been using them a long time. No problems.

Ty Ford
Old April 3rd 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 02 Apr 2021, geoff > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> On 2/04/2021 1:53 am, ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
>>> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews.
>>> This group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper
>>> alternative? I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one
>>> would be nice, if there is such a thing these days.

>> I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10,
>> or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well

> That would be "Holmez" ?

Well, that's nice to know! It's been many, many years since I've seen
any Android Usenet client updated, let alone a new one introduced. I
figured it was a deadend technology that nobody would ever again sink
more time or effort into. I'm going to try this one out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.holmez.twa
Old April 4th 21, 08:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Gillies

On 2021-03-31 4:08 p.m., mcp6453 wrote:
> I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
> group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
> I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
> there is such a thing these days.

nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.