7.2 A/V _Preamp_

Old October 28th 17, 12:30 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

Default 7.2 A/V _Preamp_

PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.

A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
the input card becomes an issue.

Fighting this battle seems to be never-ending.

--RY

--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
Old October 29th 17, 06:30 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 28/10/2017 10:30 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
> PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
> DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.
>
> A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
> to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
> the input card becomes an issue.

Can you just rip the Bluray to hard drive and remove the copy protection
using something like DVDFab, like you can for DVD?

Trevor.

Old October 31st 17, 11:35 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 29/10/2017 12:23 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
> geoff > writes:

>>> Yep not too active, but probably a few like me who saw your post and
>>> have no idea of any devices that fit your requirements. I can only
>>> say I'd agree with your comment, "a bit of a rare bird". Probably
>>> not a big enough market. Most people just buy a sound bar these
>>> days, or a full HT receiver.

>> As I found. Needed a sound-bar because these latest ultra-thin TV seem
>> to have sound so tinny that it is pretty much unlistenable. And
>> firing up the stereo hook-up is too much hassle for 'everyday'
>> viewing. I save the stereo for 'special ' events.
>>
>> But 7.2 , why ? Why not 11-6 or 15.9 ? Or maybe just 8 for real 3D.

> Because that's the current standard? Except for this Dolby Atmos thingie
> now.

Seems to be a new 'standard' every year or so.

Old November 2nd 17, 02:57 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

Trevor > writes:

> On 28/10/2017 10:30 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
>> PS: One big issue in basing it on a PC is the ability to play new BluRay
>> DVDs and the copy protection is a real bear to get around.
>>
>> A potential way around that is to buy an HDMI input card, then transcode
>> to the system HDMI output. But then the HDCP copy protection revision of
>> the input card becomes an issue.
>>

> Can you just rip the Bluray to hard drive and remove the copy
> protection using something like DVDFab, like you can for DVD?

Hi Trevor,

First note that I'll be using linux. I don't think DVDFab will
run under linux.

Also note that I don't need to do anything special for DVDs - opensource
apps like vlc play them just fine without any messing with.

Apparently the Blu-ray DRM is more advanced and changes, making it more
difficult to "crack." I read some about it here but admit it still seems
quite mysterious:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blu-ray
Old November 7th 17, 07:00 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

Hi Randy,

I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection from
BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux I have
no idea, but possibly worth a look.

Trevor.

Old November 7th 17, 08:48 AM posted to rec.audio.tech

On 7/11/2017 7:00 PM, Trevor wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
> drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection from
> BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux I have
> no idea, but possibly worth a look.

Surely even ardent Linux adherents keep a Win PC in the cupboard, just
for the occasional convenience ? Or do they all keep heads in sand ?

Old November 28th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates[_2_]

Trevor > writes:

> Hi Randy,
>
> I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
> drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection
> from BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux
> I have no idea, but possibly worth a look.

I can certainly fire up my win10 vm and use it there, it's just
inconvenient.

Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

--Randy

Old November 29th 17, 04:10 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 28/11/2017 1:25 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
> Trevor > writes:
>
>> Hi Randy,
>>
>> I have no personal experience with BluRay since I don't have a BluRay
>> drive in my computer. I think that DVDFab can remove the protection
>> from BluRay disks though. Whether there is something similar for Linux
>> I have no idea, but possibly worth a look.

> I can certainly fire up my win10 vm and use it there, it's just
> inconvenient.
>
> Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

You are more than welcome if it is any help.

Trevor.

Old November 29th 17, 07:31 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Tobiah

>> Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.
>
> You are more than welcome if it is any help.

So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

Old November 30th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 30/11/2017 5:31 AM, Tobiah wrote:
>>> Thanks much for the suggestion, Trevor.

>> You are more than welcome if it is any help.

> So if it wasn't of any help, then he's not welcome?

I know it's a bit slow here, but stupid comments don't add much value. :-(

Trevor.