Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Mick

Default Mick's AX84 High Octane Build: WE HAVE MUSIC!!! Amp Complete!

Hi Folks,

Just want to report that the amp powered up perfectly the first time
and sounds incredible. I played it through my 4 x 10s in the 65 Super
Reverb. At 2 ohms, that is not optimum, but still sounded great!

I'll post pics, and possibly music, tomorrow.

Best to all,
Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Your Name

Mick wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just want to report that the amp powered up perfectly the first time
and sounds incredible. I played it through my 4 x 10s in the 65 Super
Reverb. At 2 ohms, that is not optimum, but still sounded great!

I'll post pics, and possibly music, tomorrow.

Best to all,
Mick

Congratulations Mick! mvm
Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Mick

MVM
***
Congratulations Mick! mvm
***

Thanks Mark. Really an incredible feeling to fire this beast up and
find that it actually works. Icing on the cake is that it really sounds
great. Pics and music to follow.

Best to you,
Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Mick

Mick Misspelled:
***
Thanks Mark...
***

Thanks Marc! Sorry about the misspelling.
Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Phil S.

"Mick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,

Just want to report that the amp powered up perfectly the first time
and sounds incredible. I played it through my 4 x 10s in the 65 Super
Reverb. At 2 ohms, that is not optimum, but still sounded great!

I'll post pics, and possibly music, tomorrow.

Best to all,
Mick

That's a good feeling! Nice job. In six months you'll want to build
another. It's addictive.
Phil

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
RickH

Mick wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just want to report that the amp powered up perfectly the first time
and sounds incredible. I played it through my 4 x 10s in the 65 Super
Reverb. At 2 ohms, that is not optimum, but still sounded great!

I'll post pics, and possibly music, tomorrow.

Best to all,
Mick

Congrats! At what number does she begin to break up? Does that amp
have a good amount of clean headroom before it starts to sound bluesy?
I've been looking for some kits with a lot of clean headroom so am
curious.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Steve L

I built the P1 version of the AX84 design. It is pretty clean up to
about 7, and then starts to give calssic rock style crunch. The High
Octane should be nastier, with more distortion kicking in sooner. These
are really cool amps actually, and pretty darn loud even though they are
only 5-8 watts. I played mine through a 2x12 cabinet with my bass player
and drummer, and almost kept up (but not quite). Doberman Amps selss the
kits, and provides good support.

RickH wrote:
Mick wrote:

Hi Folks,

Just want to report that the amp powered up perfectly the first time
and sounds incredible. I played it through my 4 x 10s in the 65 Super
Reverb. At 2 ohms, that is not optimum, but still sounded great!

I'll post pics, and possibly music, tomorrow.

Best to all,
Mick

Congrats! At what number does she begin to break up? Does that amp
have a good amount of clean headroom before it starts to sound bluesy?
I've been looking for some kits with a lot of clean headroom so am
curious.

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Mick

Phil Rightly Said:
***
In six months you'll want to build
another. It's addictive.
***

Six months?!!! How about tomorrow! ;-)
Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Phil S.

"Mick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil Rightly Said:
***
In six months you'll want to build
another. It's addictive.
***

Six months?!!! How about tomorrow! ;-)
Mick

You'll start thinking about it tomorrow. You won't have the monkey on yer
back for another 180 days or so.

I highly recommend trying to build something simple like a Champ or 5E3
Deluxe, but do it in a small chassis with terminal strips (no board). This
will force you to think about layout and abandon the time tested layout
diagrams we all know about. You will be challenged, and you will learn
something. It will make you a better amp builder. You'll have some fun,
too.

Regards,
Phil

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Steve L

Fwiw, I primarily play my P1 through a 1x12 cabinet. I actually have two
different ones. One of them has a Weber 12" Ceramic Blue Dog, and the
other has a Celestian 12" Vintage 30. They both sound great. I have also
played it through a 2x12" Univox cab from the 70's (the blue one) with
Vintage 30's installed - very cool.

Mick wrote:
RickH Asked:
***
Congrats! At what number does she begin to break up? Does that amp
have a good amount of clean headroom before it starts to sound bluesy?
I've been looking for some kits with a lot of clean headroom so am
curious.
***

Rick,

I think it starts to break up around 5, however, it doesn't mean it is
not loud and clean. I crank the drive all the way up and dime the tone
controls and get great clean tone and loud through my 4X10 SR. I ran it
tonight through an 80s Super Twin and did not like the sound as much as
with the Super Reverb. Of course, we have 1965 speakers versus 80s
junk. ;-)

I highly recommend this great amp. I built mine to run either the EL84
or any octal (6V6, 6L6, KT66, etc.).

Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers,alt.guitar.amps
Mick

Steve Offered
***
Fwiw, I primarily play my P1 through a 1x12 cabinet. I actually have
two
different ones. One of them has a Weber 12" Ceramic Blue Dog, and the
other has a Celestian 12" Vintage 30. They both sound great. I have
also
played it through a 2x12" Univox cab from the 70's (the blue one) with
Vintage 30's installed - very cool
***

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. So far I've played through the SR and a Super
Twin. Definitely liked the SR better. Want to try it with my 65 Guild
Thunder 1 next. Many of the great cuts I've heard on AX84 forum come
from a 1 x 12 cab.

Mick