Geoff Wood

Default Cool Edit / Adobe Audition

Chief Jo wrote:
I'm using Audition/CEP to clean up vinyl before burning CD's. In
looking for a system (of reasonable price =$1000) that balances RAM
with CPU speed with hard disk speed (SATA?), which should take
priority? Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. My old PC
is on its last legs, so it's time to make a move. Thanks.
-dan

Almost anything current is just fine. Look slightly above the cheapest
models, for one that does *not* share video and system RAM .

Balancing RAM/CPU/HHD-speed really just is not a factor for burning CDs. The
faster the CPU may slightly reduce processing time for the likes of noise
reduction plugins.

geoff

Arny Krueger

Chief Jo wrote:

I'm using Audition/CEP to clean up vinyl before burning CD's. In
looking for a system (of reasonable price =$1000) that balances RAM
with CPU speed with hard disk speed (SATA?), which should take
priority? Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. My old PC
is on its last legs, so it's time to make a move. Thanks.

Hard drive speed with Audition is more dependent on having two hard drives,
than the hard drives themselves. You want to put the Audition Temp folder on
a different drive from the one where you save and open files.

Certainly, modern 7200 rpm drives should be used. I have built a number of
SATA and SATA/IDE machines and SATA is not that much of a performance boost.

Cleaning up noisy media tends to be IME CPU intensive. An Athlon 2500+ or
faster machine with 333 or 400 MHz DDR RAM, as supported by your CPU, is a
good idea. 256 or more RAM is fine, as Auditon is not particularly
RAM-intensive.