BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 23 Aug 2005 02:47:17 GMT, wrote:

"In which case, all "well-designed" amplifiers are NOT the same depending
upon the load?"

The stipulation has always been that two amps driven within their linear
design goals will sound no different. Low z loads can exceed that of some
amps and be the source of differences that rise above thresholds of
audibility.

Quite so, which fells them at the first fence for ABX comparison.

Given that this issue in practice limits many amplifiers to an *average*
output of perhaps 1 to 5 watts, you might be correct? This assumes a
peak to average ratio for most high quality digital source recordings of
~20dB. Ya wouldn't wannna clip 'em, not even for a microsecond, since
that just might make the "differences" audible, eh? :- )

OTOH, the subjectivist crew will *never* argue that power is an issue.
Randy of course does have a commercial axe to grind here, as his BEAR
Labs 'Symphony' amplifiers are gross overkill for most speakers, and
are an hommage to the early Krells.

Actually, Stew, they are not an hommage to any Krells at all. No more
than any modern amplifier of reasonable power and current capability
might be. Beyond that there is very little resemblance between any
Krell, modern or "classic" in terms of design or topology.

You do use "overkill" Krell amplifiers yourself, Lord Pinkerton?

Have you yet addressed why you don't trade 'em, in for some nice NAD,
Bryston or Adcomm gear?

_-_-bear
BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 23:50:42 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 21 Aug 2005 15:34:42 GMT, BEAR wrote:

It is interesting to note that the Brystons share the same topology as
did the Krell KSA 50 & 100 series amps... which btw, also left me with a
similar impression.

Personally, I 've never heard a Bryston or Krell that didn't sound
just like any other well-designed amp. Of course, if you're using your
eyes as well as your ears, you may have a quite different impression.

Lord Pinkerton, your views on this matter are well documented here and
in other forums.

But, one might find it curious that you chose to use Krell amplifiers,
rather than selling them, pocketing the difference, in favor of some
less expensive and "equally well-designed" amplifier.

One would not find it all curious if one had heard the explanation a
dozen times, as youi have.

Or, are you going to tell us that the reason you have Krells is their
ability to drive very low Z loads? In which case, all "well-designed"
amplifiers are NOT the same depending upon the load?

As you well know, that is precisely the reason. And it is of course
*obvious* that some amplifiers do not perform well into very low
loads. That is of course why the standard precondition of ABX testing
is that the amps are used below clipping.

At about 10mph, all cars perform equally well, btw.
Notice any similarity here?
Crash tests, and testing up near the limits are where differences start
to become clear and self-evident.

I do not think it is possible to do real world tests with amplifiers and
*assume* that they never clip, or that they will never see a highly
reactive load. Do you?

What indication do you have that your amplifiers NEVER clip?
More curious than ever.

Just curious.

No Randy, you're not curious at all, as we've been around these curves
many times before. I notice that you're still selling those 'Silver
Lightning' cables, and still claiming that they sound different from
standard Radio Shack fare - but you will not prove that you can
actually hear the difference yourself.

Prove? How?
What would constitute "proof"??

ABX? Done by who, where, under what controlled and measured conditions?
With what gear, at whose expense?

Of course, if you perceive no differences in these amps, then the one
with the better warranty is best - a la "Consumer Reports" here in the
States...

Indeed so.

So which warranty is better, Krell or Bryston?

I believe that Bryston still has the best warranty, so if the Bryston
of your choice has the power to drive your preferred speakers to your
preferred listening level, it seems like a good bet to me. Or would
you rather someone bought a BEAR Labs Symphony amp, Randy? :-)

What's the warranty like on those Krell wannabee monsters?

Ummm... they don't break?

But actually I have had to repair two in the last 20 years, thanks for
asking.

One was toasted by a huge DC offset and oscillation from a source that
has toasted itself, the other was mine, and it ran for 5-10 minutes into
a dead short (yes) while playing at full volume (the spade lugs on the
amp were touching) and I noticed the amp "smelled warm" and then one of
the Mosfets on *one* rail decided to do the "internal arc welding trick"
buring a white hot hole in the case. Replacing that Mosfet with another
matched carefully solved the problem, irrc. Stout design, eh? :- )

Thanks for asking.

Btw, you can no longer purchase a Symphony No.1 Amplifier, I don't
think. The caps that make up the supply are no longer available at
prices that make any sense whatsoever, along with some other parts that
have become increasingly expensive. While I suppose if money were no
object, I could manage to build one, no one has come by ever with that
situation in hand...

Regards,

_-_-bear
BEAR

BEAR wrote:

wrote:

"Personally, I have never heard a Bryston that didn't sound hard,"

The perfect candidate to take the $5000 standing prize for demonstrating
the ability to hear a difference, any difference, in the type of amps
mentioned in this thread.

Set up the test, provide room, board, and transpo costs...
Be certain that the test conditions can be measured and documented
(beyond the usual lack thereof) and the *gear agreed upon*, and that the
source material can be chosen and agreed upon by me (and you) and we're
ready to go.

Eg. a SONY CD player will not be an acceptable source...

Of course, that standing prize had best be held by a real escrow
service, and documented, as well as there being an agreed upon objective
observer(s) present.

Ok? :- )

I'll bring some friends possibly, and they can do the same "trick" that
I will, or else we can all fail miserably. Of course, if we have to hear
the difference between a Bryston and a Krell, that's tougher if the
Krell is a KSA series and the Bryston is a Bryston, since they are
really the same amp, with a slightly different implementation... or
didn't you know that? So that's picking between two amps that I feel are
less than "optimal" but very similar in many respects. Probably still
not that hard to do though...

;_)

_-_-bear

PS. last time I asked about the $$, no one managed to do much more than
shuffle their feet, look down, change the subject, etc... gonna be
different this time? That was a few years ago.

Ok - let's try this another way:

- I have no idea who has a $10k check for an "amp" challenge? Please
supply a link or URL.

- Who supplies the transpo costs is hardly the main matter, let's avoid
that issue entirely for now. I would have thought that all of the very
vociferous "objectivists" would be glad and happy to chip in to send me
somewhere for presumed humiliation? No??

- I thought we were talking about the $5k cable issue/amp issue fostered
on this newsgroup. Which, afaik, still bogus since no one has ever
actually PUT UP THE MONEY.

- The test conditions MUST be appropriate in all aspects. Period. If
they can not be met, then the test as far as I am concerned is bogus and
meaningless. For example, if I want a CD player that according to
someone's opinion is "imperfect" BUT I think that it will help me hear
amp differences, then that is my perogative. Right?

More than that, objective measurements of the system and its
components before the actual challenge test, as a system, and after the
challenge test are *essential* imho. This is time consuming and
non-trivial. Some one else's (random from my point of view) system can
not be deemed to be appropriate or sufficient just because they say so.

Answer those issues, and there may be something to talk about - but of
course, no one on this group has ante'd up a penny, so it is all talk.

If someone knows this 10k$ guy you can do the preliminary discussion,
pass along what I've said, and see if he balks at any of it. Then it may
make sense to waste my time trying to see where it goes.

_-_-bear
BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 23:44:49 GMT, wrote:

"Personally, I have never heard a Bryston that didn't sound hard,"

The perfect candidate to take the $5000 standing prize for demonstrating
the ability to hear a difference, any difference, in the type of amps
mentioned in this thread.

We've danced this dance before, but the music always stops before
Randy gets on the floor. Randy will make lots of noise, but he will
eventually duck the challenge on some pretext - even though he sells
'audiophile' cables, never mind amplifiers. Check out his 'BEAR Labs'
website to get a better idea of what this guy is *really* about....

Hmmm... I thought this sort of post was not going to be permitted any more?

Well, everyone please do look at my website.

And, Stewie, where is THE MONEY THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY PUT UP FOR THIS
GROUPS CHALLENGE? Nowhere. All talk, no action, eh?

Pretext? No MONEY in a *challenge* that you and the others of your ilk
dreamed up, but failed to make real?? That's a pretext??

No agreement to do OBJECTIVE TESTING of the system used in your
"definitive" ABX tests? That's a pretext??

You're a funny person, Pinkerton.

And, btw, I take roughly a year or so mostly off from rahe, and you
and some others are still beating the same old dead horse? Why? For the
"truth"? Do you truly believe you have "the truth" in hand, and that you
are the only ones who know it?? Do you?

_-_-bear

"I have heard Krells that are similarly transparent, but never Brystons.

How would you know, since you decry blind comparisons?

What don't you understand about "never heard" and "transparency"? You
don't
know the difference between a slightly dirty window and an absolutely
clear
one? You'd have to have them side by side?"

Yes, to determine the threshold of the visual perception of "dirt" one
would need a reference to percieve difference. Gross differences are easy
to recall but as the difference becomes very small our memories don't
allow valid recolection of differences. The statement above about
"hearing" about amps evokes the same principle and only testing that
excludes errors of memory can provide a valid answer as to the threshold
of any proposed quality of amps. At issue also is the oft repeated claim
of the subjective enterprise that even a small system change makes a
difference, which excludes all but the exact same system in the exact same
context to make the claim above valid even using subjective criteria.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Aug 2005 00:35:17 GMT, "Bret Ludwig"

Bret Ludwig wrote:
wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:
... (classic topology) tube amps that measure as well as the
Brystons, or in some other solid state amps.

Excuse me?

Even the best measuring tube amps ever made (i.e. the later McIntosh's and
the Kron-Hite's) don't measure like a modern solid state amp.

Many popular high end solid state amps don't measure all that well,

That's because those use questionable design practices like low or no loop
feedback.

Many designers, listeners, and DIY hobbyists believe that no, or low
loop feedback is a design benefit. I tend to agree. I concede it has
never been scientifically proven absolutely wrong.

In point of fact, any of a dozen or more topologies can produce
amplifiers which are sonically transparent. It follows of course that
they all sound the same, or rather they don't *have* any 'sound' of
their own. This is of course not a popular fact with 'high end' sales
people, but it remains true.

There is no way a tube amp can have as low an output impedance as a solid
state amp unless the solid state amp is puposely (or incompentently) designed
not to have a low output impedance, and differences in output impedance are
the most common reason for acoustically audible differences between
amplifiers.

Only in extremis, i.e. when the o/p impedance is more than half an
ohm, and the speakers have low impedance. This typically only happens
with low feedback designs such as SETs.

and I've seen .04,.035 from sufficiently tweaked MC275s-if you unhook
the heater supply and run it off a bench DC supply.

Apples and oranges. Tweak all those other amps and then compare.

Or just buy a good modern tube design such as the ARC VT100 or C-J
Premier Eight.

They say Julie Labs
was doing .004,.003 in the sixties-I've never seen one personally-and
there aren't many solid state amps that get near there.

That was then. This is now. MANY solid state amps can do those numbers.
But so what? IME, THD numbers are most useful from a production or repair
standpoint to detect amps that have problems from normally functioning units.
THD has to get surprisingly high to be acoustically audible.

Intermod is a different story, but still, the point is, we are not after
numbers here, per se.

You brought up measurements and wrote some misleading things about them,
that's all.

I fail to see what I said was misleading. I have been careful to state
things in a non-confrontational way, however.

You stated that some classic topolgy tube amps measure as well as
Brystons. This simply isn't true.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Aug 2005 03:06:51 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 25 Aug 2005 00:02:33 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

I believe Randy's point is: if you are to justify the Krells because they
drive your Apogees' low impedance load, then the Bryston's will do the
same
for less money and with a longer warranty....so long as you believe them
sonically equal.

The Krell is rated for *continuous* operation at full output into a 1
ohm load, the Bryston is not.

So how much *continuous* listening do you do at full rated output?

Quite a bit, since my amp isn't that powerful, my speakers are
insensitive, and my system is set up to clip at 0dB FS on my CD player
with the volume control at -6dB from full volume - which is where it
usually sits when I'm having a serious listen - or am in the next
room.

So much for your stated ratinale for owning the Krells.
One is left to believe you perceive the Krells as sonically superior,
despite all your huffing and puffing over amplifiers sounding the same.

In that case, one hasn't been paying attention. The Krell is a neutral
sounding amp which I have confidence will not change its (lack of)
character into any available loudspeaker. As such, it's a useful
reference, but it sounds exactly the same as my Audiolab 8000P into
the Apogees. As a Krell, it also deflects the peanut gallery from the
usual subjectivist cry that If I think all good amps sound the same,
that's only because I've never heard a 'high-end' amplifier.

In other words, it sounds better to you than most other amps, when used in
the real world.

You're still not listening, are you Harry? It sounds *the same* as
most other well-designed amps. My Denon PMA-350 II sounds a little
rougher when cranked up to full power on the Duettas, but then it was
never designed to drive such a load, and *visibly* distorts under
these circumstances.

I mean you can clearly see the distortion on a 'scope, the amp doesn't
actually change shape........... :-)

Isn't that how most of us buy and use amps? Did you need a
blind test?

Of course, since I wanted to be *sure* that what I thought I was
hearing actually existed. Mostly, it didn't.

FWIW, I've heard Randy's amp driving his full range electrostatics and
subwoofer system...and I've never heard a system more transparent and
effortless.

Quite possibly - but that would be down to the speakers, not the amp.

Since when can the speakers be divorced from the amp driving them?

All the time, if the amp is adequate.

I have heard Krells that are similarly transparent, but never Brystons.

How would you know, since you decry blind comparisons?

What don't you understand about "never heard" and "transparency"? You don't
know the difference between a slightly dirty window and an absolutely clear
one? You'd have to have them side by side?

You couldn't tell if one was clear glass and one was slightly
rose-tinted, unless they were side by side. Ever been driving in a car
with slightly green-tinted side windows? The world loooks all normal,
until you wind the window down a little, and realise that the sky is
pink! The problem with subjectivists like you Harry, is that you don't
even *know* that your hearing, like your eyesight, is very easily
fooled.

Harry Lavo

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

What don't you understand about "never heard" and "transparency"? You
don't
know the difference between a slightly dirty window and an absolutely
clear
one? You'd have to have them side by side?

When the sun comes out full glare on both windows, I can't tell them
apart.
Under other situations, I can. Carry that over to your audio analogy.

Okay, I'll carry over. The introduction of a third, extraneous factor
causes the clear difference (pun intended) to disappear. A quick-switch,
comparative test, perhaps? \-)

Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
[...]

Well, in that case since the Brystons have *never* sounded completely
transparent to me in listening via electrostatics, and Krells do sound
transparent, then I guess the difference must be fairly large, musn't it?

BEAR wrote:

Secondly, it can be shown that high levels of global loop feedback can
and do lead to all sorts of "issues" relating to various sorts of
transient distortions, especially with reactive loads - in some cases
high levels of global loop feedback are a detriment.

The operative word is "can".

If the amplifier is properly compensated and has adequite input
headroom there is no problem. This has been known for well over
half a century except to some of the high end audio biz.

THe only disadvantage of any kind of feedback is harmonic multiplication,
which mathematically exists, but in well designed amps, it is deeply buried
in the noise. Do you suggest that such products are audible even if the
noise is inaudible?

Is most of the distortion in a typical power amp in the output stage, or
the input stage, or distributed throughout?

Assuming good design practices, open loop, it is in the output stage.
When global feedback is used, it is distributed. If someone doesn't
know that they probably shouldn't be designing amps to sell.
Harry Lavo

[...]

Okay. But that's peak power. Not coninuous.

[...]

I suspect the manufacturer might take issue with your characterizing the amp
as "never designed to drive such a load". I am sure it was not sold with
the caveat that it couldn't handle low impedance loads.

You don't understand what "real world" means?

I mean you can clearly see the distortion on a 'scope, the amp doesn't
actually change shape........... :-)

:-)

Isn't that how most of us buy and use amps? Did you need a
blind test?

Of course, since I wanted to be *sure* that what I thought I was
hearing actually existed. Mostly, it didn't.

But you bought it anyway. Such an objectivist! You're mama must be proud.

FWIW, I've heard Randy's amp driving his full range electrostatics and
subwoofer system...and I've never heard a system more transparent and
effortless.

Quite possibly - but that would be down to the speakers, not the amp.

Since when can the speakers be divorced from the amp driving them?

All the time, if the amp is adequate.

They still have to be driven by something, which is the second device (third
if you include cables) back in the system...and if that device is not
transparent compared to another, you hear it if the first component
(speakers) are transparent enough. Haven't heard an electrostat yet that
failed that test. Your point is.....?

I have heard Krells that are similarly transparent, but never Brystons.

How would you know, since you decry blind comparisons?

What don't you understand about "never heard" and "transparency"? You
don't
know the difference between a slightly dirty window and an absolutely
clear
one? You'd have to have them side by side?

You couldn't tell if one was clear glass and one was slightly
rose-tinted, unless they were side by side. Ever been driving in a car
with slightly green-tinted side windows? The world loooks all normal,
until you wind the window down a little, and realise that the sky is
pink!

Sorry, Stewart, I have *never* confused green tinted windows for clear, from
inside or out. Perhaps I just see better?? Or maybe I am more grounded in
reality and less intent on pursuing an agenda?

The problem with subjectivists like you Harry, is that you don't
even *know* that your hearing, like your eyesight, is very easily
fooled.

Oh great sir, I'm *SO* happy you've come to my rescue. Otherwise, how could
I have ever come to put together a superb system (musically) that needed no
change for the last dozen or so years, until I went to multchannel sound in
2002?

Steve Maki

BEAR wrote:

[...]

This boggles the mind.

Randy, a number of people "promised" to put money into escrow IF
someone came up to the plate. If you want to take some swings, and
terms are agreed upon, I'm sure everyone (still alive) will come
through. You don't really expect everyone to tie their money up for
years with no hitter in sight do you? That's ridiculous.

The group challenge was about cables. I was in for $1000, and still
am.

Personally, I'd be in for amps also, but can't speak for anyone else,
although AFAIK, Richard Clark's deal is still there.

Also, the notion that we should pay your expenses is not reasonable at
all - in my view, your failure to prove your claims (if it happens)
would be no more significant than anyone elses. Have you proven your
acute discerning abilities in any way? If not, why should anyone be
excited about it?

--
Steve Maki
Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Aug 2005 20:57:54 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Ok - let's try this another way:

- I have no idea who has a $10k check for an "amp" challenge? Please
supply a link or URL.

- Who supplies the transpo costs is hardly the main matter, let's avoid
that issue entirely for now. I would have thought that all of the very
vociferous "objectivists" would be glad and happy to chip in to send me
somewhere for presumed humiliation? No??

No. You're the one making all the claims, and repeating them on the
website where you sell cables of supposed sonic merit.

- I thought we were talking about the $5k cable issue/amp issue fostered
on this newsgroup. Which, afaik, still bogus since no one has ever
actually PUT UP THE MONEY.

About a dozen people have pledged sums in the $200 to $1,000 range,
and I have a separate pledge of £1,000 for UK listeners. That's about
as real as it gets, until a test is actually agreed, at which point
the cash can be handed to the agreed impartial observer.

- The test conditions MUST be appropriate in all aspects. Period. If
they can not be met, then the test as far as I am concerned is bogus and
meaningless. For example, if I want a CD player that according to
someone's opinion is "imperfect" BUT I think that it will help me hear
amp differences, then that is my perogative. Right?

Sure, the source is your choice, as is the music.

More than that, objective measurements of the system and its
components before the actual challenge test, as a system, and after the
challenge test are *essential* imho. This is time consuming and
non-trivial. Some one else's (random from my point of view) system can
not be deemed to be appropriate or sufficient just because they say so.

It's not really time-consuming, usually takes me about ten minutes for
amps, and one for cables, as level adjustments are hardly ever needed.
Just stick a voltmeter on the speaker terminals, and put in a steady
signal (I generally use a test CD), at 100, 1,000 and 10,000 Hz.
Hardly rocket science!

And you're welcome to use your own system. In fact, most of the
'objectivists' would *prefer* that you use your own system. Cuts down
the available range of the inevitable post-test excuses.......

Answer those issues, and there may be something to talk about - but of
course, no one on this group has ante'd up a penny, so it is all talk.

If someone knows this 10k$ guy you can do the preliminary discussion,
pass along what I've said, and see if he balks at any of it. Then it may
make sense to waste my time trying to see where it goes.

I'll put up $2,000 on my own recognisance.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Aug 2005 00:25:54 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

Sure, but it can continue to produce these peaks all day long.
Besides, on thrash metal with a 6dB dynamic range and lots of digital
clipping, it *is* continuous! :-)

[...]

Rated output power is 50/50 into 8 ohms at 20-20kHz, and 70/70 into 4
ohms, at 1kHz. No rating for lower loads. It's certainly not rated for
a 3-ohm load, nor is it happy driving those Duettas for extended
periods - it gets hot and shuts down.

Isn't that how most of us buy and use amps? Did you need a
blind test?

Of course, since I wanted to be *sure* that what I thought I was
hearing actually existed. Mostly, it didn't.

But you bought it anyway. Such an objectivist! You're mama must be proud.

Indeed - I bought the only one that's happy drivng the Duettas to
realistic levels. The Denon shuts down (as well as being audibly
inferior), and the Audiolab gets *way* too hot for comfort. The Krell
just sits there doing its thing and wondering what all the fuss is
about...................

FWIW, I've heard Randy's amp driving his full range electrostatics and
subwoofer system...and I've never heard a system more transparent and
effortless.

Quite possibly - but that would be down to the speakers, not the amp.

Since when can the speakers be divorced from the amp driving them?

All the time, if the amp is adequate.

They still have to be driven by something, which is the second device (third
if you include cables) back in the system...and if that device is not
transparent compared to another, you hear it if the first component
(speakers) are transparent enough. Haven't heard an electrostat yet that
failed that test. Your point is.....?

I've heard at least a dozen different amps driving Quads, they mostly
sound the same. Of course, when I'm doing such comparisons, I don't
*know* what's connected, which is the *big* difference.

[...]

I'll take that as meaning that you've never actually encountered the
situation I described above, which will work for *anyone* who has
normal colour vision. However, thanks for the great belly laugh about
you being more grounded in reality! :-)

The problem with subjectivists like you Harry, is that you don't
even *know* that your hearing, like your eyesight, is very easily
fooled.

Oh great sir, I'm *SO* happy you've come to my rescue. Otherwise, how could
I have ever come to put together a superb system (musically) that needed no
change for the last dozen or so years, until I went to multchannel sound in
2002?

Not hard really, but you probably spent *way* too much on the
electronics and cables - coulda had even better speakers! :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

Funny how the 'Golden Ears', especially the SET gang, always argue
that the 'the first watt is the most important'. Did you ever see
*anyone* suggest that you can't hear differences when one amp is
clipping? Of course not.

I do not think it is possible to do real world tests with amplifiers and
*assume* that they never clip, or that they will never see a highly
reactive load. Do you?

What indication do you have that your amplifiers NEVER clip?
More curious than ever.

Not a problem with a CD source.

Just curious.

No Randy, you're not curious at all, as we've been around these curves
many times before. I notice that you're still selling those 'Silver
Lightning' cables, and still claiming that they sound different from
standard Radio Shack fare - but you will not prove that you can
actually hear the difference yourself.

Prove? How?
What would constitute "proof"??

ABX? Done by who, where, under what controlled and measured conditions?
With what gear, at whose expense?

By you, in your own system, level-matched DBT conditions. No expense
for you under those conditions - and no post-test excuses, either.

BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

You stated that some classic topolgy tube amps measure as well as
Brystons. This simply isn't true.

Stewart, I'm not sure what the present breed of Brystons spec at, but
the KRELLs and Brystons of yore, both being the same topology typically
spec'd at ~ 0.01% THD best case. I think I am being generous here,
since I seem to recall 0.10% - but no matter.

IF you compare the spectrum of harmonics from some well designed tube
amps, and neither the ARC nor the CJ qualifies. But I'll accept the
McIntosh as an example - eliminate the anitique AC filament component
for best comparison purposes, ok? - you will likely find that the solid
state amps STILL have an apparently lower distortion spec!

That does not tell us much about what you will or will not hear. In fact
it tells us either nothing, or heads us in the WRONG direction!

To understand why this is so, look into the D.E.L. Shorter BBC papers,
and the newer, but surprisingly similar GedLee Metric (JAES) papers. In
our example, and in practical terms the McIntosh is substantially LOWER
in perceptible distortion.

(...yes, we have to ignore bass response and DF at the moment...)

It is valid to posit that IF the solid state distortion was in fact
reduced by a few decimal places that it would in practical terms be
lower in perceptible distortion than the McIntosh - however FEW power
amps actually *suceed* in doing this trick into real world loads! This
is where the problem lies.

If you look at the Halcro patent - which is in turn derivative of the
Hawksford idea - you can see what it takes to pull off this trick in a
real world amplifier that drives real world loads. And even then, I'm
not so sure exactly how sucessful this topology is in all respects.

This is a summary of the objectivists/researchers/scientists view on the
matter as it stands in the literature today.

Time for you all to come up to date on this issue.

_-_-

"Well, in that case since the Brystons have *never* sounded completely
transparent to me in listening via electrostatics, and Krells do sound
transparent, then I guess the difference must be fairly large, musn't it?"

Who knows, but a listening alone test would let us know quickly enough.
Then if you could note a difference, any difference, then we could then go
the extra step to measure them to see what level of difference might have
risen above the threshold of audibility. If a difference cann't
beestablished with the listening alone test any other considerations are
mute.

BEAR wrote:

The key word in your assertion is "inaudible". To reply upon a
presumption that the harmonics of a given amp will be in fact
"inaudible" when faced with real world loads is not a good bet.

I can see where this is headed, and I don't intend to get involved in
another endless irrational debate with a subjectivist about audibility.
Suffice it to say that the weight of empirical evidence is not on
your side, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Could you please go back a post and address the specific questions I
raised about this topic? Looks like ur ducking the issue.

What issue are you talking about?
Mike in NC

BEAR wrote:

Stewart, I'm not sure what the present breed of Brystons spec at, but
the KRELLs and Brystons of yore, both being the same topology typically
spec'd at ~ 0.01% THD best case. I think I am being generous here,
since I seem to recall 0.10% - but no matter.

You are off by quite a bit.

The checkout sheet that came with my B14 SST shows measured
THD (at full rated power into 4 ohms) of 0.0029% at 20 Hz and
200 Hz, 0.0036% at 2 kHz, and 0.0061% at 20 kHz. IM
distortion was measured at 0.0036%.

Output power at clipping was 955 wrms per channel. Noise
level, -117 dB.

Many who have heard the Bryston SST line say that they sound
better than previous models. Perhaps that is due to the lower
distortion levels -- I couldn't say.
Mike in NC
On the North Carolina coast
BEAR

Mike in NC wrote:

BEAR wrote:

Stewart, I'm not sure what the present breed of Brystons spec at, but
the KRELLs and Brystons of yore, both being the same topology typically
spec'd at ~ 0.01% THD best case. I think I am being generous here,
since I seem to recall 0.10% - but no matter.

You are off by quite a bit.

The checkout sheet that came with my B14 SST shows measured
THD (at full rated power into 4 ohms) of 0.0029% at 20 Hz and
200 Hz, 0.0036% at 2 kHz, and 0.0061% at 20 kHz. IM
distortion was measured at 0.0036%.

We're discussing a different Bryston product.

And there really isn't much difference between the .0061% figure and
0.01%...

It would be instructional to learn how Bryston has changed their design
and topology. Could the reduced overall distortion be due to an
increased number of devices alone?

Output power at clipping was 955 wrms per channel. Noise
level, -117 dB.

Really? 955 watts... into what load?

Many who have heard the Bryston SST line say that they sound
better than previous models. Perhaps that is due to the lower
distortion levels -- I couldn't say.
Mike in NC
On the North Carolina coast

FYI, I was discussing the "classic Krell" KSA line with the original
Bryston line. Both share the same topology.

_-_-bear
BEAR

BEAR wrote:

The key word in your assertion is "inaudible". To reply upon a
presumption that the harmonics of a given amp will be in fact
"inaudible" when faced with real world loads is not a good bet.

I can see where this is headed, and I don't intend to get involved in
another endless irrational debate with a subjectivist about audibility.
Suffice it to say that the weight of empirical evidence is not on
your side, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

No you don't seem to understand "where this is headed" at all.
The point is that the latest research has shown fairly clearly that raw
distortion figures simply do not tell much of anything about the
audibility or lack thereof when it comes to amplfiers. The latest
research *does correlate* acutal empirical measurements with audibility
of distortion components.

The *fact* remains that some signals are audible even when *below* the
actual noise floor. In such a case, they would be audible even if those
signals are distortion products.

Or do you wish to disagree with this?

Could you please go back a post and address the specific questions I
raised about this topic? Looks like ur ducking the issue.

What issue are you talking about?

QUOTE:

Secondly, it can be shown that high levels of global loop feedback can
and do lead to all sorts of "issues" relating to various sorts of
transient distortions, especially with reactive loads - in some cases
high levels of global loop feedback are a detriment.

Is most of the distortion in a typical power amp in the output stage, or
the input stage, or distributed throughout?

I wonder then what your position is on the Hawksford type output stage
vs. something like a Krell output stage, in light of the above issues?

Looking forward to your response on this.

_-_-bear

BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 26 Aug 2005 20:54:50 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 23 Aug 2005 02:47:17 GMT, wrote:

"In which case, all "well-designed" amplifiers are NOT the same depending
upon the load?"

The stipulation has always been that two amps driven within their linear
design goals will sound no different. Low z loads can exceed that of some
amps and be the source of differences that rise above thresholds of
audibility.

Quite so, which fells them at the first fence for ABX comparison.

Given that this issue in practice limits many amplifiers to an *average*
output of perhaps 1 to 5 watts, you might be correct? This assumes a
peak to average ratio for most high quality digital source recordings of
~20dB. Ya wouldn't wannna clip 'em, not even for a microsecond, since
that just might make the "differences" audible, eh? :- )

Correct - and into most speakers, that's a pretty high listening
level. Nice try, but of course you already knew this, so it's just
more smoke and mirrors. Time to step up to the plate.

Let's do some math Stew. How high a listening level does it take to clip
a 100 watt amp? Lets consider if it is played through speakers of a
typical low sensitivity, audiophile style (let's say 82-86dB SPL) at the
average in room listening level of 90dB at a distance of say 3 meters
away? Let's agree that many classical pieces (and others) have a ratio
of average to peak levels of 20 dB.

Step up to the plate.

Waiting for your answer.

_-_-bear
BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 23:50:42 GMT, BEAR wrote:

No Randy, you're not curious at all, as we've been around these curves
many times before. I notice that you're still selling those 'Silver
Lightning' cables, and still claiming that they sound different from
standard Radio Shack fare - but you will not prove that you can
actually hear the difference yourself.

Prove? How?
What would constitute "proof"??

ABX? Done by who, where, under what controlled and measured conditions?
With what gear, at whose expense?

By you, in your own system, level-matched DBT conditions. No expense
for you under those conditions - and no post-test excuses, either.

Fine, c'mon over and test.

The rest of the post is more wrangling over things that no one really
cares about. Since I don't own a SET amp, I don't care who argues what
about it actually. But I do have speakers that would work fine on a few
watts of power, they're real horns. :- )

_-_-bear
BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:

BEAR wrote:

[...]

It is possible to put the money up without actually having it physically
removed from your bank account. The terms of the escrow are not fixed.
Ask someone who works with this stuff.

Think of it like "bail bond"... or a legal promisory note.

The KEY is that there is not ONE thing solid about people who post to
newsgroups or forums - nothing binding or compelling.

Thus, this is just so much self-righteous noise.

The group challenge was about cables. I was in for $1000, and still
am.

Personally, I'd be in for amps also, but can't speak for anyone else,
although AFAIK, Richard Clark's deal is still there.

Also, the notion that we should pay your expenses is not reasonable at
all - in my view, your failure to prove your claims (if it happens)
would be no more significant than anyone elses. Have you proven your
acute discerning abilities in any way? If not, why should anyone be
excited about it?

Excited? Say what? Who cares if anyone is excited about what I think or
say?

People who have made much noise on rahe about "objectivist" certainty
have given the appearance that they wish to control the test, the test
conditions and the test site up until now.

If that has changed, it is news to me.

The vociferous and righteous reactionary "objectivist" group on rahe
has made the alleged "challenge." I challenge them to codify it in
reality, at least before claiming it exists in reality. Otherwise it is
less certain than the existance of audible differences in copper
crystals. See?

_-_-bear

PS. I find it really FUNNY and IRONIC that everywhere except for this
forum, people think I am mostly an "objectivist"! It's only on RAHE that
I am not "objectivist" enough to suit these neo-objectivists.

BEAR wrote:
wrote:

BEAR wrote:

[...]

When have I said that raw distorion figures are a barometer? I've never
said that.

As I clearly stated previously, if the noise is inaudible, something
below it is going to be inaudible. Signals below audible noise are certainly
audible, that's ancient news. Do you have any empirical evidence that products
below inaudible noise are audible? If so, I'm really interested to know about
it.

You're probably playing with delusion if you think that the folks working
on these newer distortion detection techniques are questioning the validity
of the blind listening protocols, but maybe I'm wrong. Show one that does.

Secondly, it can be shown that high levels of global loop feedback can
and do lead to all sorts of "issues" relating to various sorts of
transient distortions, especially with reactive loads - in some cases
high levels of global loop feedback are a detriment.

Is most of the distortion in a typical power amp in the output stage, or
the input stage, or distributed throughout?

I wonder then what your position is on the Hawksford type output stage
vs. something like a Krell output stage, in light of the above issues?

I agree with in-situ testing and have never stated otherwise. I think
refinements in modern amplifiers that are designed to be technically accurate
(as opposed to SET's) are interesting and fun to design and experiment with,
but I'm not conviced they provide any audible benefit with most speakers,
as empirical evidence is lacking. The exceptions being are cases of driving
unusual loads such as very low impedance electrostatics, ribbons like
the Apogee Scintilla and stuff like that. There can be lots of differences
between amplifiers with such speakers. The Scintilla for example, was
discontinued because most amplifiers wouldn't drive it properly and nobody
has dared to make a speaker like that for the commericial market since.

There are a lot of other issues in audio that are more effective for
improving sound quality than concentrating on almost hard to drive
fringe type speakers and amplifiers that might drive them well. Recordings,
speaker refinement, (without resulting in difficult loads) speaker placement,
room acoustics and correction to name a few. How about soundfield
reconstruction in multichannel? I'm looking for excellent overall reproduction
of music and sound, not just amplifiers that will drive a .5 ohm load that is
dynamically reactive in a stable and linear manner. I like the design ideas
in your amps, but they are overkill in most situations. For those that need
them, carry on!

Steve Maki

On 27 Aug 2005 22:48:39 GMT, BEAR wrote:

This boggles the mind.

Randy, a number of people "promised" to put money into escrow IF
someone came up to the plate. If you want to take some swings, and
terms are agreed upon, I'm sure everyone (still alive) will come
through. You don't really expect everyone to tie their money up for
years with no hitter in sight do you? That's ridiculous.

It is possible to put the money up without actually having it physically
removed from your bank account. The terms of the escrow are not fixed.
Ask someone who works with this stuff.

Think of it like "bail bond"... or a legal promisory note.

The KEY is that there is not ONE thing solid about people who post to
newsgroups or forums - nothing binding or compelling.

Correct. So it would seem that it would be best to have a process
where the parties proceed at a roughly even pace. If someone seems
serious about trying the challenge, and preliminaries are agreed
upon, the money part can be taken care of. At that point, not much
effort has been spent by anyone.

Thus, this is just so much self-righteous noise.

Not in my view.

The group challenge was about cables. I was in for $1000, and still
am.

Personally, I'd be in for amps also, but can't speak for anyone else,
although AFAIK, Richard Clark's deal is still there.

Also, the notion that we should pay your expenses is not reasonable at
all - in my view, your failure to prove your claims (if it happens)
would be no more significant than anyone elses. Have you proven your
acute discerning abilities in any way? If not, why should anyone be
excited about it?

People who have made much noise on rahe about "objectivist" certainty
have given the appearance that they wish to control the test, the test
conditions and the test site up until now.

If that has changed, it is news to me.

Where in the world did you get that idea? I think everyone would
prefer that it happen in your normal system, or a system of your
choosing; and in fact, the test itself can be designed by you
as long as it meets standard DBT protocols. Any other way creates
a built-in excuse.

The vociferous and righteous reactionary "objectivist" group on rahe
has made the alleged "challenge." I challenge them to codify it in
reality, at least before claiming it exists in reality. Otherwise it is
less certain than the existance of audible differences in copper
crystals. See?

What I see is that you are perhaps engaging in a little Fighting Fire
With Fire. That's OK, but any serious negotiations would need to be
toned down a bit.

Steve Maki

Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Aug 2005 21:02:29 GMT, BEAR wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 23:44:49 GMT, wrote:

"Personally, I have never heard a Bryston that didn't sound hard,"

The perfect candidate to take the $5000 standing prize for demonstrating
the ability to hear a difference, any difference, in the type of amps
mentioned in this thread.

We've danced this dance before, but the music always stops before
Randy gets on the floor. Randy will make lots of noise, but he will
eventually duck the challenge on some pretext - even though he sells
'audiophile' cables, never mind amplifiers. Check out his 'BEAR Labs'
website to get a better idea of what this guy is *really* about....

Hmmm... I thought this sort of post was not going to be permitted any more?

Why not? An obviously true statement, especially one based on the
history of this newsgroup, tends to get through the moderators.

Well, everyone please do look at my website.

And, Stewie, where is THE MONEY THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY PUT UP FOR THIS
GROUPS CHALLENGE? Nowhere. All talk, no action, eh?

It's earning interest in my savings account. When an actual test time
and place is agreed, it can be handed to the agreed impartial
observer. So far, there's been nothing but hand-waving and excuses
from you.

Pretext? No MONEY in a *challenge* that you and the others of your ilk
dreamed up, but failed to make real?? That's a pretext??

The pretext is you claiming that the money doesn't exist.

No agreement to do OBJECTIVE TESTING of the system used in your
"definitive" ABX tests? That's a pretext??

What kind of objective tests? That was never going to be a problem.
What's wrong with using your own system?

You're a funny person, Pinkerton.

Well, I'm good fun to be around........ :-)

And, btw, I take roughly a year or so mostly off from rahe, and you
and some others are still beating the same old dead horse? Why? For the
"truth"? Do you truly believe you have "the truth" in hand, and that you
are the only ones who know it?? Do you?

Oh no, *lots* of people are well aware of it, thank goodness. It's
only those who buy 'high end' audio gear (like your Silver Lightning
cables) who *don't* know it, and that's a *tiny* minority of music
listeners.

Harry Lavo

[...]

Euwwh, what taste! :-) However, if this is your cup of tea...why didn't
you buy Brystons at 200wpc? Using a fifty watt amp driving heavy metal to
continuous maximum output in a large room is insane to begin with. Still
would have cost you less, and we know it sounds the same, right?

[...]

The Denon is not exactly a natural pairing for the Duettas. Again, what
happened to Brystons. Or Hafler 220's. Or all those other higher powered
ones that "sound the same". They *were* rated down to two ohms.

Isn't that how most of us buy and use amps? Did you need a
blind test?

Of course, since I wanted to be *sure* that what I thought I was
hearing actually existed. Mostly, it didn't.

But you bought it anyway. Such an objectivist! You're mama must be
proud.

Indeed - I bought the only one that's happy drivng the Duettas to
realistic levels. The Denon shuts down (as well as being audibly
inferior), and the Audiolab gets *way* too hot for comfort. The Krell
just sits there doing its thing and wondering what all the fuss is
about...................

Seems that your comparison list was a bit selective and "short".

[...]

Then again, if most "sound the same" why was one that was among the most
expensive and lowest-powered your final choice?

[...]

It would be better if you take the meaning I offered, rather than conjuring
up your own...."I have *never* confused green tinted windows for clear, from
inside or out. " Catch my drift?

The problem with subjectivists like you Harry, is that you don't
even *know* that your hearing, like your eyesight, is very easily
fooled.

Oh great sir, I'm *SO* happy you've come to my rescue. Otherwise, how
could
I have ever come to put together a superb system (musically) that needed
no
change for the last dozen or so years, until I went to multchannel sound
in
2002?

Not hard really, but you probably spent *way* too much on the
electronics and cables - coulda had even better speakers! :-)

Let's see. $3000 of demo Audio Research gear amortized over 20 years
equals...hmm, gosh, $150 per year? Outrageous.

And the $0 bucks I had invested in gifted Purist Audio cables sure set me
back a bundle...never should have accepted that gift from my audiophile
buddy, should I have?

That demo Phillips 880 CD player that satisfied me for twelve years surely
was too expensive, even if it is a classic, right?

And yeah, I agree, those Magnapans, IMF Monitors, and Thiel full-rangers are
sure dogmeat. Why didn't I upgrade them?

Competence in choosing equipment...yep, without blind tests...does not
equate to dollars, Stewart. Despite your assertions to the contrary.

Stewart Pinkerton

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

I don't need to come over - *you* are the one who'll be taking the
test. We just need to agree on the conditions and the third-party
observer.

BEAR

Steve Maki wrote:

[...]

Not sure what "standard" protocols consist of.
Don't want to guess, right?

These need to be CLEARLY DEFINED by those who are MAKING THE CHALLENGE,
and POSTED, preferably to a WEBSITE so that they can be read and
considered by prospective "challengers."

Posts to this newsgroup are transitory and lack the weight and gravitas
of a hardcopy or website posting with the requisite information therein.

The vociferous and righteous reactionary "objectivist" group on rahe
has made the alleged "challenge." I challenge them to codify it in
reality, at least before claiming it exists in reality. Otherwise it is
less certain than the existance of audible differences in copper
crystals. See?

What I see is that you are perhaps engaging in a little Fighting Fire
With Fire. That's OK, but any serious negotiations would need to be
toned down a bit.

Steve Maki

Start a new thread once anyone actually organizes and creates a bona
fide challenge fund. Then post it to a website set up for that purpose,
at least.

Until then, I call upon everyone to cease, desist and stop claiming that
such a fund or challenge exists except as a concept or nice idea.

_-_-bear
BEAR

BEAR wrote:

wrote:

BEAR wrote:

[...]

Your statements imply that below some "low" figure for raw "distortion"
that everything is therefore inaudible - ergo all amplifiers below some
threshold based on the raw distortion figures are going to sound the
same, since there will be no audible distortion, no?

Or else, there is some other criteria to use?
If so, please explain.

As I clearly stated previously, if the noise is inaudible, something
below it is going to be inaudible.

A nice statement, but somewhat circular in the reasoning department?
What does this mean in practical terms?
How do *you* determine that a given DUT is going to have "inaudible"
artifacts/distortion?

Signals below audible noise are certainly
audible, that's ancient news. Do you have any empirical evidence that products
below inaudible noise are audible? If so, I'm really interested to know about
it.

Again, circular reasoning, since it is a tautology that something that
is postulated as inaudible will be inaudible. Silly.

You're probably playing with delusion if you think that the folks working
on these newer distortion detection techniques are questioning the validity
of the blind listening protocols, but maybe I'm wrong. Show one that does.

Blind listening protocols?
What are they?

I know of no documentary information that makes the present "protocols"
meaningful in that there are sufficient controls and measurements of the
system itself (that is being used as the barometer of "audibility" of
some sonic stimulus) which indicates that the system is even *capable*
of reproducing the requisite differential sonic information: to wit,
fraught with built in distortions and other limitations which make such
discriminations impossible, *assuming* the subjects were capable of
making such distinctions under the test conditions (another topic which
has been beaten to death to no avail).

Statistical validity of flawed tests produces nothing of a definitive
nature regarding the alleged "factor being tested."

[...]

So, the short answer is that you don't know why the Krell output stage
is going to measure differently than the Bryston of the same era, even
though the circuit is essentially identical?

You have no idea what the relative merits or tradeoffs in a Hawksford
type output stage might be vs. a Krell output stage, or which one will
measure better or worse?

There are a lot of other issues in audio that are more effective for
improving sound quality than concentrating on almost hard to drive
fringe type speakers and amplifiers that might drive them well. Recordings,
speaker refinement, (without resulting in difficult loads) speaker placement,
room acoustics and correction to name a few. How about soundfield
reconstruction in multichannel? I'm looking for excellent overall reproduction
of music and sound, not just amplifiers that will drive a .5 ohm load that is
dynamically reactive in a stable and linear manner. I like the design ideas
in your amps, but they are overkill in most situations. For those that need
them, carry on!

The point, my friend, is that the interface between a "standard"
high-end or consumer speaker and a given amplifier is *not at all
simple* and not at all straighforward in terms of the sonic results.

Just to season the pudding a bit, you seem to agree that there is some
"threshold" above which (no matter how simplistically or complex the
definition of said "threshold" may be) you can and *will* hear the
effect of "distortion." It is not a far leap to consider the *additive*
effect of the average speaker's distortion in *best case* being for the
sake of argument *just below or at the threshold of detection* - with
the understanding that with increases in level *most* common drivers
increase in linear and especially non-linear distortions substantially
increasing with greater levels - and that amplifiers will *also*
increase substantially in distortion with level AND with variations in
load impedance and phase angle (which, btw non-feedback amps are far
less sensitive to this effect... fyi) SO one can see that given the
right conditions, which often occur, amplifier/speaker combinations
*can* and *do* reach into that zone of "threshold".

How often is the question.

My view is that it happens far more often than most people and systems
are likely to make recognize. Merely "accepting" that this is how things
are supposed to sound is what I have observed to be the case most often.

The reason that the large "overkill" flagship amplifier that I build is
built like that is that this design *reduces* the likelyhood of such
events (reaching the threshold of audible distortion) ever occurring.
You can hear that difference when it is presented as a choice. DBT or not.

If the system &/or amplifier(s) being utilized in the DBT or other
listening "test" *both* fail to limit themselves in terms of additive
distortion(s), depending on the similarity or lack of similarity of this
"failure" one may or may not be able to detect which is which.

However, if one has had extensive experience with extremely low
distortion *systems* one is more likely to simply be able to state that
the thing just doesn't sound that good, or isn't sufficiently capable.

It is extremely difficult to a) hear what is missing and b) hear past
anything that serves to mask subtle detail - and that includes
physiological "hearing shift". (ie. don't try a listening test after
driving 20 miles... etc.)

Let me just add that *most* speakers are NOT particularly low distortion
devices, so it is then reasonable to say that sufficiently low
distortion amps are sufficient, OR that suitably euphonic amplifiers are
a *benefit*. There *are* some speakers and drivers that are notably low
in distortion, (and there are all sorts of factors to take into account
in speakers) but these are still relatively few and far between - not
commonly found in the audiophile's LR.

Start listening through speakers with the *lowest* available distortion
and your opinion of what is audible and what is not is likely to shift
somewhat, if not change outright (assuming that you and I still have
some HF response left...) :- )

Start by considering tweeters. Work from there.

_-_-bear

BEAR wrote:

Your statements imply that below some "low" figure for raw "distortion"
that everything is therefore inaudible - ergo all amplifiers below some
threshold based on the raw distortion figures are going to sound the
same, since there will be no audible distortion, no?

You're implying that there are no known thresholds for human hearing, which
is absolute nonsense no matter what you say, and I'm not going to argue about
it. Furthermore, I and others have not singled out 'distortion' as the only
parameter of audible performance as there are linear and non linear
distortions and they all have different levels and conditions where they
generally become audible.

As I clearly stated previously, if the noise is inaudible, something
below it is going to be inaudible.

A nice statement, but somewhat circular in the reasoning department?
What does this mean in practical terms?
How do *you* determine that a given DUT is going to have "inaudible"
artifacts/distortion?

Read the literature on human perception and use the methods that have been
developed to find out. Have you invented a better way? What is it? One
would think that you would have presented it somplace far more important
than here if you have.

You're probably playing with delusion if you think that the folks working
on these newer distortion detection techniques are questioning the validity
of the blind listening protocols, but maybe I'm wrong. Show one that does.

Blind listening protocols?
What are they?

(lol) You can posture better than that!

I know of no documentary information that makes the present "protocols"
meaningful...

Then you should read the literature on human hearing perception and
physiology. You can start with the books by Brian Moore. Zwicker and
Fastl has a lot on the physiology. You won't find much about the protocols
themselves in those books, but they will give you the background to understand
why they are accepted and valid in audio research and will point you where
you need to go. You should also read literature that's up to date, not old
stuff espousing discarded theories like cochlear amplifiers. Don't expect
a bumper sticker approach to yield much wisdom. They certainly are not
accepted as valid in high end audio MARKETING and for good reason.

So, the short answer is that you don't know why the Krell output stage
is going to measure differently than the Bryston of the same era, even
though the circuit is essentially identical?

The basic topology is the same, as you say. They use different circuit
enhancement details, devices, part values, operating points, etc.

You have no idea what the relative merits or tradeoffs in a Hawksford
type output stage might be vs. a Krell output stage, or which one will
measure better or worse?

I've never built or tested a Hawksford output stage, but have built power supply
buffers using the Sziklai circuit. It has some additional internal feedback
intrinsic to the circuit itself, with the resultant advantages and disadvantages.
(mostly an advantage depending on what you're after) It is more prone to
oscillations, but those problems can usually be solved. The pertanent question
is: is it necessary to go to the trouble to do this in practical terms?

[...]

I can't disagree, except about the 'often' part.

My view is that it happens far more often than most people and systems
are likely to make recognize. Merely "accepting" that this is how things
are supposed to sound is what I have observed to be the case most often.

The reason that the large "overkill" flagship amplifier that I build is
built like that is that this design *reduces* the likelyhood of such
events (reaching the threshold of audible distortion) ever occurring.
You can hear that difference when it is presented as a choice. DBT or not.

DBT? Then step up to the plate and show it now that you've made the
claim. I would be very impressed if you could. However whenever you're
asked this, you get evasive. What's to fear if you're so confident about
it? Use your system or any other you deem to be revealing enough. Let's
do it!

If the system &/or amplifier(s) being utilized in the DBT or other
listening "test" *both* fail to limit themselves in terms of additive
distortion(s), depending on the similarity or lack of similarity of this
"failure" one may or may not be able to detect which is which.

I totally agree. The rest of the system should not hinder the test.

However, if one has had extensive experience with extremely low
distortion *systems* one is more likely to simply be able to state that
the thing just doesn't sound that good, or isn't sufficiently capable.

No, that's not a reliable way to do audio testing, but maybe the best way
to find out what you like.

It is extremely difficult to a) hear what is missing and b) hear past
anything that serves to mask subtle detail - and that includes
physiological "hearing shift". (ie. don't try a listening test after
driving 20 miles... etc.)

You conflicting several issues here but I totally agree with what's in the
parentheses. I always wear earplugs when driving long distances.

Let me just add that *most* speakers are NOT particularly low distortion
devices, so it is then reasonable to say that sufficiently low
distortion amps are sufficient, OR that suitably euphonic amplifiers are
a *benefit*. There *are* some speakers and drivers that are notably low
in distortion, (and there are all sorts of factors to take into account
in speakers) but these are still relatively few and far between - not
commonly found in the audiophile's LR.

Start listening through speakers with the *lowest* available distortion
and your opinion of what is audible and what is not is likely to shift
somewhat, if not change outright (assuming that you and I still have
some HF response left...) :- )

Start by considering tweeters. Work from there.

All speakers are pretty bad really, but that's what we have. Recordings are
even worse. The best speaker I've ever heard was John Iverson's so-called
'force field' which had no bass and wouldn't play over about 75dB. It had
some documented frequency response irregularities, (as did a flame speaker
a friend built) but I've never heard anything so clean and transparent in
the midrange and high frequencies since. I don't know if any distortion
measurements were ever done on them and I'm not familiar with any such data
on other massless speakers experimenters have built. Are you?
Steve Maki

On 28 Aug 2005 21:35:44 GMT, BEAR wrote:

People who have made much noise on rahe about "objectivist" certainty
have given the appearance that they wish to control the test, the test
conditions and the test site up until now.

If that has changed, it is news to me.

Where in the world did you get that idea? I think everyone would
prefer that it happen in your normal system, or a system of your
choosing; and in fact, the test itself can be designed by you
as long as it meets standard DBT protocols. Any other way creates
a built-in excuse.

Not sure what "standard" protocols consist of.
Don't want to guess, right?

I don't need to guess, the main requirement is only that the test be
double blind. And in the case of electronics, the usual caveats about
level matching and not clipping, etc.

These need to be CLEARLY DEFINED by those who are MAKING THE CHALLENGE,
and POSTED, preferably to a WEBSITE so that they can be read and
considered by prospective "challengers."

Start a new thread once anyone actually organizes and creates a bona
fide challenge fund. Then post it to a website set up for that purpose,
at least.

Until then, I call upon everyone to cease, desist and stop claiming that
such a fund or challenge exists except as a concept or nice idea.

I don't call that an "even pace".

Randy, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get us (well, me at least) to
the "funding" stage. The scenario I see for this is for someone (like
you for instance, but I don't mean this as a personal challege to you)
to offer up a proposal, stating what units they would like to compare,
and a brief description of the method they'd like to use to prove that
they can differentiate by sound alone.

The goal is to absolutely minimize post test complaints about methodology
- we've been through this all before you know.

Steve Maki
BEAR

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 27 Aug 2005 22:46:32 GMT, BEAR wrote:

I don't need to come over - *you* are the one who'll be taking the
test. We just need to agree on the conditions and the third-party
observer.

Sure, sounds easy enough to me.

But don't forget to put the MONEY in the ESCROW account?
You seem to have left that part out.

Who will be this mysterious "third party observer?"

And, what are your proposed "conditions"?
They need to be codified into a DOCUMENT, so that I can sue for the
money given the failure to "fork it over", with a basis. :- )

Said document can be hard copy, signed, or on a website with the money
in an Escrow held by a legal entity bound by the terms and conditons
specified and agreed upon.

Should I not find one or more of the "conditions" satisfactory, I would
merely decline to participate in the test.

_-_-bear

Stewart Pinkerton

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

Either 104dB or 125dB, for the range of available 'hi-fi' speakers.
But of course, you knew that.

Lets consider if it is played through speakers of a
typical low sensitivity, audiophile style (let's say 82-86dB SPL) at the
average in room listening level of 90dB at a distance of say 3 meters
away? Let's agree that many classical pieces (and others) have a ratio
of average to peak levels of 20 dB.

Actually, the current average is 87dB/w/m, so giving 107dB for peak
SPL under anechoic conditions, or around 110-113dB at the listening
position in an average listening room for a stereo pair, which is
pretty darned loud.

In fact, due to my nominally 84dB/w/m speakers being dipoles, and my
'50 watt' Krell pumping out a max of 27.4 volts rms into my speakers,
that's just about exactly what I get from my own system, and I don't
get many complaints that it won't play loudly enough.

Norman M. Schwartz

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

In fact, due to my nominally 84dB/w/m speakers being dipoles, and my
'50 watt' Krell pumping out a max of 27.4 volts rms into my speakers,
that's just about exactly what I get from my own system, and I don't
get many complaints that it won't play loudly enough.
--

Many years ago an audio and concert going friend of mine was very careful
about high volumes damaging the ribbons in the his original Apogee. Do you