Eric

Default CD player/Receiver interconnect

Group,

I just got a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver and a Sony SCD-C2000ES CD/SACD
changer. The changer has digital optical and coaxial outputs. The receiver
has an assignable coaxial CD/SACD digital input. My questions:

1) Is it more likely that the ES receiver has an internal D/A converter
for this signal, or is this connection only for switching (like to
a MD recorder?) Do you think I can listen to CDs with *only* the
coaxial digital connection, or is the analog connection needed, too.
[I don't have a coaxial optical connector, so I can't "just try it."]

2) If, indeed, the ES receiver has a D/A converter, which is likely to
be better - the CD/SACD changer D/A converter, or the ES receiver D/A
converter? Would just using the digital coaxial interconnect be an
advantage over using the analog coaxial digital interconnect?

Sorry, but both the manuals are woefully inadequate in this regard, and
Sony's "tech support" answered my email inquiry with a form e-letter.

Thanks for your opinions.
Kalman Rubinson

1. You can listen to CDs with only this single coax/optical digital
connection since the receiver has on-board DACs for this purpose. You
cannot listen to SACDs via this link.

2. I cannot answer your question about which DAC is superior but you
can decide for yourself after you get the digital cable connected.

3. There is no such thing as an "analog coaxial digital
interconnect."

Kal

On 27 Jun 2005 20:29:08 GMT, Eric wrote:

[...]

Philip Müller

Hello Eric

Usually the DAC in the CD Player is better if both units are from the
same price range.

Regards
Philip