larrylook

Default Audio out from computer to stereo

I have a 1 year old Gateway with Win XP 2 ghz processor and standard sound
card that came with it. I want to run sound out from computer to a stereo
receiver. I tried radio shack cable with headphone (male stereo end)
plugged into headphone jack on speakers of the computer and connected the
other end (2 rca jacks) to the receiver, but volume is low and I'm not
happy. I can turn computer volume up to 10, but if I accidentally pull out
the cable the computer is way too loud (very disurbing to ears.) The output
of the sound card has 3 jacks (blue for headphone, pink and light green.
Right now the pink and light green jacks are used for the computer speakers
(the male ends that plug into them look "stereo")

In short how do I get sound out of my computer to receiver that isn't too
low in volume for receiver unless computer turned up to 10 in volume? Do I
need to play around with sound card properties i see under volume, there are
speaker settings advance. What do I set this at, and what plugs do I
utilize. Appreciate any help.

Richard Crowley

"larrylook" wrote ...
I have a 1 year old Gateway with Win XP 2 ghz processor
and standard sound card that came with it. I want to run
sound out from computer to a stereo receiver. I tried radio
shack cable with headphone (male stereo end) plugged into
headphone jack on speakers of the computer and connected
the other end (2 rca jacks) to the receiver, but volume is low
and I'm not happy. ....

You have one equation and three unknowns. Plug the cable
directly into the line output (or speaker output if you have
no line output). After you have done that experiment, report
back for further suggestions.
ptaylor

Richard Crowley wrote:
"larrylook" wrote ...

I have a 1 year old Gateway with Win XP 2 ghz processor and standard
sound card that came with it. I want to run sound out from computer
to a stereo receiver. I tried radio shack cable with headphone (male
stereo end) plugged into headphone jack on speakers of the computer
and connected the other end (2 rca jacks) to the receiver, but volume
is low
and I'm not happy. ....

You have one equation and three unknowns. Plug the cable
directly into the line output (or speaker output if you have
no line output). After you have done that experiment, report
back for further suggestions.

The common (not really "standard,some boards,etc vary) is
red/pink for microphone input
blue for line input
and green for speaker/headphone/line output.

I've noticed all of my soundcards drive PC speakers,or headphones just
fine,but the volume always seems low when connected to my stereo preamp.

larrylook

"ptaylor" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:
"larrylook" wrote ...

[...]

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a headphone
jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but volume is too low.

Paul

"larrylook" wrote in message

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a headphone
jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but volume is too
low.

Blue is normally line in. Light green would be line out, and pink the
microphone input. Puzzled to hear that you're getting headphones output on
blue.

Paul

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:39:56 -0500, "larrylook"
wrote:

[...]

You need a Line Out from the computer.
Many on-board computer sound systems now have software-configurable
ports, allowing the same sockets to act as surround outputs, Mic or
Line inputs, Headphone or Line outputs. Look at the control panel
for your sound system. It may be in the System Tray, it may be in
Control Panel. See what options you are offered.

Failing this, an output that feeds a powered speaker is more use to
you than a headphone output.
Arny Krueger

"larrylook" wrote in message

I have a 1 year old Gateway with Win XP 2 ghz processor and standard
sound card that came with it. I want to run sound out from computer
to a stereo receiver. I tried radio shack cable with headphone (male
stereo end) plugged into headphone jack on speakers of the computer
and connected the other end (2 rca jacks) to the receiver, but volume
is low and I'm not happy. I can turn computer volume up to 10, but
if I accidentally pull out the cable the computer is way too loud
(very disurbing to ears.) The output of the sound card has 3 jacks
(blue for headphone, pink and light green. Right now the pink and
light green jacks are used for the computer speakers (the male ends
that plug into them look "stereo")

The green jacks are THE output of the audio interface in the computer. If
you have two different audio systems to drive, the right thing to do is to
put in a splitter or a routing switch in place.

In short how do I get sound out of my computer to receiver that isn't
too low in volume for receiver unless computer turned up to 10 in
volume?

Seems like there is some mismatch in the sensitivity of your computer
speakers and your receiver. Most computer speakers get way too loud if you
turn their volume up all the way. This is by design, so there's some reserve
volume for audio interfaces that have really low output.

So, why not turn down the volume control on your computer speakers and then
turn up the computer volume control to match the needs of your receiver?

If there's no volume control on your computer speakers, get some that do
have a volume control?

Do I need to play around with sound card properties i see
under volume, there are speaker settings advance. What do I set this
at, and what plugs do I utilize. Appreciate any help.

The speaker settings relate to more subtle aspects than just loudness. For
example if you pick the headphones option, some channel mixing is used to
try to eliminate the "hole in the middle" that some people perceive while
listening through headphones.

Arny Krueger

"Paul" wrote in message

"larrylook" wrote in message

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a
headphone jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but
volume is too low.

Blue is normally line in.

Agreed.

Light green would be line out,

Agreed.

and pink the microphone input.

Agreed.

Puzzled to hear that you're getting headphones output on blue.

Some new computer audio interfaces actually auto-sense the kind of device
that each jack is connected to, and try try to adjust their circuitry and
connections to match what they auto-sense.

I've never tried it, but I can imagine how one of these new smart audio
interfaces might sense that there's a low impedance load on the blue jack,
and route an output of the audio interface to it.

This document may shed further light on this kind of featu

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...pamodel=ALC850

Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message

You need a Line Out from the computer.

Agreed.

Many on-board computer sound systems now have software-configurable
ports, allowing the same sockets to act as surround outputs, Mic or
Line inputs, Headphone or Line outputs.

Not only that, but as you probably have noticed, they auto-sense what they
are connected to, and try to make some logical determinations on their own.

Look at the control panel
for your sound system. It may be in the System Tray, it may be in
Control Panel. See what options you are offered.

The particular machine I'm typing on has Realtek's implmentation of this
feature. The control panel icon is somewhat cryptically titled "Sound Effect
Manager".

Failing this, an output that feeds a powered speaker is more use to
you than a headphone output.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the OP has the gain on her
speakers set way too high.

larrylook

"Paul" wrote in message

"larrylook" wrote in message

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a headphone
jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but volume is too
low.

Blue is normally line in. Light green would be line out, and pink the
microphone input. Puzzled to hear that you're getting headphones output

on
blue.

One computer has from L to R on back of sound card pink, green, blue
the other computer has black, green, pink, blue, orange. Both are Gateway's
bought new 1-2 years ago. The speakers that came with the computer (r and l
and subwoofer plug into the pink and green inputs.) I guess pink gets
microphone capability to one (L) speaker.

I was trying sound out from one speaker (headphone jack) and volume was too
low. Will try green next and let you know how it goes, now that I know
more. Hopefully this will work. Sorry I can't do it now.

I see in control panel - sounds and audio divices - properties there are 5
tabs which are volume, sounds, audio, voice, and hardware. Which of these
do I fool with to get higher volume sound (more output from computer going
to receiver?

Paul

Mark Hansen

On 1/26/2005 10:01, larrylook wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

"larrylook" wrote in message

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a headphone
jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but volume is too
low.

Blue is normally line in. Light green would be line out, and pink the
microphone input. Puzzled to hear that you're getting headphones output

on
blue.

One computer has from L to R on back of sound card pink, green, blue
the other computer has black, green, pink, blue, orange. Both are Gateway's
bought new 1-2 years ago. The speakers that came with the computer (r and l
and subwoofer plug into the pink and green inputs.) I guess pink gets
microphone capability to one (L) speaker.

You should not have to guess. The PC should have come with an Owner's
manual as well as a large hook-up sheet that explains what all
the connections are.

I was trying sound out from one speaker (headphone jack) and volume was too
low. Will try green next and let you know how it goes, now that I know
more. Hopefully this will work. Sorry I can't do it now.

I see in control panel - sounds and audio divices - properties there are 5
tabs which are volume, sounds, audio, voice, and hardware. Which of these
do I fool with to get higher volume sound (more output from computer going
to receiver?

Paul

TCS

"Paul" wrote in message

"larrylook" wrote in message

[...]

Green is standardized to be the stereo line-out.
Pink is IIRC a microphone input.

When in doubt, RTFM.
Arny Krueger

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

One computer has from L to R on back of sound card pink, green, blue

Mic (mono), output, and line in.

the other computer has black, green, pink, blue, orange.

Covered in detail by this page:

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v19/vic19.htm

black is for rear speakers, orange is for digial.

Aaron Horn

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

One computer has from L to R on back of sound card pink, green, blue

Mic (mono), output, and line in.

the other computer has black, green, pink, blue, orange.

Covered in detail by this page:

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v19/vic19.htm

black is for rear speakers, orange is for digial.

IIRC, orange is front+LFE.

--
Regards,
Aaron.
Jerry G.

The line out from the computer audio card should be the lime coloured (green
like) jack. This is supposed to be a standard line output that is compatible
to a standard consumer type amplifier.

You will need an adaptor that goes from a 3.5 mm stereo plug, to a pair of
stereo RCA type phono plugs on a wire length.

If there are any ground loops, or isolation problems, this can be from the
switching supply in the computer. In this case, things can get more
complicated.

As for the volume control setting on the computer, the maximum amount will
be the correct value to feed to the amplifier. If you need more gain, you
will need a stereo line level pre-amp unit to boost the computer output.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"larrylook" wrote in message
[...]

larrylook

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The line out from the computer audio card should be the lime coloured

(green
like) jack. This is supposed to be a standard line output that is

compatible
to a standard consumer type amplifier.

You will need an adaptor that goes from a 3.5 mm stereo plug, to a pair of
stereo RCA type phono plugs on a wire length.

If there are any ground loops, or isolation problems, this can be from the
switching supply in the computer. In this case, things can get more
complicated.

As for the volume control setting on the computer, the maximum amount will
be the correct value to feed to the amplifier. If you need more gain, you
will need a stereo line level pre-amp unit to boost the computer output.

Thanks. We went with green out. Turning volume up high on computer. But
theres a hum when volume is off (?grounding problem or something). Not sure
how to eliminate that. Next sound card (in my next computer) will have L
and R rca ouputs (if they make sound cards like that).

--

Jerry G.
=====

"larrylook" wrote in message
[...]

Richard Crowley

"larrylook" wrote -
Thanks. We went with green out. Turning volume up high
on computer.

What are you feeding it in to? I have never seen a computer that
didn't put out a quite acceptable level from the green (line-out)
jack.

Are you sure you have all the levels set properly in the computer?
On virtually all computers there are separate volume controls for
each source, as well as a "master" level. Generally the source
and master volume should each be set at 50-75% If one is high
and the other is low, you will hear the kinds of diminshed signal
to noise ratio problems as you are describing.

All the unused sources should be muted (or adjusted to zero).
This will keep them from feeding gratuitous noise for no reason.

But theres a hum when volume is off (?grounding problem or
something).

I'd get the level problems sorted out first. You may be hearing hum
just because you are running unusually high gain in the amp.

Not sure
how to eliminate that. Next sound card (in my next computer)
will have L and R rca ouputs (if they make sound cards like that).

Usually not. You shouldn't need RCA outputs to solve this kind
of problem.
larrylook

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"larrylook" wrote -
Thanks. We went with green out. Turning volume up high
on computer.

What are you feeding it in to? I have never seen a computer that
didn't put out a quite acceptable level from the green (line-out)
jack.

Are you sure you have all the levels set properly in the computer?
On virtually all computers there are separate volume controls for
each source, as well as a "master" level. Generally the source
and master volume should each be set at 50-75% If one is high
and the other is low, you will hear the kinds of diminshed signal
to noise ratio problems as you are describing.

Will work on this soon, my job has been overloading me with work. Sounds
like you're quite knowledgeable and maybe you've got the solution to the hum
problem. I have rca jacks in the wall, that I plug into, and a system with
baluns (to avoid signal degradation) as the signal is going to the home
theater roughly 50 to 60 feet away. I am now using the lime green line out
(not headphone jack).

All the unused sources should be muted (or adjusted to zero).
This will keep them from feeding gratuitous noise for no reason.

But theres a hum when volume is off (?grounding problem or
something).

I'd get the level problems sorted out first. You may be hearing hum
just because you are running unusually high gain in the amp.

Not sure
how to eliminate that. Next sound card (in my next computer)
will have L and R rca ouputs (if they make sound cards like that).

Usually not. You shouldn't need RCA outputs to solve this kind
of problem.

ptaylor

larrylook wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

"larrylook" wrote in message

Will try this tonight. I have blue (to headphones) salmon pink to pc
speakers, and light green on my Gateway PC. One speaker has a headphone
jack on it that's stereo and I've been trying that - but volume is too
low.

Blue is normally line in. Light green would be line out, and pink the
microphone input. Puzzled to hear that you're getting headphones output

on

blue.

One computer has from L to R on back of sound card pink, green, blue
the other computer has black, green, pink, blue, orange. Both are Gateway's
bought new 1-2 years ago. The speakers that came with the computer (r and l
and subwoofer plug into the pink and green inputs.) I guess pink gets
microphone capability to one (L) speaker.

Hmm,On my sound card (Soundblaster Live!) the jacks are the same way.
Black=output #2 (rear),Green=output #1 (front),red=mic input,blue=line
input,and yellow=Digital output (S/PDIF I think,for digital
recievers/surround sound)

So the second PC may have a SB Live! (or similar) sound card. With
Rear,and Digital outputs aswell as the usual out/line/mic jacks.

I was trying sound out from one speaker (headphone jack) and volume was too
low. Will try green next and let you know how it goes, now that I know
more. Hopefully this will work. Sorry I can't do it now.

I see in control panel - sounds and audio divices - properties there are 5
tabs which are volume, sounds, audio, voice, and hardware. Which of these
do I fool with to get higher volume sound (more output from computer going
to receiver?

Paul

ptaylor

larrylook wrote:

[...]

I have noticed alot of my soundcards over they years have gradually
become more quiet.Back when they had the on-board 1W amps for the
headphone out (remember the SB16,or AWE?) there was plenty of drive for
a home stereo..
Then a couple years back i upgraded,and the onboard sound was kinda
quiet,I had to CRANK my stereo to get it up to the volume it used to be
at,even with the software mixer maxed out (I usually run about 75-80%
volume on the mixers,or they tend to distort.)
Then I eventually built up a single tube preamp cause I was tired of
having to crank the volume up all the time..Think I've had 3-4 sound
cards since then,and they have all needed the preamp between my PC and
stereo preamp..
I think they are meant more for driving power amps directly,the signal
output seems about right,atleast for me..
Just remember to mute the power amp,and set the mixer volume low when
you reboot or something.. the windows startup sound nearly blasted me
across the room once!

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:41:34 -0500, "larrylook"
wrote:

Thanks. We went with green out. Turning volume up high on computer. But
theres a hum when volume is off (?grounding problem or something). Not sure
how to eliminate that. Next sound card (in my next computer) will have L
and R rca ouputs (if they make sound cards like that).

If sound is important to you, spend a surprisingly small amount of
money and put a better sound card in this machine. The M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 is selling for a very attractive price. It's easy to
install it to a spare PCI slot. Then all you have to do is disable
the onboard sound in BIOS setup.

You won't be ABLE to specify good sound in a commercially-built new
machine. Unless you go to a specialist firm that make computers for
recording studios, computer makers think a SoundBlaster Audigy is the
best sound card you can get. There's a whole other world of computer
audio, (and it doesn't have to be as expensive as an Audigy:-)
Tomi Holger Engdahl

"larrylook" writes:

Will work on this soon, my job has been overloading me with work. Sounds
like you're quite knowledgeable and maybe you've got the solution to the hum
problem.

Take a look at the following documents:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...e_solving.html
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

I have rca jacks in the wall, that I plug into, and a system with
baluns (to avoid signal degradation) as the signal is going to the home
theater roughly 50 to 60 feet away. I am now using the lime green line out
(not headphone jack).

What kind of baluns do you use ?

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Arny Krueger

"larrylook" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote in message

Thanks. We went with green out. Turning volume up high on computer.
But theres a hum when volume is off (?grounding problem or
something).

Grounding problem for sure.

Not sure how to eliminate that.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Ground-Loops/

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

Next sound card (in my
next computer) will have L and R rca ouputs (if they make sound cards
like that).

RCA's don't make much diffrence when it comes to grounding problems.
Admittedly the mini stereo jacks are on the fragile side and require that
you add an adaptor. OTOH, it would be kinda difficult to get so many outputs
on the back edge of a PCI card without them.

larrylook

Tomi Holger Engdahl wrote:
"larrylook" writes:

Will work on this soon, my job has been overloading me with work.

Sounds
like you're quite knowledgeable and maybe you've got the solution

to the hum
problem.

Take a look at the following documents:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...e_solving.html
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

I have rca jacks in the wall, that I plug into, and a system with
baluns (to avoid signal degradation) as the signal is going to the

home
theater roughly 50 to 60 feet away. I am now using the lime green

line out
(not headphone jack).

What kind of baluns do you use ?

I had a audio company put the wires and baluns in so I'll have to ask
them. They said it would help the signal. But we haven't solved the
low volume and hum problem. The line out on the hp laptop also gives
some hum. Will try another desktop this weekend to see. I didn't
realize it would be this complicated and maybe I wasted money on the
long line and baluns during house renovation, but still hoping I can
solve problem (or next computer will solve problem. I wanted sound out
of computer, going to home theater 50-60 feet away in the family room
thru new Yamaha receiver. This sends sound to the whole house and the
deck outside.