bob

Default need wiring help

hello all,

I like to build a MTM style center speaker.

I need the speaker to be 8 ohm.

Can I use an 8 ohm tweeter and two 8 ohm midwoofers? I will use a 2nd
order crossover for this.

When I draw this combination out I get 2.6 ohms, ie., wire the two 8
ohm mids in parallel and then wire tweeter in parallel with the mids.

Another I way is to wire the two mids in series and then wire the
tweeter parallel with the mids. This would give me 5.3 ohms.

I guess I can use one 16 ohm tweeter and two 8 ohm mids in parallel
but all the 2nd order crossover schematics I looked at showed people
using only 8 or 6 ohm speakers.

My power amp will handle only 6 to 16 ohms.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks.
henryf

bob wrote:
hello all,

I like to build a MTM style center speaker.

I need the speaker to be 8 ohm.

Can I use an 8 ohm tweeter and two 8 ohm midwoofers? I will use a 2nd
order crossover for this.

When I draw this combination out I get 2.6 ohms, ie., wire the two 8
ohm mids in parallel and then wire tweeter in parallel with the mids.

Another I way is to wire the two mids in series and then wire the
tweeter parallel with the mids. This would give me 5.3 ohms.

I guess I can use one 16 ohm tweeter and two 8 ohm mids in parallel
but all the 2nd order crossover schematics I looked at showed people
using only 8 or 6 ohm speakers.

Use two 4-Ohm mids in series -- as an 8 Ohm midwoofer -- plus
an 8-Ohm tweeter. Then use a crossover that expects 8-Ohm
speakers.

bob

Use two 4-Ohm mids in series -- as an 8 Ohm midwoofer -- plus
an 8-Ohm tweeter. Then use a crossover that expects 8-Ohm
speakers.

Thank you for your reply.

So now the high pass(tweeter) is 8 ohm and the low pass is now 8 ohm.

When you look at the schematic of the 2nd order crossover the low
pass(tweeter)(+) terminal is connected to the high pass (mid)(+)
terminal and the same with the (-) terminal.

for example:

(+)-------------
| |(+)
| tweeter
| |(-)
| |
| |
--|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
| |
(-)--------------

Are you not essentially connecting in parallel, which you would end up
with 4 0hm?

Please tell me if I got this incorrect?

Thanks.

bob

Use two 4-Ohm mids in series -- as an 8 Ohm midwoofer -- plus
an 8-Ohm tweeter. Then use a crossover that expects 8-Ohm
speakers.

Thank you for your reply.

So now the high pass(tweeter) is 8 ohm and the low pass is now 8 ohm.

When you look at the schematic of the 2nd order crossover the low
pass(tweeter)(+) terminal is connected to the high pass (mid)(+)
terminal and the same with the (-) terminal.

for example:

(+)-------------
| |(+)
| tweeter
| |(-)
| |
| |
--|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
| |
(-)--------------

Are you not essentially connecting in parallel, which you would end up
with 4 0hm?

Please tell me if I got this incorrect?

Thanks.
bob

Use two 4-Ohm mids in series -- as an 8 Ohm midwoofer -- plus
an 8-Ohm tweeter. Then use a crossover that expects 8-Ohm
speakers.

Thank you for your reply.

So now the high pass(tweeter) is 8 ohm and the low pass is now 8 ohm.

When you look at the schematic of the 2nd order crossover the low
pass(tweeter)(+) terminal is connected to the high pass (mid)(+)
terminal and the same with the (-) terminal.

for example:

(+)-------------
| |(+)
| tweeter
| |(-)
| |
| |
--|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
|(+) |
mid |
|(-) |
| |
(-)--------------

Are you not essentially connecting in parallel, which you would end up
with 4 0hm?

Please tell me if I got this incorrect?

Thanks.
bob

No, because the crossover greatly increases impedance outside the pass
band, hence at low frequencies the tweeeter section has a very high
impedance. The nominal impedance of the whole speaker remains at 8
ohms.

So, if you have two 16 ohm mids connected in parallel in the low pass
and 8 ohm tweeter, you can also have an 8 ohm speaker?

bob

No, because the crossover greatly increases impedance outside the pass
band, hence at low frequencies the tweeeter section has a very high
impedance. The nominal impedance of the whole speaker remains at 8
ohms.

So, if you have two 16 ohm mids connected in parallel in the low pass
and 8 ohm tweeter, you can also have an 8 ohm speaker?

Help - wiring identity Pioneer OEM CD changer HHamil7780 Car Audio 3 July 4th 04 04:49 PM
VW Factory CD Changer - Wiring Diagram? Kevin Gibbons Car Audio 1 June 18th 04 02:12 AM
Wiring for component "drawers"? Michael Volow General 2 March 13th 04 03:46 AM
Acura/Bose Amp wiring Martik Car Audio 1 March 7th 04 02:43 AM
wiring a used DVA-5205 to test? Robert Drake Car Audio 1 August 14th 03 04:09 AM