Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Digiman Digiman is offline

Default Speaker improvment

Okey, while the rest of you have meta-debates on the pros and cons of
perfect reproduction of 25Khz test-tones, here's a little report on speaker
improvment.
My Infinity SM155, bought for experimenting, has dramatically improved.
Mostly in the bass and soundstage department.
Dampening was done in four stages.

Adhesive 3mm bitumen plates on nearly all inner surfaces.
2 x 2by4" beams attached to inside of back panel horizontally
100mm rockwool covering inside of back panel and bottom.
15mm adhesive rockwool attached to inside of front baffle.

Replaced springloaded terminals with bolt and nut-type.
Black felt attached to front baffle surrounding tweeter
and half of upper mid-speaker.
Plastic feet replaced with soft heavy rubber.
Rubber ring behind bass driver replaced with new soft material.

The most interesting thing is that the soundstage improved
with each step of dampening. Of course we all know that cabinet vibrations
and -noise are not "in stereo" and so destroys the illusion of a soundstage
but it was still fun to hear this phenomena in real life.
My 155's are now almost invisible in the soundstage. Vocals are pinpointed
where they should be, and not, like, "over there somewhere" as before.
I know a lot of you will rise your eyebrows at this claim, but this is still
what my ears tell me.
Also, the bass was, well, "wild" and boomy. Now its much more accurate,
melodic and restrained.
The speakers are now well worth the $350 that I paid for them and will be
put to good use
in the home cinema part of my audio setup.
______
Digiman