Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Joanas McSwain Joanas McSwain is offline

Default Stanton 881S bent cantilever...

I did a moronic thing a couple of months ago.
I was cleaning the plinth of my Thorens TD316 TT with a cloth and yes the
cloth caught the stylus on my 881S cartridge.

It bent it backwards, toward the rear of the TT at maybe a 70 degree angle.
Straight back.
No side to side bending at all.

I've carefully managed to bend it back to what appears to be the correct
angle and it seems to play fine as far as I can tell.

There is however a slight "flattening" of the cantilever where the bend
was.
IOW it is not tubular at one point but slightly squashed.

Aside from my stupidity, any comments?

This stylus is impossible to get and since I am now using a Shure V15VxMR
Type V I am not too concerned.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:55:46 -0800, Joanas McSwain wrote
(in article ):

I did a moronic thing a couple of months ago.
I was cleaning the plinth of my Thorens TD316 TT with a cloth and yes the
cloth caught the stylus on my 881S cartridge.

It bent it backwards, toward the rear of the TT at maybe a 70 degree angle.
Straight back.
No side to side bending at all.

I've carefully managed to bend it back to what appears to be the correct
angle and it seems to play fine as far as I can tell.

There is however a slight "flattening" of the cantilever where the bend
was.
IOW it is not tubular at one point but slightly squashed.

Aside from my stupidity, any comments?

This stylus is impossible to get and since I am now using a Shure V15VxMR
Type V I am not too concerned.

The flattened section of the tubular aluminum cantilever has no strength in
that direction. The slightest movement will break it. Believe me, we've all
had it happen if we have had much experience with vinyl.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Gary M. Stewart Gary M. Stewart is offline

On 12 Dec 2008 04:42:22 GMT, Sonnova wrote:

[...]

Of course the engineer in me wants to insert a hard tube into it and
"pound" it into shape.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[...]

Well it's not totally flat, just not round.
IOW it's not mashed, just not round.

If it were clamped, IOW the tube totally squashed I would agree but this is
not nearly the case.

I've played a number of discs with it and it seems fine to be honest.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 11, 6:55 pm, Joanas McSwain wrote:
I was cleaning the plinth of my Thorens TD316 TT with a
cloth and yes the cloth caught the stylus on my 881S cartridge.
It bent it backwards, toward the rear of the TT at maybe a 70
degree angle.
This stylus is impossible to get

Did you try:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...od e=STNS881S

Also ebay and other forums?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:12:48 -0800, Gary M. Stewart wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I'd like to see someone try to do that with a tube that is essentially the
same thickness as a piece of aluminum foil.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:47:21 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 11, 6:55 pm, Joanas McSwain wrote:
I was cleaning the plinth of my Thorens TD316 TT with a
cloth and yes the cloth caught the stylus on my 881S cartridge.
It bent it backwards, toward the rear of the TT at maybe a 70
degree angle.
This stylus is impossible to get

Did you try:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...ode=LG&Product

_Code=STNS881S

Also ebay and other forums?

Shibata stylus, yet! I'll bet that this replacement will sound much better
than the original. I had an original 881S once and was not terribly
impressed. I thought the soundstage was rather two dimensional.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Digiman Digiman is offline

"Joanas McSwain" wrote in message
I did a moronic thing a couple of months ago.
I was cleaning the plinth of my Thorens TD316 TT with a cloth and yes the
cloth caught the stylus on my 881S cartridge.

It bent it backwards, toward the rear of the TT at maybe a 70 degree
angle.
Straight back.
No side to side bending at all.

I've carefully managed to bend it back to what appears to be the correct
angle and it seems to play fine as far as I can tell.

There is however a slight "flattening" of the cantilever where the bend
was.
IOW it is not tubular at one point but slightly squashed.

Aside from my stupidity, any comments?

This stylus is impossible to get and since I am now using a Shure V15VxMR
Type V I am not too concerned.

First, Im norwegian, pardon my english.
Like Joanas, i have a sad cartridge story involving a Clearaudio Aurum and a
Thorens TD126MkIII
Last weekend I had some friends over, there were drinks... and I broke the
rule
I have about not playing LP's while partying. The next morning, well, around
noon, I got into the living room and found my turntable still turning, with
the cartridge well into the inner groove of Rush's Caress Of Steel..(yeah, I
know..)
There were foul language and gnashing of teeth.
After two days i finally had the guts to test the cartridge, and it seems it
has survived! There is no lack in detail in high or low frequencies. How is
this possible?
___________
Digiman
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Digiman" wrote in message
[...]

You only put an extra 12 hours or so on it, so why wouldn't it still work?
What did you do to it that would damage it?

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:56:36 -0800, Digiman wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Because diamond is very hard, requiring thousands of hours to wear
noticeably. 12 to 24 hours is NOTHING! Oh, and the mechanical parts of a
cartridge don't really wear. They usually fail due to age-related problems
such as rubber parts deteriorating with time.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

In the days of, I made the same mistake several times. No harm seemed to be
done to the stylus, but the lead-out grooves of the LP involved seemed to be
noisier. No biggie in terms of enjoying the music, but it was there.