Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ruud Broens

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:56:47 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:24 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : Vinyl, on the best day of its life, is around 12 bits
: : : equivalent. The widest dynamic range known on a music
: : : master tape is around 80dB, 14 bits will allow a properly
: : : dithered dynamic range of 81dB. What's the problem?
: : :: snip, irrelevant
: : :
: : Explain why your claimed dynamic range of mastertapes is relevant
: : to the establishment of a hifi standard of dynamic range.
: :
: : It sets the limit to what the replay medium need encompass.
: :
: : Actual music should set the dynamic range target, not some
: : -- this is technically possible in the 80's -- arbitrary range.
: :
: : Actual live music never exceeds about 85-90dB,
: : even under *very* exceptional circumstances, and is
: : more commonly 65-70dB dynamic range.
:
: So you're saying a 90 dB dynamic range is there for the taking,
: but your listening room's awfully noisy airco makes it impossible
: to enjoy ? No wonder you claim all amps sound the same :-)
:
: Are you being deliberately obscure, or are you just stupid? I'm
: referring to the dynamic range of the *original performance*.

don't go into politics, SP - your rebuttals lack convincing power ;-)
:
: Besides, I live in the UK, and as is the norm here, I don't have
: aircon. I do have one slow-running fan in the room, in my Krell, and
: that does set the noise floor in the room, at something in the
: mid-20s. It's a *very* quiet room - one advantage of living in the
: country, with a concrete slab floor, 13" thick walls and deep triple
: glazing. The *room* is certainly capable of achieving 90dB dynamic
: range, even if there's no available *recording* with that range.
:
: : this century, they can attain higher master tape quality, Stewart:
: : http://www.strongestudios.com/folio.html
: : so your 80 dB sound like a gospel :-)
: :
: : You don't know much about recording, do you Ruud? There's no way that
: : will exceed 65dB dynamic range.
: :
: : no numbers, but interesting anyway :
: : http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2192/essays7.html
: :
: : Rudy
: : heard a concert grand played up close
: : 80 dB for real ? no Sttway, Jose
: :
: : You are confusing dynamic range with maxiumum SPL, the *noise floor*
: : will hardly ever be less than 40dB SPL.
: : --
: -you mean, you've got _that much_ noise coming from your speakers
: ... that's sad.
: -- you are confusing facts with your overheated imagination, SP
: --- omniscience claim noted.
:
: Your idiocy continues. That's the noise floor of the concert hall,
: only studio recordings are able to get below a 30dB noise floor, and
: that would require pretty quiet breathing on the part of the
: performers. As noted above, with only me sitting quietly in it, my
: listening room is somewhere in the mid-20s (very difficult to measure
: due to self-noise in the microphone).

Interesting tactic - first rewriting music as _live music_, then claiming
from that point onwards that's what i wrote
- taken lessons in the debating trade ?
:
: : Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering
:
: As from environmental factors, 27 dB daytime eq. reported in NL iirc.
: That's in average living rooms, should be better in your dedicated room
: , i presume.
:
: I have yet to find an *average* living room that quiet, I'd have said
: that 30-35 dB was more normal in daytime, more for urban dwellings.
:
: I'm not confusing, i'm detracting one from the other, eh ?
: in this case**, 110 - 20 = 90 dB range.
:
: From where did you get the 20?
I got lucky - found it in a breakfast cereal box
- where did you find your 40, P.?
....deceptive editing noted.....**

: but anyway, surely you're not
: saying that the background noise level in a listening room should
: dictate the range that should be captured on a medium ?
:
: No, you completely misread what I wrote. For most people, it does
: however set a limit of around 70-80dB in the replay system, from the
: 30-35 of the room noise floor to the 105-110 of the system at the
: listening position.

agreed.

Exceptionally quiet rooms housing exceptionally
: powerful systems can extend this to a little more than 90dB, which is
: wider than you'll ever need.

a little more ? need ?? to use a direct quote: Bull****!
evidently, _you_ misread music as live music ...
without it, of course, you argumentation falls utterly apart.

Have fun at the fringe festival,
Rudy
: --
:
: Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering