Michael Zaiontz

Default New Turntable without a cartridge

Hi!

I am looking for a new turntable in the $400 range that comes without a
cartridge. I have a new V15VxMR cartridge I want to use. The turntable
can be either direct drive or belt driven. I'd hate to buy one with a
cartridge then remove the cartridge rather than put all the money
directly into a turntable. What are you recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike.

Michael Zaiontz wrote:
Hi!

I am looking for a new turntable in the $400 range that comes without a
cartridge. I have a new V15VxMR cartridge I want to use. The turntable
can be either direct drive or belt driven. I'd hate to buy one with a
cartridge then remove the cartridge rather than put all the money
directly into a turntable. What are you recommendations?

The actual cost of the cartridge to the turntable manufacturer is
probably trivial. IOW, the difference in quality between a $400 table
with a cartridge and a $400 table without one is close to nil. You
might even be able to sell the extra cartridge for a few bucks.

If I were you, I'd be much more concerned with finding a table that
would work well with your cartridge. The vinyl mavens here can probably
help you with that.

bob
Eric

Michael Zaiontz wrote:

I am looking for a new turntable in the $400 range that comes without a
cartridge. I have a new V15VxMR cartridge I want to use. The turntable
can be either direct drive or belt driven. I'd hate to buy one with a
cartridge then remove the cartridge rather than put all the money
directly into a turntable. What are you recommendations?

Browse at http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...cat=120&page=1
BEAR

Michael Zaiontz wrote:

Hi!

I am looking for a new turntable in the $400 range that comes without a
cartridge. I have a new V15VxMR cartridge I want to use. The turntable
can be either direct drive or belt driven. I'd hate to buy one with a
cartridge then remove the cartridge rather than put all the money
directly into a turntable. What are you recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike.

Find a high quality used turntable, preferably belt drive for lowest
noise, and one with a good arm. These days they are not going for a ton
of money for a pretty good set up. I'd browse Audiogon's classifieds and
auction site and see what things are going for and what they look like.

Imho, the Shure cartridge is a pile of doo doo. :- )
Some may like them, but they have always sounded like boom and sizzle to
me - the newer higher quality ones like better boom and sizzle, but
to my ears they lack midrange quality somehow. The Grados are favored by
many, but to me they are all middle, and have no bottom or top. Again,
the newer top of the line stuff is less so...

For a low cost cartridge, Audio Technica makes a very good, smooth range
of cartridges.

For best sound, I think it is safe to say that these days the best is
Moving Coil, and there are numerous brands and types to chose from, each
with some benefits and deficits. I've had excellent luck buying used,
but caveat emptor, and a nice high power eye loupe to look at the stylus
and cantelever for wear is a good idea - with the right of return if
bought sight unseen is nice.

I think the Sumiko Blue Point is still around as an entry level MC
cartridge, and isn't bad at all.

Set up matters for ur TT and arm/cartridge combo. Small changes are
audible. VTA, overhang, tracking force, anti-skate, TT
mount/isolation...etc. Cartridge loading is important too.

_-_-bear
Norman M. Schwartz

wrote in message ...
Michael Zaiontz wrote:
Hi!

I am looking for a new turntable in the $400 range that comes without a
cartridge. I have a new V15VxMR cartridge I want to use. The turntable
can be either direct drive or belt driven. I'd hate to buy one with a
cartridge then remove the cartridge rather than put all the money
directly into a turntable. What are you recommendations?

The actual cost of the cartridge to the turntable manufacturer is
probably trivial. IOW, the difference in quality between a $400 table
with a cartridge and a $400 table without one is close to nil. You
might even be able to sell the extra cartridge for a few bucks.

If I were you, I'd be much more concerned with finding a table that
would work well with your cartridge. The vinyl mavens here can probably
help you with that.

I've been tempted to get one of these even though my TD-125 works for me.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sku=MHMMF2.1LE
They have lots of other fine tts as well ( I'm not connected to Audio
Advisor in any way other than being a satisfied customer.)

In any event this is a nice place to buy and it's easy to return anything
that doesn't workout for you